It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush ICC Law "Hypocritical;" Hinders Global War on Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
By suspending foreign aid to nations that won't back the Bush administration's posture of US immunity from the International Criminal Court in the Hague, human rights groups say that global efforts to fight the war on terror and drug trafficking will be impeded. ICC supporters protested the measure, signed by Bush Wednesday, as a bullying tactic. They claim it to be hypocritical in light of reported U.S. abuse of detainees in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay.

www.newsday.com
"This latest sanction shows that the president would rather allow drug trafficking and terrorism than support the prosecution of war crimes and atrocities," said Brian Thompson of Citizens for Global Solutions in Washington.

The International Criminal Court, which opened two years ago and boasts 100 member nations, is the first permanent world tribunal to judge genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity. Bush opposes the court on grounds that U.S. citizens could be subjected to politically motivated charges. Supporters including the European Union counter that the tribunal has numerous safeguards against frivolous prosecution.

Ecuador, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela stand to lose $32.5 million for promoting democracy and free trade, and fighting drug trafficking and corruption. Caribbean nations could lose all or some of $9 million for fighting the flow of illegal drugs and undocumented immigrants - including potential terrorists - to the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One thing I never quite understood is how so many other nations (about 140) have signed on to the ICC pact, and yet our country remains as one of the the last holdouts. Are we above international law? Is it fair that we should be exempt from war crimes? Despite US pressure many other countries continue to remain signed. I also discovered that this new law gives the US the power for military action against the ICC in the Hague if any US troops are brought before the ICC on war crimes. Just great, eh?

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
ap.tbo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US soldiers exempt from international law?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
One of my history professors once said that a countrys leader is given power by the mandate of his/her people or military power,
and that the country is given autonomy by the mandate of the world...
when one or the other is not there, then you have a leader who wont last long or a country that won't last long...
the US doesn't have the mandate of the world... and now we are trying to bully and blackmail countries into giving it to us. as to whether our leader has the mandate of his people.??? not by much, I'd wager...
I love this countrys ideals... to bad about where this countries being taken...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
US government = Crimnal crime gang

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm glad I've learned to live by the philosophy of not giving a ****. Yeah, so what if the United States is ran by crimnals, I don't care. ICC, who cares. Bullying, who cares.
I quit caring about government and politics because citizens are no longer in control and shouldn't worry about the policies, because we are not in control. So, why bother? I recommend everyone to try my philosophy.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
I'm glad I've learned to live by the philosophy of not giving a ****. Yeah, so what if the United States is ran by crimnals, I don't care. ICC, who cares. Bullying, who cares.
I quit caring about government and politics because citizens are no longer in control and shouldn't worry about the policies, because we are not in control. So, why bother? I recommend everyone to try my philosophy.

It has been tried. What happened was Hitler, Stalin, Khmer Rouge and other things very unpleasant. When people stop caring, there is no limit to how wrong the society may go. So do what you want, just be prepared for some tough s-h-i-t.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well, as you can see that s-h-i-t can happen with or without the peoples approval. All you need is a bunch of scumbags running the country, such as our current administration.

top topics

join