It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Structural Resonance... JUST STOP!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I started hearing this thumping noise coming from the vicinity of the refrigerator and my first thought was "oh crap my fridge is on the way out", but on closer inspection it was the wall behind my fridge that was thumping. WTF?. The noise slowly subsided as a truck across the street drove away...

Ok, I need to move

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: RifRAAF

I would prefer that to the type of thumping I hear in my apartment's walls. Followed by moans and then soft jazz for the rest of the evening.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

lol. Not a fan of jazz?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The noise slowly subsided as a truck across the street drove away…

How do you know the truck had anything to with it?

If it did, maybe they were just installing a new appliance like a fridge or something?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

That is not an issue of structural resonance. That is an issue of someone doing the whole thing backwards. It should be twenty minutes of soft jazz, followed by the other thing for the rest of the night. Some people however, are simply doing it wrong. Perhaps you ought to put a friendly note through the door?

In any case, structural resonance is not just an annoyance. Under the correct circumstances (usually involving a structural weakness in a building or a joist in a building) it can actually lead to catastrophic failure of structural integrity (not just a term used in Star Trek!), and by that I mean, a collapse or partial collapse of the structure itself.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
I dont know that it was the truck but it did seem to resonate at the similar RPM as the engine.

As to it being some noise from the other side of the wall--its an internal wall and the only thing on the other side of that wall is some rare LP's... Maybe it was the ghost of Brian Jones?

Stones were in town last week... hmmm lol

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Maybe I misunderstood. So the wall the "thumping" is coming from is inside your place? Behind the fridge in the kitchen? Could be water hammer from plumbing pipes. You could test that by running various faucets on both hot and cold to eliminate that possibility. Shut the valve off suddenly and see if you get the hammer.

links

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I always just figured what happens is that the guy starts, takes about 20 minutes then the girl gets into it...then after a lackluster 30ish minutes they listen to jazz for the rest of the evening. Of course this ALWAYS happens when I have to be up in the morning, always. The note thing isn't a bad idea.

"Dear neyhbers, jazz comes first. thnks"

In regard to topic though, this reminds me of when I read of Tesla's oscillator and some of the stories around it. I don't know enough about the subject to write anything of any substance but if anyone has additional info or links post em up.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Na I had pipe hammering at my last place and there are no pipes in that wall, there are cables in the wall, just 240v power nothing fancy... the cables ARE in the almost exact spot where the thumping was coming from, just above the light switch. I did even ask myself can electricity cause pipe hammering?

The gas pipe to the oven comes thru the floor and not the wall, that is the closest pipe to that wall. Its basically a dividing wall between my kitchen and lounge room so its in the middle of the house.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Hey I found an old ATS topic with sorta similarish topic...maybe some of the posts will give you some ideas?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I like it, I once spent half an hour looking for my key's and they were in my left hand all along, we have all done it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm not going to be quick to jump to paranormal, I have experienced events in here but this was too "industrial", the thumps were all in time like a low rev'ing diesel which is why I concluded it was hte truck...

That wall has thumped during paranormal events but in a different way, and not uniform and continuous.

Labtech:
To avoid losing my keys I just leave them in the ignition.

EDIT: I do have a spectrum analyser on my tablet so I flicked that on... a lot of low frequency ambient... could contribute to the resonance?

edit on 5-11-2014 by RifRAAF because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

That's ok if you have a garage, here in the UK that would be a very bad move as the punishment for car theft is low.
There was a famous case from England of persistent ghostly banging, indeed there are a great many cases usually linked to poltergeist activity but sometime falling under Auditory phenomenon and paranormal activity.
This is an ancient case that is nevertheless intriguing, the Tedworth Drummer unusual-encounters.blogspot.co.uk...

I have had quite a few strange things in my life and do not have any love of the paranormal, from small black soot hoof print's up my wall that I tried to paint out but reappeared to black mist like thing that felt warm and made my skin itch jumping into me and turning my silver icon of the Madonna and Child soot black, three members of a family died in that house decades before we moved in.

