It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fish Fossil' Found by NASA's Mars Rover; 'Greatest Discovery' says NASA Scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Maybe it has been posted before, but if its true, this is a very interesting discovery on Mars.
Unfortunately I have not been able to verify the information on any other site, or even directly from NASA and that makes me a bit skeptical.

msnbc.website...

Curiosity, NASA’s Mars rover, has successfully collected samples and stunning images that are leaving scientists puzzled yet “extremely optimistic,” mission officials said.

During the rover’s latest boring of a 2.5-inch-deep hole into Windjana, the rover not only collected valuable fine-grained mudstone samples but it’s the images the rover captured that have scientists on the edge of their seats.

Scientists believe the images, which seem to show the fossilized remains of a fish-like creature, are definitive proof of the Red Planet’s supported life from millions of years ago.

NASA officials have named the fish-like fossil, “The Roman Red Fish,” after Mars, the Roman god of war and the planet’s nickname “Red Planet.”

The awesome discovery is the most significant proof of life since the Mars rover’s analyzation of rocks back in March that concluded Mars was capable of supporting life in the distant past, according to scientists.

“This is extraordinary news for the scientific community. We’ve found minute evidence of prior life before but nothing as concrete as this,” said Dr. Elle Stafon, NASA’s Chief Scientist.

The fossil seems to be located in an area that looks to have once been a stream, river or area that supported water. Mission scientists want Curiosity to climb up through the foothills, gathering more rock samples as it goes.

The rover’s measurements could help shed light on why and when Mars changed from a relatively warm and wet planet to the cold and dry world we know today, NASA officials have said.

While Windjana powder has been previously delivered, Curiosity currently carries the material excavated from the fossil site, NASA officials said.

“We’ll need to wait some time before we get the samples back to a lab and see what else can be discovered,” said Dr. Elle Stafon. “It’ll be amazing to see what is there. But in the meantime we have many images to study and analyze. It’s truly the greatest discovery we’ve ever found.”

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Where's Arken?

ARKEN!

Hey! Arken!

Will be interesting to check back on validity of said subject.

Gotta SnF from me though.

link   
a reply to: jpcvanheijst

Is that website truly msnbc?

I ask because of the news stories at the bottom of the page announcing Macauly Culkin's death and some guy getting 300 years in prison for killing 33 cats.

link   

You may want to verify this with at least one other source. Did you check out the other headlines at the bottom of your link?

If true, I doubt NASA would let us all know about it.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I would normally say "Rock" but...

On the other hand, what should be world-wide headline news doesn't seem to be appearing anywhere else...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Wow interesting find but did you not notice the big planet of the apes face right above it check that out!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sorry that site is as fake as Kim Kardassians figure.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Fake news on my doorstep, I couldn't take one more step (anyone get the reference?)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Is that website truly msnbc?

I ask because of the news stories at the bottom of the page announcing Macauly Culkin's death and some guy getting 300 years in prison for killing 33 cats.

No. It is not MSNBC. It is actually Viral News. We need another source.

ETA: The image only shows up on this website. I can't find it any place else. I'm thinking Hoax.

edit on 11/13/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: On the level

THE WEBSITE IS NOT MSNBC. THE DOMAIN IS WEBSITE it's not safe to visit that site I'm guessing be careful. It is the new .website extension and someone probably bought the msnbc one before they did. I wouldn't visit the site personally.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I call hoax. Here is the real photo and there is no fish.

www.nasa.gov...

Just a fish tale.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This sure is a fishy story ...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Sandworms?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tazkven
Sandworms?

Drill holes?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Aw, man ...

*puts away thumper device*

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If its a fake story or hoax, perhaps this thread can be deleted.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Rover drill holes?

Or non mars just some random desert drill holes?
Not saying your are wrong about what the could be just looks massive, could be missing lots of context tho

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I was being sarcastic with Tazkven lol.

It could be anything... even something created by Tazvkin's thumper device.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
another fish fossil on Mars , interesting

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Don MacLean - American Pie!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join