It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blu-ray Discs Can Improve Solar Panels Efficiency by 21%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Your unwanted 陳港生 movies on blue ray may have a better use than your unwanted VSH tapes (I still got betamax around). How?

Blu-ray discs can hold more data than CDs or DVDs can. They encode data using microscopic pits only 25 to 30 nanometers deep and 75 nanometers long. These pits, and the islands between them, together represent the 0s and 1s of binary code that computers use to symbolize information.

Ummm ok so solar panels + 陳港生 blue rays = better how again?

The best patterns of nanostructures to place on solar cells are quasi-random ones — patterns that are neither too orderly nor too random. Patterns that are too orderly only help concentrate single wavelengths of light, while patterns that are completely random concentrate the wavelengths seen in sunlight and inefficiently concentrate relatively useless wavelengths.

So the blue rays are not used as a new material for solar panels, they are used as templates to create the semi random pattern that absorb a wider spectra.

The researchers used a Blu-ray of "Police Story 3: Supercop," starring Jackie Chan, to create a mold for a quasi-random surface texture that they placed on a solar cell. They found that this pattern boosted light absorption significantly — by 21.8 percent over the entire solar spectrum, more so than either a random pattern or no pattern.

陳港生 for thew win!!, no actually any blue ray do.

In tests of a wide range of movies and television shows, the researchers found that it didn't matter which video content was on the Blu-ray discs; they all worked equally well to enhance the light absorption in the solar cells. Instead, the secret lies in the algorithms used to encode data on Blu-rays, which turn data into quasi-random patterns

How Blu-ray Discs Can Improve Solar Panels

Yay mindless consumerist will save the environment, oh wait

Edit: Your blue rays wont save the world, the already developed technology to create the blue rays could be adapted to create more efficient solar panel templates at low cost, as no further technology have to be created, unwanted trash will still be unwanted trash.

edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: efficiency added to title

edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: typo

edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: due to popular demand i change the misspelled name of jakie chang to his real one

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

having established that blue ray TECHNOLOGY not blue ray dircs may be the key to improving photovoltic cell efficiency how about :

scrap blue ray discs could be a more efficient emergency signal mirror ????????

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

While the technology aspect of your posting is impressive; I was also struck by your "uncanny" ability to read and write at the same time.

I am, of course, drawing your attention to the spelling of the very tricky name of Jackie Chan; or is it Chang?

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
That's great news !
I bet a chuck Norris will double that of jackie chan !

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

not a fan, neither i care to change it

there i change it, happy now?
edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2014 by Indigent because: QQ MOAR PLZ?

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Cool Dude.

Seems a little thin skined, but still cool.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Really good find. Saving this information since sometime soonish we're going to be making one panel at a time, and moving towards reducing Fortis.

I enjoy this channel.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-11-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Sooo a solar panel that is 25% efficient can suddenly be made using the pattern on a blu-ray, achieve an extra 21.8% efficiency, and become a 46% efficiency Or a 30.45 efficiency?

Which one is it? Im guessing 30.45%

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Blu-ray Discs Can Improve Solar Panels

If true, the spiral track on the DVD possibly acting as a Fresnel lens ? , which could focus the reflected light.

originally posted by: Indigent

The researchers used a Blu-ray of "Police Story 3: Supercop," starring Jackie Chan, to create a mold for a quasi-random surface texture that they placed on a solar cell ...

Will they be prosecuted for making a "pirate" copy of the DVD

edit on 26-11-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This could have another possible application for spies and paranoids that got to travel with information, make a copy of the information in a solar panel like the ones to charge phones and travel with 1 Tera of sensitive information hide at plain sigh

Hey CIA I'm full of nice ideas like this, hire me i could be your Q

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

And, additionally, a blue ray writer's laser can be used to punch holes at a distance.

It seems to me the blue ray technology has more uses as scraps than as its actual intended usage...

new topics

top topics

join