It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I propose this for traffic violations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I commute daily almost 80 miles to and from work. In the morning I drive with my daughter in the carpool lane. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been rammed from behind by someone charging through the carpool driving solo.
This behavior needs to stop.
Here in the bay area I think the minimum is $471. I believe that this amount is not enough of a deterrent to inhibit single drivers from using it. I am guessing that it is pretty much the same across the country.

So. How about corporal punishment as a deterrent?

I know this would never fly, but imagine this.
You get caught driving solo in the carpool lane, you either get a finger or toe broken, your choice. Two violations within, say a 6 month period, the second one gets a finger and toe broken.
Get a dui? And risk killing people on the road with your drunken antics... you lose a finger or toe.
I would guess people would think twice before committing these types of violations.
Cheers

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
so a carpool lane is for a car with 2 or more people?

honest question because i dont understand.....

ive seen them on the highway but i never really understood what theyre for.

so is it just one lane with people hauling ass or what?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
These isn't enough of an issue concerning police brutality already?? We need to add more cases to it and then make those legitimate?

This is coming from someone who can sympathize with road rage at times and has no love for drunk drivers. People can be irritating when they act like they recieved their driver's license from the bottom of the Cookie Crisp box and not a lot can piss me off like the thought of a drunk driver taking out innocent folks...

BUT

Slippery slope applies here IMO. I don't think a lot of policemen need another reason to go off the rails.

edit on 11/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: roshambo

I hope you're just pissed and blowing off steam, 'cause none of us are perfect drivers and you may, some day, be the victim of your own brand of justice. Higher fines just benefit the county or state, they do nothing to deter stupid drivers. The only thing I've ever seen that helps, is when they have a wreck and have to face the fact it was their own stupidity or carelessness that caused it. That and their insurance rates going waaay up. I know exactly how you feel though, I live in a very small town and you would think the folks around here are on their way to a fire. It's like driving in Dallas/Fort Worth... all the recklessness, just concentrated in fewer people.

link   
a reply to: Grovit

Carpool lane is 2 or more people in the vehicle during heavy commute hours, 5 am to 9am and 3pm to 7pm. This lane typically moves faster due to less traffic in the lane.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Are you an extreme violent psycho. NO! That kind of mindset is almost as bad as those who do things like this to others. Under no circumstance ever harm anyone or think you may. No one owns another person, or their body, and corporal punishment is demonology 101.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Kind of blowing of steam however. I am not a psycho unless someone puts me a nd my daughter at risk on the road by either almost ramming us from behind or cutting us off when they are driving illegally.
I am on the road all day and see these types of people all day. Obviously what I propose is far into left field. However the point is a that a monetary fine simply is not working for deterring people into stopping this type and more severe types (like duis) of driving infractions. As a side note, can anyone guess what one of the better revenue generating sources of income is for many large cities in us?
DUI fines.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

lame...
you get a special fast moving lane cause you are not in the car by yourself?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

So somebody busts your chops and all you can think of is more revenge.

And of course, you want somebody else to do it for you.

Brilliant.

Who died and left you king anyway?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You cant be serious...
The HOV lane is one of the main reasons traffic goes so slow in the mornings, everybody on the HOV lane, or toll lane (which runs parallel to the HOV lane) has to get all the way over 5 lanes to exit. Had they been on the regular highway they could have anticipated their exit instead of selfishly bogarting their way across 5 lanes of rush hour traffic. Although it is a cash cow for the police in the mornings, I see at least 7 people pulled over on my 14 mile drive every day.

But if you think that violators of these stupid rules should be physically harmed, well... I could say the same thing about people who make cantankerous posts like these.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Removal of fingers and toes should be reserved for people who steal from other people (NOT corporations, mind you)

- and it should only be enforced by those being stolen from

As someone who has had problems with theft, I'm still not sure I'd remove someones fingers or toes for stealing my things- but I'd certainly like to hold them down and put the hedge clippers up to their thumb and make them think twice the next time.

Damn kids.

edit:
$471 for using the carpool lane incorrectly isn't enough?
Most people I know don't have that kind of cash in their bank accounts. If that's not enough of a ticket, then chances are its just not being enforced.
edit on 19-11-2014 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: myartisstrong

You must be one of those that drive solo in the carpool and drunk on the road.

