It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual foods, dishes or food combinations from your Country or region.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Food across the globe is diverse and we all know that certain cultures eat insects, dogs ect but does your country or region have an unusual food stuff or dish that would blow an outsiders mind?

I find it fascinating that in a country as small as the UK can have such wide gaps in what is deemed correct when it comes to food.

As an example in the area I grew up we would eat pickled cockles(a small clam like shellfish in vinager) mixed up with mushy peas and a big dollop of mint sauce(Mint leaves steeped in Malt vinager and sugar).

It's amazing but travel maybe 100 miles and mention it and people look at you like your completley insane.

I have quite a few scottish friends and they tell me that theres nothing better than a cheap frozen pizza dipped in batter and deep fried and I give them the same look I get if I mention the cockles.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Here in the Rio Grande valley we like to slice up pig guts and deep fry them in lard.

Commonly known as Chichirones...yummmmmm.........not to be confused with fried pig skin or "crackelins" or Chicharron.

panlasangpinoy.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The weirdest thing my mother made was sauerkraut and sausage. Thats not to strange.
She did call bell peppers something odd. She called them mango's.
For some reason that was a common name for bell peppers around here. No idea why.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Here in the Rio Grande valley we like to slice up pig guts and deep fry them in lard.

Commonly known as Chichirones...yummmmmm.........not to be confused with fried pig skin or "crackelins" or Chicharron.

panlasangpinoy.com...

I think we've just solved the diabetes problem down there.

As for the OP: Anything found at a carnival.

edit on 10-11-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
That looks really good, I will ask my butcher if he can get me some!

They look a little like what we call pork scratching wich is made from pig skin. and imagine they are a tasty crispy salty treat!

I like the bit where the recipe states that they go well with beer.

a reply to: olaru12

edit on 1120141108pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-10T13:09:08-06:0009f09 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
That is an unusal name, We call them peppers with a colour preceeding it.

What did she call mangos if I may ask?

a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I though Diabetes was sugar related not fat although it does seem a little calorific!

Carnival food is always dubious at best.

a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

That was the mid to late seventies. I'm not sure we had ever seen a real mango at that time. If we had I can't remember.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

As a fellow Brit I could never get my head around jellied eels, and pie mash and liquor ugghhh

Cody

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Chicken and waffles is probably the best thing I've ever had that makes no sense. Youd think maple syrup and gravy wouldn't go well together but you'd be wrong.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Blood pancakes with lingonberry-jam and colostrum is my personal weakness. They are pretty common dishes here, in Finnish countryside.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think that deserves a recipe so the adventerous of us can try to recreate a dish like that.

I wouldgive it a go, the blood panccakes do not put me off as black pudding is one of my favorite foods.

a reply to: Starpilot80

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Sorry to be off topic

Why haven't you got an avatar yet ?

If you click on my sig strip where it it says avatar creations below this it will take you to the avatars team, make a request and let us work our magic for you.

Cody

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not a problem, you asked when I rejoined and I never got round to it.

Will contact you soon.

a reply to: cody599

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well being Norwegian, we have a few odd/weird dishes almost every holiday.

Lefse - Basically a potato tortilla, some people just put butter on it but I always eat mine with butter and white sugar. Brown sugar is also popular. It's almost always eaten as a dessert.

Lutefisk - "It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture. Its name literally means "lye fish."" Only tried it once and that was enough to turn me off for life lol.

Then there's Kumla/Komle which is a basic potato dumpling. Also called blood kumla if cooked in animal blood. Another tried it once and gave up dish.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I think that deserves a recipe so the adventerous of us can try to recreate a dish like that.

I wouldgive it a go, the blood panccakes do not put me off as black pudding is one of my favorite foods.

a reply to: Starpilot80

500ml of blood
300ml of beer or mineral water
500ml off rye (or barley) flour
1 egg
1 big onion (chopped, glazed)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground blackpepper
1,5 teaspoon of marjoram

-butter for frying
-lingonberry-jam

1.Whip the blood until it's fluffy.
Add beer, egg and the flours as you whip.

2.Now let it stand for a couple of hours,
but remember to beat the dough 2-3 times
in between.

3.Add glazed onion and spices into the dough.

4.Bake a testcake.

Use enough butter to get crispy-edged pancakes.

(Pour some lingonberry-jam on top of the pancakes
and enjoy).
edit on 10-11-2014 by Starpilot80 because: fixing my lousy rally english

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Banana & Marmite sarni on white bread with butter mmmmm

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
That Sir is both wrong and right in exactly the correct proportions.

Can you explain to others why this should not be banned under international law or is the proof in the eating.

a reply to: f4andHALFtoads

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Pizza Crunch aka Deep Fried Pizza

Looks disgusting, sounds disgusting to those health conscious people but is lovely in my opinion.

Deep Fried Mars Bar

Another deep fried chip shop delight is the wonder that is a deep fried mars bar

Chippy Sauce

It's different from brown sauce it's definetly a central east coast thing and NO IT IS NOT VINEGAR AND HP i have it on good authority that it is actually watered down cheap brown sauce

Munchie/Munchy Box

Nothing says cheap takeaway quite like this.

I've kind of had a laugh here. We have a lot of good things here in Scotland. Haggis, Black Pudding, White Pudding etc

Highland Rocks which are BBQ sauce pork fillet strips and cheese wrapped in sausage meat and bread crumbs.
Stovies which is a bit like a corned beef hash

Too much to mention

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
White pudding is the food of the gods, I enjoy my time in scotland for that reason alone.

Deep fried mars bars I will pass on though.

a reply to: Scotscorps84

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join