It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Trade Center reopens for business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — Thirteen years after the 9/11 terrorist attack, the resurrected World Trade Center is again opening for business — marking an emotional milestone for both New Yorkers and the United States as a whole.

Publishing giant Conde Nast will start moving Monday into One World Trade Center, a 104-story, $3.9 billion skyscraper that dominates the Manhattan skyline. It is America's tallest building.

World Trade Center reopens for business

It's been pointed out that the new Center bears more than a slight resemblance to "The London Shard," of which Wiki says, "The Shard was developed by Sellar Property on behalf of LBQ Ltd and is jointly owned by Sellar Property and the State of Qatar."

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

If anyone knows how to imbed the images here, please do, and thanks - they are quite similar buildings.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hey KAOStheory this is the new WTC:

This here is The Shard:

edit on 3-11-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: added Shard

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It may resemble other structures but what is your point?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Thanks!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: notquiteinsane

Well for one, just that it's open - i missed the news this a.m. but i hear it's not being heavily covered, which is strange if true...
second, the Shard is owned by a bank of another country entirely, and this one at that - from Qatars' wiki: "Qatar is the world's richest country per capita and has the highest human development in the Arab World; furthermore, it is recognized as a high income economy by the World Bank."
And our new WTC looks just like it. Idk, just coincidence i'm sure...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
How long till it is targeted? And did they have to put the Muslim spire on the top? I don't think that will prevent them from trying again.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I was going to say...

That looks very "Islamic" on top of the tower. It has a very middle-eastern vibe to it. Really odd, and kind of gives me the heebie jeeibes for some reason.

I'm with Chris Rock. I ain't EVER going in there.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I'm with Chris Rock. I ain't EVER going in there.

Ditto to that! At least not without a parachute. I still cant get the "falling man" out of my head every time I think about it.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that in order for the building to be considered 1776 feet tall, all of the measurable height had to be structural. So they adapted the top of the tower to fit the parameters.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Reminiscent of the Transamerica building in San Francisco.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Just found this while trying to research the spire -
this was in March, hopefully they've tightened security just a smidge since then...

nypost.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You are correct. That is why it is a 'spire' and not an 'antenna'.

Even though it serves as an antenna.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
One part of the city I'll never go to.

Nothing like knocking down two towers and putting up one. Talk about one world government.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Awesome! I worked on the new WTC for about a year as a Tig/ Mig welder when I got out of the Marines. I'd like to go see the final product at least once.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Who developed and owns the wtc?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

The Port Authority. And/or Silverstein Properties.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't particularly like the look of the building but then my opinion doesn't matter anyway.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that in order for the building to be considered 1776 feet tall, all of the measurable height had to be structural. So they adapted the top of the tower to fit the parameters.
I'm not an expert but I did make a 3D model of the building for the flight simulation program X-Plane, as a user-made custom scenery add-on.
That means I had to do a lot of research to get it right.
(you can right click the picture and open in a new tab, to get a larger version of it that gives better detail)
What happened is that they planned to have a shroud around the antenna to comply with the "structural" requirement, but I think it was decided that it wasn't feasible to ether do it in the first place, or to be sure that it would stay in place in rough conditions.
At the final stages, it was decided to leave it as the bare structure and to state the height with a sort of asterisk that it would have been so high, but lets just say that it is, anyway.
So what there is that you see is a bit odd, but if you got up close to it, you would see that it is round platforms at different levels that at a distance takes on this look that seems to be globes. It was not intentional.
edit on 3-11-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

thanks for clearing that up!

new topics

top topics

join