It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure what the point is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There seems to be some real resistance from behind the scenes here on ATS regarding the ability to Ignore a post, or posters, or entire threads if one wishes. In addition, and similarly, there's a push back against a 'thumb's down' function. I haven no idea why. Oh I've read all the excuses. Even some ad-homs not directed at me. Let's go down the apparently short list eh?

1: You just need to ignore them yourselves!

This is laziness at it's finest.

2: If you don't like it, you can LEAVE!

Pure ignorance, and the people with this mindset really seem to have an issue with people voicing their opinions. Because in reality, that's what people would be doing with an ignore function, or equally, a thumbs-down. Expressing their opinions without saying a word, would cut down on one line posts as well.

3: You just need to grow a thick skin.

I don't really know where to begin with this tripe. As if some of the near-organized personal attacks on this site were somehow unimpeachable, and we all just have to endure it, for some reason known only to certain posters on this site. As if bad manners, constant name-calling, and just plain crappy attitudes were somehow a virtuous requirement of this particular segment of society.

4: Hit ALERT at what you don't like.

This just creates more work for the mods, who actually seem to do less than they should in the first place. There's rampant disrespect, and flagrant ad-homs on this site every day. If I flagged every post I thought broke decorum, or the T&C's then the mods would never stop working.

And that folks, is basically that. The short list of excuses why we supposedly can't have an ignore function, or at LEAST a thumbs-down. You should be able to hit a little icon like the stars function, only perhaps a little flame symbol or something else to denote displeasure.
edit on 19-11-2014 by Chronogoblin because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

a reply to: Chronogoblin
perhaps a little flame symbol or something else to denote displeasure.

you cant have that , someone might get offended by it , and all said offenders must be clearly identified ...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Personally, I like the "Just ignore them" approach.

If everyone adopted this approach there would be no fuel for the fire. Just starve them out.

Trolls need food and without it they will go forage elsewhere.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The best "Thumbs Down" is a good on-topic rebuttal.

Works every time.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

only perhaps a little flame symbol or something else to denote displeasure.

Like this?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chronogoblin

Sorry, you're wrong.

We have a functioning ignore capability that was one of the first layers of custom code back in 2005. It still sits in our code today.

However, after a great deal of staff discussion a few years back, it made sense to remove the feature, and have the (apparently high) expectation that ATS contributors will find a way to act as adults and simply learn to ignore those who irritate.

Additionally, in the context of important topics on which debate may prove either valuable or enlightening, ignoring viewpoints contrary to yours by simply auto-erasing them before they appear to you, is the pinnacle of ignorance. If these topics are important to you, then you must learn how to see and respond to recalcitrance in opposing opinions, as well as be open to changing your mind as a result.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Coming to a website and telling the staff they are:

Ignorant and Lazy.

Seems to suggest to me you need to buy a pair of big boy pants.

Let me know how demanding everybody change to your liking works out for you.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Chronogoblin

Sorry, you're wrong.

We have a functioning ignore capability that was one of the first layers of custom code back in 2005. It still sits in our code today.

However, after a great deal of staff discussion a few years back, it made sense to remove the feature, and have the (apparently high) expectation that ATS contributors will find a way to act as adults and simply learn to ignore those who irritate.

Additionally, in the context of important topics on which debate may prove either valuable or enlightening, ignoring viewpoints contrary to yours by simply auto-erasing them before they appear to you, is the pinnacle of ignorance. If these topics are important to you, then you must learn how to see and respond to recalcitrance in opposing opinions, as well as be open to changing your mind as a result.

Skeptic, that was well put, but I really resent that you won't allow me to put my fingers in my ears, and scream: La la la...!

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I bet you have lost a lot of members because people don`t like to be irritated over and over again, there is a point at which people will say enough is enough and turn their back on the forum.

Are you sure the right decision was made back then ?

Maybe do another discussion about it, I personally have seen it being implemented on a forum and everyone was happy about it. Most will have only a few on ignore, you don`t ignore people because of different opinions that quickly, only a few who don`t bring any new information and irritate over and over again are being put on ignore by members.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

There really isn't that much of a fight - I remember when I was a mod on another site someone asked the exact same question. My response was: If someone is verbally attacking you or making snide comments in the real world, do you have a non-violent mute button that you can use on them? When they replied "No", I then asked them why it was they didn't just report the person's username to me, much as you would a manager, boss, teacher, or even the police in the real world. The reason that forum didn't implement the down-voting system was because early trials showed that it was being abused, in some cases where a "gang" of people would rate a person's post poorly.

My advice (instead of telling you to deal with it) is one of the following:
1. Pretend it never happened (in the workplace, we call it the "ignorance is bliss" approach, where you greet your enemy with a smile, and pretend that all is right in the world). Also, the funny part about this is that the more they try to attack, with this approach the more stupid they actually look.

For example, if someone tries to derail or mess with you in a thread, you can respond with (warning, major cheesiness ahead). That was a very stupid interesting viewpoint Mr. I-hate-your-guts so-and-so. However, seeing as we are discussing topic XYZ... (Strike denotes what you may be actually thinking, don't include it in your retort).

2. Fight back with facts and plausible arguments. You can try to dispute a truth, but it'll be a losing battle. For example, you get called out, saying your thread topic is bulk. Go with the assumption that you won't prove the enemy correct, but rather that you will show the rest of the participants the data for their own decisions.

3. Don't be afraid to report it - Mods keep the peace, and I'll put it bluntly, they will react in the same manner you react to them. If you go in front and tell them that every negative comment is an attack, they'll probably not investigate unless it's serious (I would myself, sad to say). Now, if your going to them because you think a certain member or members is purposely attacking you, and ask if it is possible for them to investigate, then it might be taken more seriously.

Just offering constructive criticism, and if you read this as an attack, then I will be forced to bore you with numerous life examples, and long, epic text blocks to prove my cause (just kidding, I wouldn't torture you with that).
-foss

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
What is a heated debate, Pat?

new topics

top topics

join