It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Close Most of Northeast to Cod Fishing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Ugh, never fails.

Scientists express concern for something that offends the "drill baby drill/let's free market the crap outta this planet" crowd, out come the immediate conspiracy theories how this is all a big government agenda to destroy jobs and take everyone's filet-o-fish sandwiches away.

It's bad enough with the climate change thing, but now overfishing too? It's not like everyday people can just see this happening for themselves (e.g. Kali's post on previous page). I mean here's one of those fancy scientific studies. You know what kind of complicated, highly technical methodology they used? They looked at old photographs. I guess all these people posing with their catch across decades of trophy fishing are in on the conspiracy too:

edit on 15-11-2014 by mc_squared because: This thing goes deep!

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Much of the fish served in restaurants is from AK and other sources it is frozen but frozen is actually usually fresher then fresh unless you get to eat the fresh fish within a few days of being caught. Most restaurants can't keep it fresh long enough to use that way and it is an expensive thing to waste. Then there are the imports.

China is the largest producer of seafood products in the world, and Japan and the U.S. are the largest importers of seafood products in the world. Over three fourths of the seafood consumed in the U.S. is imported from other countries. In 2009, 5.5 billion pounds of edible fishery products valued at $14.8 billion were imported into the U.S.

seafoodhealthfacts.org...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Actually, my local Trader Joe's has fresh frozen wild caught seafood from Russia and Spain....and I agree, if I cannot get local, I prefer fresh-frozen.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
And then Monsanto or China or someone will slide in with GMO, farm-raised faux cod. And so it goes.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Another article.

www.cbc.ca...

In the meantime, Fisheries and Oceans Canada will soon decide what to do with the cod fishery on the Georges Bank — which is part of the Gulf of Maine — and in other areas.

"Now it's a matter of making those decisions in time for the beginning of the next year," said Stefan Leslie, the regional director of fisheries management for Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

There is still a cod quota in southwest New Brunswick, but Fisheries and Oceans Canada records show no one bothered to fish it in the last year.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So what is your point?
You distrust Government, your own fault - you either voted for them or didn't vote at all.
They are overfished, end of story.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Federal scientists say the move is necessary to prevent a further decline in the codfish population, which is 97 percent below what they consider a sustainable level.

“catch share management.”

This made it possible for people to buy and sell fishing quotas, giving larger ships (and companies) the ability to catch much more than they previously could

Sounds like global warming carbon credits.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
And then Monsanto or China or someone will slide in with GMO, farm-raised faux cod. And so it goes.

Hmmm.

The biotechnology industry says it has genetically modified a fish that grows at twice the normal rate, so it can get to market sooner and make more money, faster. But this dangerous lab experiment is all hype and full of downsides to consumers, salmon growers and the environment.

If approved, GM salmon would be the first “transgenic” animal allowed into our food supply. It’s also unlikely that it would have to be labeled, so you might not even know you’re eating it.

It's FrankenFish

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I read a study a while back where they checked the fish being sold genetically; only a small percentage was what the label said.

The worst was 'scallops' which were often shark meat plugs. I guess I wouldn't care that much but sharks will eat ANYTHING. They've been found with tires in their stomachs. Seems like the meat would taste like Firestone's, then.

On more reason to look into aquaponics; you can control the water quality and the food the fish eat; it may be the only truly organic and noncontaminated option for seafood left.

Oh and by the way, people who eat sushi tend to be infested with parasites.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
. i am an Alaskan Fisherman and i have a solution, COME FISH ALASKA ! we have so much COD out their , i know at one point they had to put restrictions on catching COD ,but now ... they are like cockroaches ! and quite annoying i might add !. the only pace i know on earth were you can drop a halibut hook and hand line a 15lb COD in... they eat ANYTHING!
and they are everywhere !

on my days off when i am i working in ALASKA i like to go fishing for Salmon or Halibut and its a struggle to fish because you have to make anything you drop past the COD if you want any luck at a good catch !

so feel free come Fish ALASKA !

cheers

Walsh
edit on 15-11-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Just like the gold rush, when your income depends on resources you need to physically find and retreive it tends to run dry.
Only this isn't gold these are living organisms that very much can be hunted into extinction.

