It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday comes to the UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Never have, never will. The world is increasingly critical of America (and justifiably so in my opinion) yet your leaders continue to insist on importing the worst of what is making us increasingly terrible. Economic policies, war policies... stop following our lead! The .01% is destroying us all

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's not a "American thing", it a money thing. Stores in the U.K. see U.S. stores raking in profits by luring in crowds with lower prices, so they do it too. Don't blame us, blame your store owners and the people who are acting like animals at feeding time. No one is forcing them to go.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here in Holland, some TV commercials are also using "Black Friday" now as an excuse for discounts today. I really, truly hope that it won't become a new hype over the next few years. We already got that dreadful Valentine's Day imported, which causes enough trouble between me and the Misses.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here in Aberdeen I am just back from so called 'black Friday'.
I only ventured into to the city centre about an hour ago to pick up a reduced t.v. that I reserved in Argos.
The shops were busy but nothing like those videos on the news.
I walked into town(about 1.5 miles),purchased my t.v. and jumped on a bus virtually back to my front door,in a little over an hour.
The Argos app and website were a nightmare though,saying that they were experiencing a high volume of traffic and to try back later. A quick clearing of my cache and bingo,I was all set!
42" 3d full HD smart TV with 8 pairs of glasses-£199.99,even got a £10 voucher back to spend in Argos.
There is no way that I would have waited in massive hoards of people like some did but my pensioner mother will now have a shiny new big telly for Christmas.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Back in the day when I bought people crap for the holidays I once - once - went to a toys r us on black friday. traffic and parking was a nightmare.
I managed to make it into the stores front door.
I took one look at the ridiculous lines in the store. and I mean ridiculous.
I promptly tuned around, left the store, and went back to the safety of my home.
it's a stupid commercialized day prompted by big business to encourage human greed. IMO.

now that I am older and wiser I have convinced my entire family to stop feeding into the system.
we buy for the kids only now, if you are over 18 the buck stopped there. sorry about your luck.
the holiday is now about simply getting together and eating too much food. it's a good thing.

Christmas has lost it's meaning. It should not be about the money we spend, often on crap people will never use and didn't want to begin with.

I'm not super religious I just don't feed into the commercial thing anymore.

bah humbug.

btw, I feel so sorry for those of you on the other side of the pond. Sorry this stupid american tradition is spreading your way.
edit on 102014Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:13:31 -060031America/ChicagopFridayam14 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

Love this...

I try to do 1 meaningful/needed thing for my closest friends and family... my son (15) gets some video games and clothes but it gets less and less every year, the rest is all stocking stuffers. All my closest know I boycott damn near everything under the sun anyway lol.

I like your way better.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Join me in Celebrating Festivus.

No gifts, no shopping, no traffic.

It's my own little protest against the profit orgy that takes over our lives.

Now, I sit back watching people make themselves miserable with Holiday stress.

So, when you have had enough Holiday fuss.

It's Festivus for the rest of us...
edit on 28-11-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
what is this black friday garbage?

Capitalists trying to import American garbage into the UK, trying to get everyone to accept is "a thing". Copying Americans.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

If this nut is trying to keep people from going out on Black Fridays, he's doing the complete opposite. I know people who tag along with their wives just to watch the crazies fighting over merchandise, and watch people like him, lol! Nothing like breaking up the stress of shopping on Black Friday with a little bit of outrageous entertainment.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats
what is this black friday garbage?

Capitalists trying to import American garbage into the UK, trying to get everyone to accept is "a thing". Copying Americans.

We have our own Black Friday, it's called Black-Eye Friday, the last working Friday before Christmas.
Nowhere near as violent as those shoppers though!

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I remember 'Black Friday' used to refer to the Friday before Christmas when people would finish work and then go and get bladdered. This would result in violence and a really busy time for the emergency services.

Now it refers to a Friday in November where people queue for hours to buy some crap that they probably don't even need, just because it's been reduced by 20%. This has resulted in violence and a really busy time for the emergency services.

How bizarre.

edit on 28/11/14 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If you think this is bad. Wait until the moment the Atomic Bombs detonate over the major cities.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

The UK police have said its a bad idea since last year,but the megacorp shops have gone and put up "black friday" posters anyway.
Then the police have to put on extra staff at midnight,after the the shops ignore the cops plea.

In other words,the mega shops care not a fig for the average person,or what the police want.
If people get crushed to death,so be it-that actually raises the profile of their black mass(i mean friday).
No publicity is bad publicity.

Its all about taking the paper off the little people.
The paper we call money.

Again,I find myself in the parallel universe/dimension we two legs call "now."

We are not supposed to live like this.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I knocked this together earlier, the whole thing sickens me.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

Nice work!

It says it all about the state of humanity.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I'd be really interested to know what percentage of these shoppers are on state benefits.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay

btw, I feel so sorry for those of you on the other side of the pond. Sorry this stupid american tradition is spreading your way.

It's not a tradition, it's materialism, greed and massive corporations preying on the greed, and wants of people all over the world.

Materialism will not stop until it has completely played itself out.

And who knows when that will end.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
they buy this junk? we lost in the former USSR countries where they were free apartments in the countryside free house, free medical care, free education, free gasoline for public transport - for privateers 6 cents per liter, free kindergartens, free passes to health and wellness motels ... ugh on the consumer society, ugh again ... so youtu.be... broke the USSR in one hands two bottles of vodka in a month
edit on 30/11/14 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
I knocked this together earlier, the whole thing sickens me.

Ugh... If I were that guy I'd find myself battling misanthropy. What a pathetic display

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
in the US eaten by the handful of pills obesity while in the Third World swollen from hunger, people do not have the powers to banish flies eat away their eyes Orey Volot " Ratpeoples "

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join