It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Border agents exempt from new racial profiling rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

EL PASO, Texas -- The Justice Department's new guidelines to reduce racial profiling do not include Border Patrol Agents or other Homeland Security agencies in the "vicinity of the border."

... gives the "green light" to profile at or in the vicinity of the border. "Vicinity" has not been clearly defined

KENS 5

With more than 1/3 of the U.S population living in a coastal area (NOAA) this raised an eyebrow for me. If you're black and in Buffalo you can be stopped just to see if you're a Muslim extremist from Nigeria. Puerto Rican and live in New Orleans? Yep, you get checked out too. All you Swedes in Portland? You might be a terrorist. ( o.k., that might be a stretch but you get the point.)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Sorry but to do there job they have to profile!

It would be a waste of time searching white peoole.

Example:

I flew from london to NY, my plane landed at the same time as a chinese flight and a african flight.
They put us all in a que togther and due to the high load would let most walk through and only really stop and look eith any intrest at a random few.

Now who is more likely to be of concern?
A white englisman?
Chinese?
African?

Well it will be the last 2 and if there were allowed to profile they eould likely catch more illegals.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with profiling by targeting a certain demographic, if statistically speaking, that demographic is proven to be more likely to be doing whatever it is that is not allowed. Presumably this is about illegal immigration, since we are talking about border patrol agents. In the US, it is generally statistically more likely by a very large margin, that an hispanic is an illegal, rather than a white, black, or asian.

Given such, NOT profiling based on ethnicity in this case is simply an exercise in artificial inefficiency.

edit on 12/9/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

But how do you profile an "american"?
What does an american look like?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

So a latino whose family has lived in El Paso since 1805 just better deal with homeland security stopping him whenever they feel like?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

So a latino whose family has lived in El Paso since 1805 just better deal with homeland security stopping him whenever they feel like?

I guess so yes.

It would be a waste of time for border control to go round chaseing every middle class white American just to make minority groups feel less profiled.

How would you handle border control then?

Being fair= being inefficient and expensive.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

But how do you profile an "american"?
What does an american look like?

I dont think the border patrol, nor DHS, is looking for Americans. They are looking for non-Americans illegally in the country, and terrorists, respectively.

Non-Americans illegally in the US are by and large hispanic. The number of white illegals is probably near 0, and black and asian illegals extremely low, relative to hispanic ones. Choosing to ignore this data and randomly target rather than target based on the most likely candidates, is a laughable way of trying to stem the problem of illegals.

Terrorists, though while they may be any color, at this point in time given the current world stage, it is far, far more likely that a terrorist is going to be of ME descent rather than say, Polish descent. Once again, choosing to ignore this data and randomly target rather than target based on the most likely candidates, is a laughable way of trying to stop a potential terrorist from entering the country.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

As I understand it, TSA is also exempt.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

I'm of the opinion DHS is keeping a close eye on a lot of Americans.

edit on 9-12-2014 by quercusrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

So if your skin color isn't white, we have have reason to believe you might be a terrorist or an illegal cause a majority of those are not white.
Sounds legit, damn its good to be white!
Can get away with what ever you want cause all the authorities are not looking at ya

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just another one of the privileges of being born White.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

So if your skin color isn't white, we have have reason to believe you might be a terrorist or an illegal cause a majority of those are not white.

Sounds legit, damn its good to be white!
Can get away with what ever you want cause all the authorities are not looking at ya

Youve fundamentally misunderstood my postings. It has nothing to do with skin color at the core level; it has everything to do with statistical probabilities. Please review the postings and look at them logically, rather than with the intent of becoming outraged and indignant the moment you see the word "white" mentioned.

edit on 12/9/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
My point focuses around the idea of "intent" vs possibility of misuse. This directive from the Justice Dept allows for any non-white to be stopped in Miami, New York, or Houston.

With the vagueness of what constitutes a border area this directive could extend to actually cover the majority of the population of the U.S.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

No I got it, you are saying that since a majority of illegals are from central america then they need to look for people that look like they are from central america.
Then you said terrorist could be white, but lets be real, they are going to be middle eastern based on the context of world events right now, so again, authorities need to focus their attention on middle eastern looking people.

So where in that does it not benefit to be white?

And where am I wrong in saying that if you are white and doing either of those things you have a higher chance of not getting caught since the authorities are targeting other people and rightfully so?
edit on thTue, 09 Dec 2014 17:37:41 -0600America/Chicago1220144180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
OP I doubt there's many WASPS and residents of Cornwall trying to break into the United States. I don't see the problem here.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No I got it, you are saying that since a majority of illegals are from central america then they need to look for people that look like they are from central america.
Then you said terrorist could be white, but lets be real, they are going to be middle eastern based on the context of world events right now, so again, authorities need to focus their attention on middle eastern looking people.

So where in that does it not benefit to be white?

You are race baiting, otherwise you would have said "...white, black or asian?", as black and asian were also clearly mentioned in the post you responded too

If you cannot see logic and reason, and are going to immediately start playing the oppressed non-white victim card, Im done with ya

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
It all has to due with potential. I have a friend who is American of Irish and Italian descent. He is darker skinned with brown eyes and black thick hair. He looks so Hispanic that people come up to him speaking Spanish. Is it right for DHS to stop him if he's walking around New Jersey?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Why would they stop him in Jersey?

What makes you think the vicinity of the border extends north (or south if you consider Canada) to Jersey? And considering this administration's "please use us as a doormat and provider" attitude towards illegals do you really think he'd be stopped for that?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Just another one of the privileges of being born White.

Well how would you handle it?

Where is the sense to waste money and time chaseing groups that very likely wont be illegal immigrants?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme Jersey is on the coast, thus also on the border.

<<   2 >>

join