It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have a Simple Solution To Stop Police Brutality

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am all for eliminating any type of police brutality or corruption.

That being said there is this thing called the human element.

Because of it you will always have incidents of brutality, corruption, and people getting away with things that they shouldn't.

It doesn't matter if it's the police, judges, lawyers, insurance salesman, doctors etc. Bad things will always be done by people and sometimes they are caught and punished and sometimes they get away with it.

I am not quite sure how things can change unless human nature itself changes.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IntastellaBurst

Just a thought i had and will throw it out there for comment . How about all levels of law enforcement under go a mandatory lie detector test every 3,6, or 12 months . It only has to be simple although i don't know much about these tests . Simple questions but basically have you done anything illegal or outside the scope of your job in the last twelve months . If they were to fail then pull them aside and ask them what it was that might have made them fail the test . Then given that they can explain why re test them with that explanation in mind . Yes i know these tests can be wrong and are possible to cheat but not everyone will be able to do so . It would not be the be all and end all of checks but might be a good starting point . Call it the police state for members of the police state . Testers should be totally independent of the police force . This should also be in place for anyone with access to children .
edit on 6-12-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree that any oversight of law enforcement should be completely independant.

However i dont think their union would ever allow them to be tested, ever.

Lie dectectors are not only innaccurate, they can be beaten.

Fortunately we are living in an exciting time technologicaly, and in the future well be able to read peoples minds, so lying will no longer be their ally.

I just think there are so many, little things, like searching people without right, not following procedure, bending rules to make charges stick, things that need to be addressed and not buried under s.o.p.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The best solution is how we say the best solution for civilians is, which is making an example of bad ones. Make a law that from now on if a Cop is proven, meaning video evidence, of unjustified police brutality, they get tied to a post and get 30 lashes by the person they were brutal too, and it is filmed and a televised event across the world.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Xtrozero

Finally someone who gets it.

I don't remember seeing Andy Griffith commit acts of brutality.

No, and neither do the cops in my neck of he woods

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

They ruled that there was no federal jurisdiction. And again, what does the Constitution have to say about what law enforcement is supposed to do?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Asked and answered

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Can I understand your stance as follows; Because of the dynamic, high stress, dangerous/life threatening duty of police officers, it is ok/justified/right/good (you must if this is the stance you accept, that it is good, because if you admit it is bad, but offer no punishment, then its not really bad, bad gets punishment, bad something can be done about, punishment, good, needs no punishment, if your stance is no punishment is needed, your stance is that the behavior is good) for cops to make mistakes be it 'accidental death' and/or excessive violence/brutality?

In short, need to break an egg to make an omelette, the ends justify the means etc.

If that is the stance you hold; Do you conceptualize even a theoretical and/or hypothetical line, where as you would say; "Ok, that was OBVIOUSLY uncalled for, not a good/rational/civil/righteous act, and I believe that officer deserves at least some sort of punishment"?

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IntastellaBurst
Police forget, they are meant to serve and protect US, the people !

What if there was a way to hold them accountable for their behavior and actions at ALL times ??

I propose a police Demerit system.

Where anyone can submit a demerit request to the cheif or union.

Every 3 demerits would be unpaid time off, and the 7th demerit would be termination.

The demerits would also come off of an officers record the following year, same day. To allow officers the opportunity to change their behavior.

I agree this suggestion is good, however, demanding government apply of the rule of law on assault would be be much more effective. The issue is not what to do about police violence but the lack of enforcement of laws about assault, excessive force etc is the real answer. Anything is is just distraction, dilution and diffusion of focus and effort.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Asked and answered

Please point me to your answer.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I kind of hate to say this as I know the massive outcry it will induce BUT

In the UK and Ireland at least the police are not armed, neither are the people and the level of police brutality is considerably lower and police homicides non-existent for the most part.

Sorry but America has to disarm!

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

I never said any of that

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I find it shocking that (no offence to the OP) there is even a subscribed thread on ways to stop Police Brutality! Then, claiming points, like in sport, to penalise a brutal, inneffective police officer.

Why are the protectors of law and order becoming brutal and an affront to the badge they wear?

What about this, every officer has to get 100 Civil Points per year to get their bonus which is 30% of their annual salary?

Civil Points are gained by doing good things, neighbourhood patrols, tallking at youth groups, moving on trouble makers. They will be lost with dumb ass moves.

BTW - a drug dealer can be arrested without slamming their head into the pavement. Let the people vote on brutality.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18742380]TheCrowMan[

Remember,

It is not only police brutality Id like to deal with, but the multitude of other things.

( personaly id rather get punched in the face than catch a false charge )

The police are out there ruining peoples lives, they arrest someone who hasnt done anything, and this person spends the next few years putting their lives together.

We need to get the bad ones OUT. And take the pressure of quotas off of the good ones !

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
a reply to: ImaFungi

I never said any of that

I didnt say you did. I asked questions pertaining to the principled nature of the intellect and its very real relation to the reality it finds itself in, with only the hopes you would attempt to answer said questions. And then I am sorry if I have falsely judged your stance, as I felt I perceived it as, in this seemingly like always occurs with the mass public and mass media, the extreme side war "cops always right"(/blacks are always bad) vs. "Cops should be held accountable when they behave unjustly, when they make lethal and near lethal mistakes that could have been avoided by other means of civil action", which is what these past few weeks have seemed like. Did you watch the Eric Garner video? If so, what did you think of it, and do you think the cop did his job properly, and do you think the cop should be punished?
edit on 7-12-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Interesting idea. Infact. There should be situations where the demerit is worth 3 or more demerits. Such examples are a cop (or group of cops) killing someone and also cops confiscating recording equipment would get 3 or more demerits. Like a degree of demerit. 1 demerit would be for some offenses, 2 would be for medium offenses, and 3 or more would be for offenses in direct violation of constitutional rights and for major crimes commited by the police. That way, the police won't have the oppotunity to act like a legal version of a gang that gets away with stuff. Why don't the police try to get to know the community? Why don't they go after REAL crime and GANGS instead of common citizens with minor to no offenses. They just want to milk the system for the money and fuel the prison industrial complex.
edit on 7-12-2014 by ShadowGhost because: Added more information

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowGhost

Police departments across the country participate in all kinds of community based programs. There are neighborhood watch group meetings, ride alongs, citizen police academies, national night out, shop with a cop, the law enforcement torch run, coffee with a cop, tip a cop, the Police Athletic League (PAL), camp chance, community reading programs, and I could go on...

So please don't sit here and say the police don't try to get to know their communities because most agencies even have community policing divisions. The community members have to WANT to participate in such programs to make them successful. We can't force them. As I stated in many posts a positive relationship between the police and the community is a two way street. Both are responsible to maintain it.

Matter of fact where do you live? I bet there are multiple community programs that the police participate in. Have you ever helped them out or volunteered? Have you even checked to see what they have to offer?

Then you say police need to go after real criminals like they don't.

I have arrested people for murder, burglary, armed robbery, sexual battery, fraud, vehicle theft, etc. just like most officers. Yes sometimes I have to arrest people for minor things but such is life. It is apart of the job.

That is almost like saying that if a GM car salesman sells anything other than Corvettes they are not doing their job.

I don't get kickbacks for arresting people. I get paid the same amount of money whether I arrest 1 person a year or 1000. I went into the career to help my community and it is extremely insulting for you to sit here and say "I just want to milk the system."

Let me ask, what positive things have you done for your community?

The last person I asked that question to never responded. Don't let me down.
edit on 7-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join