I do believe obviously in the paranormal and would say just like people here there are good and bad among them, decent and criminal people.

If you notice anything else that give's you pause it would not harm to ask a pastor to bless your house or some holy water and sprinkle in on the walls, door's, ceiling and walls blessing the house in the name of Jesus, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

This is prayer may help while sprinkling the holy water.

A prayer to the holy trinity before and after also helps.

"Oh Merciful Lord Jesus Christ by your most bitter passion and suffering for us by which you have redeemed us and by the Sprinkling of your most precious and holy blood shed for the remission of sin's wash me and this house from all stain of sin and evil, without and within and drive from it all darkness of evil and sin and by this sprinkling bless these walls to be threshold against evil, let your holy angels dwell here in to preserve those who dwell in this place in your peace amen"

Now I don't know you religion so please do not be offended and I don't know if the noise bothered you but if it does this can not hurt, sometimes though if it is paranormal it can simply be someone trying to warn you of something so it might be worth having he gas checked out too.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I didn't mean for you to look at the topic in regard to the paranormal but maybe look at the other posters and what they said about various possibilities in regard to what could be causing it. Maybe shed some light on what could be causing it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
yeah I've had some interesting experiences with the paranormal, but most of the time you get the feeling there is a presence, this had none of those associated feelings.

I'm not totally dismissing the idea, but I think it is unlikely in this instance. Structural resonance seems most likely to me, second would be pipe hammering--if there were pipes in that wall, because that is the most similar thumping I have heard. Being that it happened above the light switch makes me wonder if the wires were carrying the resonance (underground power here).

Maybe I should make an oija board and try to communicate with it?

"Brian, is that you?... Who else was in the pool?... Brian?..."

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ok, my bad... I'll look at that thread again, I only read the OP of it.

2nd

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
Na I had pipe hammering at my last place and there are no pipes in that wall, there are cables in the wall, just 240v power nothing fancy... the cables ARE in the almost exact spot where the thumping was coming from, just above the light switch. I did even ask myself can electricity cause pipe hammering?

The gas pipe to the oven comes thru the floor and not the wall, that is the closest pipe to that wall. Its basically a dividing wall between my kitchen and lounge room so its in the middle of the house.

Hammering is only associated with hydraulics, not gas pipes or elctrical conduit. They could hammer if they were attached to water pipes somewhere else, maybe. But if there are no water pipes near there anther possibility could be animals. I don't know where you live or what critters might be around in your "neck of the woods".

I wouldn't advise it. Could create more problems for you. Like opening the door further? Since the noise occurred during the "trucks" movement it might be just what you say, a "resonance". So why move then, again? Has it happened before or is their "other" stuff going on that makes you a little more concerned?

Sometimes adding up all occurrences together gives one a more complete idea of what is occurring.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
a reply to: LABTECH767
yeah I've had some interesting experiences with the paranormal, but most of the time you get the feeling there is a presence, this had none of those associated feelings.

I'm not totally dismissing the idea, but I think it is unlikely in this instance. Structural resonance seems most likely to me, second would be pipe hammering--if there were pipes in that wall, because that is the most similar thumping I have heard. Being that it happened above the light switch makes me wonder if the wires were carrying the resonance (underground power here).

"Brian, is that you?... Who else was in the pool?... Brian?..."

Ha, My sister played with a Uija board when we were kid's with her friend while my mother was out (she has been unaccountable cruel and wicked ever since - this is my older sister and this was over 30 years ago), the glass started to move on it's own with no one touching it (they S@$% themselves) so they threw it and smashed it outside as that and the blowing out of the candle were supposed to break the connection but that house was badly haunted afterward, Don't touch a uija board it is not fair on those around you and not everything should be tampered with even if you do not believe in it or are simply open minded, some thing's are best left and not bothered with.

It could be contraction and expansion of pipe's and you would know the difference.

new topics

top topics

join