It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible First Look Inside Huge Crater at 'End of the World'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hello ATS, this is an update to the sinkhole phenomenom which happened a while back; well actually, is still happening with more sink holes in Florida and some other places. This however, is about the exciting trek researchers are making into the sinkhole(s) and the firsthand look they are giving inside.

Vladimir Pushkarev, the mission leader and director of the Russian Center of Arctic Exploration, said his team hopes to understand how and why the crater seemed to suddenly form earlier this year. "As of now we don't see anything dangerous in the sudden appearance of such holes, but we've got to study them properly to make absolutely sure we understand the nature of their appearance and don't need to be afraid about them," he told The Siberian Times.

They are cautioning that there's no need to be afraid and while I'm not afraid, I am concerned over what this may mean for humans in the long run...Is this the early stages of something more ominous on the horizon? What says ATS?

gma.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Well, I'm scared of sinkholes! What about the guy in Florida who died when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom???

That said, the photo in the OP is really cool.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Way

Cool~!! interesting...it looks as if it shoots off at a 90* angle..or i'm I wrong ?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

We live on the surface of the planet Earth. During what we consider to have been its formative period, its surface has been re shaped drastically. It started as a ball of mixed elements, over which time the heaviest of them sunk, the lightest of them rose to the surface, and formed the layer upon which we sit. This process in and of itself was one of constant migration. The lava beneath the surface, drove the continents as we know them apart, from what was once one massive landmass, into the familiar shapes of our nations and states, and forming the recognisable vessel of our seas and oceans.

But here is the interesting thing about human perception. As our ability to record time, to mark the passage of it, and to record what happens in a given period with ever better understanding, improved, do did our perception of time change. To watch a documentary on geology, is to be accelerated through billions of years, described in a short period of time, after which discoveries made in modern times are discussed in significant detail. It is as if our understanding of our planet is affected by a time dilation effect, where the closer you get to the present day, the more data there is, and so it feels like changes to our planet now are somehow weird, even when that documentary will rightly tell you, that our planet continues to change even now.

The reality of the situation is this...

This is today. Today things will happen, which have not happened before. The nature of the universe, whether we are talking about at the scale of galaxies and grand lumps of dark matter and energy, or at the scale of individual decaying isotopes, is change, flux, movement, alteration, difference one moment to the next. Anything else is heat death, which, when all other changes and probabilities have been exhausted, may also come to pass one day. Our perception of these slow changes, over the course of human endeavour, may make us feel like geological matters are a thing of yesteryear, despite the occasional tectonic or volcanic reminder, but we must keep in mind that our understanding is based on only a couple of centuries of even the barest insight into the workings of the planet on a wider scale!

Yes, sinkholes are a little concerning, but taken in context, they are merely another in a long line of events which have played out on this planet, many of which would have been very concerning to those who were around to see them. You also have to remember that for a great deal of the lifespan of this planet, the vast majority in fact, there has been no one around to bare first hand witness to the savage nature of its evolution into the lush, verdant orb we know today!

If we had been alive during the period when the dinosaurs walked the Earth, or even the period before that, the headlines would have been MUCH more terrifying than those which spawn from sinkholes opening up!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Hmmm yes I totally agree you really made sense ther I mean for all we know the event that actually did kill the dinos could only happen once every 65 million years and could happen tomorrow...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks True Brit! Well said.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The only concern that could be inferred is that if methane release spawned these holes.......imagine the consternation should one open up explosively in downtown Yellowknife or Petrogorsk (sic)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The walls of that hole looks pretty smooth wonder what information they hold.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Amazing phenom, could literally happen anywhere at anytime YIKES !

top topics

join