It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Plan to Resurrect the Woolly Mammoth Jurassic Park Style

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I imagine social norms would be similar to an elephants, so having them raised by elephants would help.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Slap a few dozen beaver pelts on an elephant. Bingo.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No. The average length of DNA segments recovered from mammoths has been in the low hundreds of base pairs. As far as I know, they still aren't sure if mammoths had the same number of chromosomes as elephants but we'd be talking something like 5 billion base pairs. Give the link I posted a read, it goes into the DNA sequencing and synthesis.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

This is about a recent find.

Excavators extracted vials of liquid blood from the carcass and now researchers at the South Korean biotech company SOOAM are testing it for a complete set of DNA

They are hoping to get a complete set. Doesn't mean they will, but they think it's possible apparently.
edit on 18-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

They have been planning this for years now and most probably have already accomplished this only we aren't privy to such material.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I fail to see the point of resurrection. Perhaps that time and effort could be directed somewhere necessary.

This seems like science for the sake of saying you were able to do something but never stopping to think about whether or not you should.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

Interesting you used the term 'resurrection'.

The fun (and scary) thing about science is all the other paths that you go down when you attempt something new.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker
I fail to see the point of resurrection. Perhaps that time and effort could be directed somewhere necessary.

This seems like science for the sake of saying you were able to do something but never stopping to think about whether or not you should.

Because the research into how to accomplish this will probably have a large number of offshoot applications.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
We can't even keep the animals we have alive....

Though if the Ice age truly is returning in our lifetime we may need these wooly mammas

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Synthetic biology will be the future .. and we will be surprised what comes from that in the future..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
IT would be kinder if we invested our efforts in to stopping Elephant poaching before we kill that creature off....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i think its awesome and i hope they go for it.
thats how science works...

they have to 'test' the technology somehow...

who knows what kinds of applications this and the research they do along the way will have...

food, drugs, products, diseases are tested on animals in labs all the time...
it sucks but things have to be tested somewhere......

there are labs all over the country testing things on monkey's and mice....
from the prescription drugs you take to shampoo you use......

i love how people try to act all noble and enter flip city when they read stories like this.

i hope they do it.....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

It would defently be very very intresting....we would be creating a whole new creature the world hasnt seen before mammoth x elelphant...mammophant?

I remember when I was little a mammoth baby was found well preserved in ice, sometime in the 90s...anyway..I remember it being a huge thing, and watching a discovery channel special that mentioned resurrecting the mighty mammoth...it had a cgi of what it 'may' look like....it was pretty much just a big elephant with funny tusk....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

In theory it is possible that complete DNA can be found in the frozen mammoths. Personally I think that it may offer more answers if it can be done. Researching a specific animal is much easier when you have a live animal. I would rather have them clone a Mammoth than a Saber-tooth Cat...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Then how could cloning work if elephants and mammoth do not share the same genotype?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

I was not meaning to sound as brash as I did. I'm glad Australia has good conditions for it's livestock.

I do how ever have to say this about the cloning, just as in human beings if the animal is at risk of being lost it would be entirely possible to induce an early birth and continue incubating the fetus until it was strong enough and developed enough to survive. AS well, human women can go through tremendous sized infants that blow the mind. Yes child carrying is painful as is the birth but under controlled circumstances entirely possible.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
We can't even keep the animals we have alive....

Though if the Ice age truly is returning in our lifetime we may need these wooly mammas

To be technical or specific, geologically we are still in an ice age. The current environment is referred to as an Interglacial Period and when Mammoths, Mastodons et al were still thriving it was during the Last Glacial Maximum. We just happen to be living in a fairly warm period that has persisted, save for the younger dryas and a couple of other short cold spells, for the last 11 and a half thousand years.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I don't know. Have you see the difference in size between modern elephants and archaic Proboscidea? Now imagine a young mammoth bull enraged during rut...what elephant bull is going to handle it? It isn't like how an elephant bull will be "groomed" by older bulls. It would be an adolescent that was completely overwhelmingly large by any standards.

Not saying it couldn't be done. only the the road would be very rough and rocky.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
What could go wrong? Well here's what happened the last time with the largest elephant in captivity.

www.thestar.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

That's okay, I try not to take things the wrong way, so hard too tell online isn't it.. Yeah so am I or I wouldn't support it at all.

I agree, that is a possibility, but just like with Human babies being born prematurely can have a whole set of health risks itself, I know close friends who had babies prior too 30 weeks and it was a battle for them too get their babies to stay healthy and be able too come home with them. I am more worried about the elephants that will be carrying the clone, quite a lot could potentially be killed in the process of bringing one of these Mammoths to life, I think Elephants have had enough slaughter and mistreatment throughout history and they should just leave them alone, just because we are superior to them doesn't mean we can do this too them putting all these Elephants at risk just to produce one animal just too see if it will work and we don't even know that it will just doesn't sit right with me. I am curious though at how this would turn out , and I do know we have too start somewhere in terms of advancement of these things but I don't see why they have to go to this extreme, they are totally willing for Elephants to die in the process they said it themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join