So i offer my condolences to the families who are hit hard by this privitized world which forces people to slave for a bare minimum.

But that's just the way it is, I guess they will have to settle for working at mc.donalds. Since we live in this kind of society you know. Instead of flipping fins for coins they will be fliping fish burgers into the deep fry and flipping lids onto coffee.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Thanks for sharing that info.

I like first hand info from the indigenous people.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Doesn't macdonalds use cod for their fish fillet sand which, and Burger King? Red lobster, or golden coral? I remember seeing cod fish ona commercial and thinking how they will kill the cod population.....maybe they are fishing out all the cod....too bad. I feel for the maine fisherman who now have no income!

I think McDonalds uses carp.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

FUKASHIMA pretty much did in alot of fish. I'm sure alot of the oceans have a high radio active content. go and check out or rent a giger counter and see for yourself. Go to washington state or upper california and take readings. you will see. Fish are dying everywhere in the oceans. Lots of things dying in the oceans. HEY BP, DID YOU CLEAN UP YOUR MESS YET? WHY is it that michi u kaku says things are only going to get worse? Honestly, what does he REALLY mean by his statement. Yellowstone blacktop roads are MELTING. Now closed off. More fish rotting on beaches, AGAIN.
Russia's permafrost melting and spewing methane into the air polluting and adding to global warming. Russia's permafrost areas exploding and making huge holes in the ground. More Nevada earthquakes and rumbles. Changes in jet streams and water currents. This must not be good to the fish or fishing industries Not to mention the rise in ocean storms and their intensity. I could go on and on. Go to youtube and you will find greenland melting and they discovered a MASSIVE underground cave system larger than the grand canyon. Polar caps melting. The magnetic pole is shifting and moving faster and faster every day. I'M sure not only the fish will have more problems in the future. Say 5 yrs from now.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Pay attention. Look at the photo's you presented. Do you notice a trend? Look again and see that the older photo's are of much much larger fish and the newer photo's are small tiny fish. NOW, WHY IS THAT ? Maybe the fish caught back then had more time to grow up and they had more of them around. Now they all dying off and ending belly up on the beach.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Cod seems to be one of thee least expensive fish on the market. Is the Fed really more interested in making life harder when salmon and shrimp are just too expensive? Sounds to me like they are deliberately creating a scarcity which will cause a rise in price. I thought gov was supposed to lower costs ?????
edit on 16-11-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

ellowstone blacktop roads are MELTING.

Weeeeelllll, there is a giant caldera underneath Yellowstone. It's not from Global Warming if that is what you were trying to say. Or were you trying to connect it to the Fukushima disaster? The fish yes, the roads in Yellowstone no. Or was it just a rant about how evil mankind is or was it the polar drift? Then you would be in the camp of the Agenda 21 folks....
edit on 16-11-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
When you eat "Cod" most times you're eating green pollack from Alaska where it's abundant and mass manufacturered on boats that are floating factories.

Cod from Maine is very specific type of cod. Atlantic cod. Not be confused with haddock hake pollack which are all similar look alikes and probably what you're eating. They're all cheaper and abundant.

Most often then not what you're sold for cod is not. Rarely is it real cod. And to be honest if your "cod" cost less than $15/lb or $20 or less for a plate You're most definitely not eating real cod. So don't worry you're not hurting the cod population.

By the way you can regulate all you want but right outside the EEZ the foreign nationals are stealing all our fish and selling it back to us since we can't catch it. How is that helping ? The population ? Should ban sales of foreign caught domestic fish then you'll see a replenishment with smart quota system.

And by the way most ground fish (fish that live scouring the sea floor) have worms. Many types of flounders, halibut , cods. Still safer than GMOs.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
"they also suggest that the regulations will disproportionately hurt small, independent fishermen as opposed to larger corporations."

All I need to know, it's only the beginning of their plan for restricting our freedoms and handing the power over to the global elite... under the guise of protection of course. I've read this playbook and know where it ends if they win. Not pretty, dark times ahead.
edit on 16-11-2014 by dr1234 because: wow spelling

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Japan and China sure wont fall under this ban as they never do. They will skirt the international waters line which is only 12 miles out and take all they want. They do it in the Gulf non stop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join