How many people are killed due to duis per year?
Those that are so angst due to threat of physical violence as a punishment need to understand one thing. The system now isn't working, it is not deterring acehole drivers from driving as such. SO if not what I propose, as opposed to bashing ME personally, what say YOU as a more effective method to thwart this erratic behavior.

Where I live, the average household income is over $90k per year. Almost everyone I know makes at least 75k per year. $471 would be felt, but not really worried about by most of these people
edit on 19-11-2014 by roshambo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think the idea of carpool lanes are really stupid. Especially when it's bumper to bumper traffic and there's that lane, just empty as hell.. I know opening up just one more lane for regular traffic might not be the end all solution to bumper to bumper traffic but I'd like to think it would help clear things up a bit.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: roshambo
a reply to: myartisstrong

You must be one of those that drive solo in the carpool and drunk on the road.

How many people are killed due to duis per year?

thought this thread was about the carpool lane..
now its about dui's?
i think you should just mellow out...making a big deal out of nothing....
you seem like the type of dude that would have some serious road rage.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Thread title states traffic violations. I'm mellow. Are you?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So now we are talking about DUI's? Never had one. And no dude, I dont drive in the HOV lane. On my drive to work its just as backed up as the freeway. What pisses me off though is the toll at 7am is $7.00, come noon, that toll drops to $1.50. Talk about some greed! And you seem like you have some serious road rage problems, talkin about cutting off toes and whatnot... I keep an ice axe in my car for people like that... right next to my handgun. I live in Houston.

I would agree that the people who are in charge of how much the tolls are could afford to lose some digits though

Chill out dude, its only 10am.

edit on 19-11-2014 by myartisstrong because: wasnt done

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: roshambo

Thread title states traffic violations. I'm mellow. Are you?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Here in the bay area…

You must be living in the same Bay Area I do. Oh, the Humanity.

You know what would be worse than breaking fingers? Take their license. Make them endure public transit to "hurry" to work…

they'll go freaking nuts!

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
now we are getting somewhere. Someone with another answer. Take the license!

So here goes it.
I do not think my original proposal is valid. I would move to Canada if our fingers and toes were at risk when I get behind the wheel.
The IDEA needs some investigation.
I have to hypothesize an EXTREME measure to determine the threshold. Simple question: if you knew that by driving in the carpool lane COULD end up with a broken finger or toe, how much LESS likely would you be to drive in that lane? 10%, 50%?
Furthermore, if you knew that by driving under the influence, you COULD end up losing a finger or toe, how much LESS likely would you be to drive home after drinking? 50%, 100%?
We are all guilty of daily traffic violations, everyone. What I see daily by being on the road more than most is simply unacceptable. People simply do not respect the punishment for running stop signs, red light, duis, carpool lanes, etc. How many accidents happen and lives are lost because of this irresponsible behavior.
I would guess that given my previous proposal, we would see a vast improvement over these types of infractions.

Step 2: WHAT IF: when you get a traffic violation as stated before, you had a CHANCE to get a broken finger or toe, or a CHANCE to lose a finger or toe. Are you more likely to commit these same violation than if it were a guarantee?
Imagine a sickening wheel of MISfortune that was employed by the courts upon sentencing, where punishments were based upon chance, and some as severe as I mentioned, and some as weak as what we have now.
What say you, you traffic violators????

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Blowing off steam is understandable. My stronger post was actually due to attributing the wrong motives to the thread, with so much programming and online posts, both misogynist as well as promoting sharia type things. I couldn't help but associate this with the idea of dismemberment and cutting off of fingers and hands that goes on in other cultures. And just No! We're already having enough struggles in our nations with government mismanagement, not listening to people, divisions amongst groups that stop the unity needed on local levels to form groups that would be watchdogs for the system. In the US for example, there is a pronounced divide and even dislike, sometimes intense, for opposite voters. Unity is needed to overcome corruption, with respect for all groups that are in a town that need to have a voice, including the working, and the handicapped, aged or vulnerable and without unity and respect for people and their various circumstances, you can't overcome anything. But there are very few of us, always, that would ever want a corporal type punitive system. Whats wrong is that in the so called first world nations, and free nations, is the people aren't gaining respect and understanding for each other and overcoming the actual hidden fascist manipulations of their system. But they don't want to go backwards, only forwards.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join