It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Butterfly found in Norway today ... Indian Tortoiseshell from the Himalayas!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Going back home to my apartment today late in the evening, I found the following butterfly sitting on the side of our walls:

The closest match on the Internet that I can find is an Indian Tortoiseshell from the Himalayas. How did this little critter manage to get all the way from there to up here just below the Arctic circle?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
I recognize that one from my garden here in Denmark.

Actually you found a very common small Tortoiseshell from the northern regions, which is often mistaken as the large Tortoiseshell which is rare to find.

Small Tortoiseshell, also called the little fox, may be confused with it in Denmark very rare Large tortoiseshell or large fox, however, is larger and has white spots on the forewings.

CLICK ME (Google translate)

edit on 9-11-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Thanks. I haven't seen any butterflies where I live all Summer. Now it's November, I find one.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This are the most common butterflies we have here in Germany, I often find them in my room when the temperatures start dropping or are too hot.

Normally they like warm weather and search for a save place in winter, so maybe it looked for a warm place for the winter and got caught in your home.

edit on 9-11-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Traveling great distances is common. The Monarch butterfly travels all the way from the states to Mexico each year.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join