It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK specific prepping.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
We have 3 "core" systems, these are: power/electricity, finance/banking, and telecommunications, the failure of any one of these, and electricity is the weak link here, will cause the collapse of the other 2 within a matter of days or weeks at most, this will then result in the collapse of civilisation as we know it. 80% of people would stay in their homes post shtf as long as their food lasted and they had access to clean water.90% would run out of food in less than 2 months many in a week or 2. 95%of the population would be dead within 6 months.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Youre pretty much screwed over there. Sorry..

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Retikx only the sheeple and unprepared are screwed.....whatever country they are in. if they don't want to be they'd better start preparing-like NOW.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Indeed but even the best prepper would be screwed in a serious situation.

Are you bug out or bug in?

a reply to: bigpaul

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific bugging in is plan A, unless this place is flooded(unlikely as we are on the high ground) or fire in which case its plan B and we head for our BOL.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Retikx
Youre pretty much screwed over there. Sorry..

Oh no I ain't!!!!! I live on a canal boat, soon to be on around 10 acres or so with 800 ft of river frontage, (will carry on living on my boat, so hopefully less of a problem with flooding). With 3 acres of it woodland, the rest field for growing veggies and keeping a cow and horse, or some goats 'n chickens. Am ALREADY entirely self sufficient energy-wise, solar panels and TEG's on the stove, plus most of my energy - heating, hot-water and cooking -comes from a wood-burner. I already filter the canal/river water right down to drnking/cooking level, so no worries with a water supply - just gotta change the sand in the filters every few years.

Nah, have been working on this since 2004 - reckon I'm way ahead of the sheeple for when TSHTF! Now if the starving hordes don't find me, I might last out for a year or so!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Do you have a useable BOL yet or is it a work in progress?

I lived in a tiny village called Milton Damerel, I assume your unaware or may have passed through.

Scary place and where I changed my views on prepping funny enough.

a reply to: bigpaul

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Doc Martin featured Cornwall. It looked like a prepper's dream, with farms wilderness, the ocean for fishing and transport. Farmers with guns and hunting/trapping opportunities. Besides that I have to say for many scenarios England is as risky as the rest of the world.

One poster said you're screwed. I agree, partially. Because of the info you laid out and also because it's an island. Millions of people would find their way to places like Cornwall and refuge is hard to find and expensive.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific yeah I know it well, probably pass through it at least once a week. got a good farm shop there these days. BOL is a work in progress.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme sorry but that's why I made this thread UK specific, British people will not leave the cities and become refugee's they don't have the brain cells for it, maybe a bit of scavenging in the countryside around the cities, but most will sit tight and wait for "the government will save us", by the time they realise no help is coming they will be too weak from starvation to walk any further than the front gate.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Doc Martin featured Cornwall. It looked like a prepper's dream, with farms wilderness, the ocean for fishing and transport. Farmers with guns and hunting/trapping opportunities. Besides that I have to say for many scenarios England is as risky as the rest of the world.

One poster said you're screwed. I agree, partially. Because of the info you laid out and also because it's an island. Millions of people would find their way to places like Cornwall and refuge is hard to find and expensive

Agree with your post, but I don't think "expensive" will have any part to play in a total collapse scenario - "money" will be pointless. Food, water , heating and shelter will be infinitely "valuable". The only thing that concerns me is when others find out that I have provided all those things, they will sure as hell come take them off me!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigpaul
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme sorry but that's why I made this thread UK specific, British people will not leave the cities and become refugee's they don't have the brain cells for it, maybe a bit of scavenging in the countryside around the cities, but most will sit tight and wait for "the government will save us", by the time they realise no help is coming they will be too weak from starvation to walk any further than the front gate.

Hehehehe - Your post gives me some hope and a bit more confidence - thanks!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: odaeio my pleasure.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In the worst case scenario what would people think is the most valuable commodity?

Gold? Wood? guns?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: odaeio

I agree with what you said but when I wrote expensive I meant the prepping and finding the best locations to "ride out" the situations.

bigpaul said they wouldn't leave the cities so I can imagine it would eat up monetary resources going to, stocking and building a good shelter to survive.

Americans would probably leave cities only after they realize there's no help but they'd still be energetic enough to loot.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
You are dead right though - I do think my fear of "the hungry hoards roaming the countyside" is probably a bit over the top. I am aiming to be on a "plot" not closer than 3 miles to a VERY small village, with no road access at all. Will be on my boats, (one is a radio workshop, since I think radio com's may become quite necessary again, once the cell/mobile phone systems go down), and so will be able to "move", with my home intact, quite easily and quickly if I have "escape" for some reason.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the vast majority will indeed just stay in thier front yard waiting for the "nanny state" to bring them all they need.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
most British people are lazy, they don't walk when they can drive and even on holiday they just want to sit by the pool. we have a few hikers and ramblers but they are very few compared to the rest. most people have no idea about the countryside, after all they say "food comes from the supermarket" or as my friends sister said to me " meat comes from Macdonalds".

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
In the worst case scenario what would people think is the most valuable commodity?

Gold? Wood? guns?

In the U.K.?

Wood - without a doubt. Even on the canals, the vast majority are entirly reliant on gas bottles and coal - with petrol generators for electric. Most can burn wood for heating/hot water, but they still use gas for cooking. Just looking at the boat crowd, wood will become a rather valuable commodity, I estimate not more than 6 month's and there won't be a tree left alongside any canal!!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: odaeio exactly, a few may wander, but they are most likely the Eastern European immigrants....if indeed they haven't gone home when TSHTF...they are used to living off the countryside, but they will be few in number and again will stick to the countryside, and parkland near the big cities.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigpaul
a reply to: odaeio exactly, a few may wander, but they are most likely the Eastern European immigrants....if indeed they haven't gone home when TSHTF...they are used to living off the countryside, but they will be few in number and again will stick to the countryside, and parkland near the big cities.

Yep, they seem to do that already. I moved only 20 miles or so out of London a few years ago, and have found very few eastern european folk just this far out of the city, apart from the annual influx of temporary farm labour. The "long - term" bod's do tend to "live rough" around the parks and canals/rivers in the city centres. I have a Polish friend who lives on a boat in London. he's "qualified" up his eyeballs in gas/boiler/electrical work and has been here for 20 years. He was telling me a week ago that he can't make it in London anymore - everything too expensive tax-wise. He said nowaday's, if he get's a job worth £100.00, it costs him between £65 and £75.00 just for the congestion/parking/road charges to get his small van to the job - says it's not worth his while taking those jobs anymore. He was adament that if the charges increas next year - and I'm sure they will - that he will have no option but to go back to his remote plot in Poland! He's been here 20 years and put both his daughters through uni, and now he can't even afford to live on a boat!! Dunno, how the blokes in flats are making it.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join