It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual foods, dishes or food combinations from your Country or region.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm from Scotland. Going down to a harbourside takeaway on a foggy night, ordering either fish (or deep-fried black pudding for the health conscious) and chips, getting the meal wrapped in newspaper, then going back to the car and watching the boats come into the harbour.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Beef heart.

Stewed or roasted.

I also love poultry hearts. They go really well in sauce over noodles.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
Pizza Crunch aka Deep Fried Pizza

Looks disgusting, sounds disgusting to those health conscious people but is lovely in my opinion.

Deep Fried Mars Bar

Another deep fried chip shop delight is the wonder that is a deep fried mars bar

Chippy Sauce

It's different from brown sauce it's definetly a central east coast thing and NO IT IS NOT VINEGAR AND HP i have it on good authority that it is actually watered down cheap brown sauce

Munchie/Munchy Box

Nothing says cheap takeaway quite like this.

I've kind of had a laugh here. We have a lot of good things here in Scotland. Haggis, Black Pudding, White Pudding etc

Highland Rocks which are BBQ sauce pork fillet strips and cheese wrapped in sausage meat and bread crumbs.
Stovies which is a bit like a corned beef hash

Too much to mention

are you a lanarkshire boy?cause i,ve no saw the munchy box else where in scotland apart fae lanarkshire.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: thov420
Well being Norwegian, we have a few odd/weird dishes almost every holiday.

Lefse - Basically a potato tortilla, some people just put butter on it but I always eat mine with butter and white sugar. Brown sugar is also popular. It's almost always eaten as a dessert.

Lutefisk - "It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture. Its name literally means "lye fish."" Only tried it once and that was enough to turn me off for life lol.

Then there's Kumla/Komle which is a basic potato dumpling. Also called blood kumla if cooked in animal blood. Another tried it once and gave up dish.

I've tried lutefisk...ugh. It has the texture of a large booger and tastes like the smell of cat pee.
I've seen a guy freak out and get sick when he found out he was eating an armadillo.
They actually taste pretty good. Almost exactly like pork loin.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Starpilot80

That sounds pretty good. I've had blood sausage. What's gross about blood?
Any good steak is plenty bloody. I like the taste and it's loaded with nutrition.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My grandpa used to love having beef tongue sandwiches. The idea itself just turns me off. He also used to have beef heart sandwiches and that seems better than tongue to me.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thov420

My grandpa used to love having beef tongue sandwiches. The idea itself just turns me off. He also used to have beef heart sandwiches and that seems better than tongue to me.

The tongue and heart are the best parts of the animal in my opinion.
Brain scrambled with eggs and fried testicles are pretty good, too.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

The butcher at our regular grocery store is of Polish descent and he gets a lot of the offal in because of his roots and because of the local South American population. He was surprised to see us out buying the hearts, but we have access to heart, kidney, tripe, and tongue. We'd get tongue except my husband is a little intimidated by the outer texture, and one tongue runs about $16.

My grandparents were good ole farm folks, so they used to have the bits most people would turn up their nose at, including the tongue. Tongue sandwiches are pretty darn good if I remember right.

I also do like Rocky Mountain Oysters.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

My father's favorite food growing up was beef tongue.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In the spring time in New Hampshire, USA you can find " fiddle heads" growing on the side of the road. They are the the beginning of a fern before it's opened, and still curled up tight, and green. Pick them, steam them, and top with vinegar....old school food.

For the sweet side...we dip dunkin donuts in real maple syrup right out of the sugar shack it made in...or put it on vanilla ice cream.
edit on 10-11-2014 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Ok so we have all eaten the worm from the bottom of a bottle of Mezcal, but they have been marinated for so long you dont get the full flavour and texture of eating say a raw witchetty grub
en.wikipedia.org...

you can cook them but raw is the way to go

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
My ex-mother in law would cook a sheep's head once a year as a Mexican tradition on one holiday or another (can't rightly remember which).

Never got drunk enough to try it. Not real keen on brains, eyeballs and cheek meat.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
We eat this weird brownish colored pudding around Easter here in Finland, its called 'Mämmi'.

Mämmi recipe

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starpilot80
Blood pancakes with lingonberry-jam and colostrum is my personal weakness. They are pretty common dishes here, in Finnish countryside.

Is that reindeer blood and colostrum?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TatTvamAsi
We eat this weird brownish colored pudding around Easter here in Finland, its called 'Mämmi'.

Mämmi recipe

That sounds good.
I will be trying to make that... it will not be totally traditional though. It is a lack of birch bark for me.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

We'd get tongue except my husband is a little intimidated by the outer texture, and one tongue runs about $16.

Do you scald and scrape the tongue?

We always dropped them in boiling water to loosen the tough and raspy outer layer, then peel and scrape it off with a knife.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Sure, try it out. Usually, it splits opinions. Some like it, some don't. I guess part of the aversion is related to the color of the dish. Normally, you add some cream or milk to a serving of the stuff.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
in the Chesapeake region we has Scrapple. Pork liver and corn meal and some other goodies.
Comes in a greenish square. Best when fried to a crisp. There's also a Turkey version for the health conscious!

sacatomato.com...

We also have Hominy. Think of cracked corn. Takes hours of simmering to get it soft enough to eat. Many places have canned hominy, dry hominy is hard to find (I get it at Mexican/Latin stores).

www.eatsforone.com...
edit on 11-11-2014 by works4dhs because: add pic links, can't figure how to add actual pics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join