It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Survivor" foods that may kill you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Poisonous plants used for salads
Raw meat with bad parasites

news.yahoo.com...

"Researchers reviewed 60 cases of people in the U.S. who contracted foodborne infections after eating raw animal meat or plants that were recommended as safe on "Survivor."

In six cases, people (mostly males) ate poisonous plants that looked very similar to edible plants recommended on "Survivor." Five of these people died ...."

"Of the 54 cases that involved people who got sick after eating raw animals, 38 involved people who were infected with a parasite called rat lungworm, or Angiostrongylus cantonensis, often after eating certain snails, larval slugs or frogs, as seen on the show, the study found. Generally, rat lungworm infections are rare, and are most often seen in people in Southeast Asia, but some cases have occurred in the United States, particularly in Hawaii..."

"An additional 16 patients in the study were infected with another parasite, called the American lung fluke, or Paragonimus kellicotti, often after consuming raw crayfish. These were mostly young men in Missouri who consumed raw crayfish while intoxicated during outdoor activities, such as camping, paddling and trips on the Mississippi River, the study said. All patients developed a lung infection, which can cause fever, chest pain and a bloody cough. One older patient, a 71-year-old, died ..."

"Sometimes it takes years for patients to be diagnosed with this, going from doctor to doctor," Diaz said. Treatment with parasite-killing drugs are usually effective...."

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Did Survivor recommend eating the wrong plants? Did Survivor recommend eating raw animals?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Sorry thought this would be a thread on Mre's

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Neocrusader

In my experience I think I'd rather have the poisonous plants than the MREs.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
They forgot how to make fire?
There's a good reason some things are better cooked.....

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

your experience is either incorrect or you ate a circa 1980's dehydrated pork or potato patty. more modern MREs are delicious.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

They are? I haven't have one in probably 10+ years. That's good to know, then!

But yes, back then they were terrible. I mean, they were edible, but not too palatable.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Band AniM.O.V.E. covers Only My Rail Gun. Originally sung by Fripside.

AniM.O.V.E. Singer Yuri Matsuda fronted for the group. She is also the Seiyu for the Vocaloid; Lily. And Lily the Vocaloid often sang with the band on stage.
edit on 20-11-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Not sure what that has to do with the topic of discussion, but neat! Vocaloids and the music created with them are certainly an interesting phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Couldn't tell you, I don't watch the show. Saw it once and thought he made too many mistakes---talking about "Survivor-man". I don't watch "Survivor" either. And that TV show where they dare people to eat raw bug and other nasties--- I imagine someone has picked up some parasites there.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Not sure what that has to do with the topic of discussion, but neat! Vocaloids and the music created with them are certainly an interesting phenomenon.
T'was brought to mind by your nickname and avatar. The song is from a Japanese Anime which featured the character in your avie if i am not mistaken. the name and the picture indicates that you know the reference

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Yup! I am well aware of the reference. My name, avatar, and signature are all references to that anime. "To Aru Kagaku no Railgun". I watched it after some former students of mine recommended it after they learned where I live. I really enjoyed the show!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Those that think MREs are bad....
Have you ever eaten C-rats?

Now there's something bad.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'll stick to plants I know well. Eating the wrong mushroom can be dangerous too, you need to know what kind to eat. You rarely can find good info in books, experience is the best way.

I don't want to eat bugs or snails, they make good fish bait. I like deer venison, rabbit, squirrel, and partridge, all of them cooked well. Why eat raw meat to survive? It doesn't take much to build a fire.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Just about every edible plant Mushroom etc has a terrible twin. be careful out there, you could end up in a wooden boiler suit or worse, trippin yer Tetas off.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
May taste better , May reheat easier, doesn't mean it won't kill you.
Give me ass of goat any day

edit on 20-11-2014 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well as long as the OP is about Killer survival foods.
Mountain House Freeze dried foods Contain Sodium Phosphates..
Very Hard on the kidneys... eat in moderation and with other
REAL vegies.. FYI www.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 20-11-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Did Survivor recommend eating the wrong plants? Did Survivor recommend eating raw animals?

Who said that Darwin Theory is not alive and well to day?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You have been in the cold too long...way too long...I have quite a few Omelette MRE's you can have since they seem to be the only kind I ever get...your welcome to them.

As for eating slugs....snails...and well any meat without first at least searing it should be common sense. Survivor instincts are one thing and survival is another.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Those that think MREs are bad....
Have you ever eaten C-rats?

Now there's something bad.

Ham and Lima Beans!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join