It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: FBI warns of 'destructive' malware in wake of Sony attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Interesting little snippet from Reuters here :

The Federal Bureau of Investigation warned U.S. businesses that hackers have used malicious software to launch a destructive cyberattack in the United States, following a devastating breach last week at Sony Pictures Entertainment. Cybersecurity experts said the malicious software described in the alert appeared to describe the one that affected Sony, which would mark first major destructive cyber attack waged against a company on U.S. soil. Such attacks have been launched in Asia and the Middle East, but none have been reported in the United States. The FBI report did not say how many companies had been victims of destructive attacks.

They go on to say this :

The technical section of the FBI report said some of the software used by the hackers had been compiled in Korean, but it did not discuss any possible connection to North Korea.

More here : www.reuters.com...

re/code have this to say :

Sony Pictures Entertainment is exploring the possibility that hackers working on behalf of North Korea, perhaps operating out of China, may be behind a devastating attack that brought the studio’s network to a screeching halt earlier this week, sources familiar with the matter tell Re/code. The timing of the attack coincides with the imminent release of “The Interview,” a Sony film that depicts a CIA plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. The nation’s ever-belligerent state propaganda outlets have threatened “merciless retaliation” against the U.S. and other nations if the film is released.

More here : recode.net...

Heff wrote a thread yesterday which explains the basics of the story for those of you who are not aware here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What do you respected members think... Serious attack on behalf of NK paid hackers or just a decent publicity stunt for the film (or even) the start of something in order to get rid of little big man with a bad haircut and a serious penchant for too many Mars Bars?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 2/12/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

lol @ Sony. you couldn't buy this kind of publicity .

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I think we are seeing the beginning of a new day concerning crime. But, maybe that's a good thing. No more Black Friday/Cyber Monday ads all over the place.

Just maybe it will help the masses realize what a actual gift means? You know, something that is useful year 'round.

I'm not encouraging the use of malware, and actually think that those who use it should be shot. But there is always a plus side. If it wakes people up to their idiotic spending habits, then there is a plus side.

Of course, everything is becoming digitized, so that's the down side of things.
edit on 2-12-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I think we are seeing the beginning of a new day concerning crime. But, maybe that's a good thing. No more Black Friday/Cyber Monday ads all over the place.

Just maybe it will help the masses realize what a actual gift means? You know, something that is useful year 'round.

I'm not encouraging the use of malware, and actually think that those who use it should be shot. But there is always a plus side. If it wakes people up to their idiotic spending habits, then there is a plus side.

Of course, everything is becoming digitized, so that's the down side of things.

Personally... I absolutely hate Malware too... but just love freebies...(especially films)... Methinks that this will not change spending habits of the Sheeple due to agressive marketing from companies such as Sony...

They will get over it...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Everything has been hacked, no one seems to care or pay any attention until their card is hacked. Even after that, it just business as usual until the next unauthorized charges appear.

About NK, why no ask Denis Rodman?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I'm not so sure if it's North Korea at all. In an article via the Verge, where they made contact with a possible member of Guardians of Peace, the group claiming the attack, this was their statement:

"We Want equality [sic]. Sony doesn't. It's an upward battle...Sony doesn't lock their doors, physically, so we worked with other staff with similar interests to get in."

In other words, it looks like somebody within Sony Pictures let GOP in and that doesn't sound necessarily North Korean. No mention of the movie at all either. I was poking around at this last night because I found the often repeated "nobody knows what they want" type of phrase to be worthy of an eyebrow raise. That pretty much tells me that there might be something there.

The hacked image, itself, contained a note:

The image was covered with the phrase "Hacked by #GOP," beneath which was a list of instructions and demands. The note said that Sony was already aware of the group's demands and that the group would release Sony's "secrets and top secrets" if they did not comply by last night.

www.theverge.com...

Whoa nelly, secrets and top secrets? WTH could Sony have that is worthy of being called "top secrets"? And why are they calling MIchael Lynton, Sony Pictures' CEO, a criminal? He's just a Hollywood CEO, right?

Wrong.

Michael Lynton Wiki

Lynton is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the UK government's Film Policy Review group. He also serves on the Board of Trustees of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the American Film Institute, as well as the boards of the USC School of Cinematic Arts, and the RAND Corporation.

Council on Foreign Relations

The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), founded in 1921, is a United States nonprofit, 4900 member organization, publisher, and think tank specializing in U.S. foreign policy and international affairs. Its membership has included senior politicians, more than a dozen Secretaries of State, CIA directors, bankers, lawyers, professors, and senior media figures.

RAND Corporation

RAND Corporation (Research ANd Development) is a "research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous." Formed after World War II to connect military planning with research and development decisions, it separated from Douglas Aircraft Company on on May 14, 1948 and became an independent, nonprofit organization. It is financed by the U.S. government and private endowment, corporations including the health care industry, universities and private individuals.

My grandfather, the colonel in the USAF, always warned me to steer clear of think tanks. CFR and RAND are both think tanks with policy and military connections. When is a Hollywood movie house CEO not just a Hollywood movie house CEO? Puts a whole new spin, I think, on what criminality Lynton might be accused of and just what are those secrets and top secrets that GOP is claiming to have?

edit on 2/12/14 by WhiteAlice because: forgot link for lynton bio

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hmm, anyone tried any of those addresses to get a copy of the file?

Would be interesting to see if there is anything in there..

Certainly not something I would browse to, without some precautions in place, like a anon proxy..

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Hmm, anyone tried any of those addresses to get a copy of the file?

Would be interesting to see if there is anything in there..

Certainly not something I would browse to, without some precautions in place, like a anon proxy..

Yes I have.

Please U2U me

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gosh, these hackers just don't stop, do they?!

top topics

join