It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Kidnapped Marine Faces Desertion Charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Fox News is reporting that Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun, who was an Arabic interpreter for the Marine Corp, has been charged with desertion after a 5 month investigation into his June 19th (2004) "kidnapping". Hassoun was found July 8th when he contacted American officials in Lebanon and was taken to the American Embasy there.

www.foxnews.com
RALEIGH, N.C. � A Marine who was reported abducted in Iraq last summer and later turned up in his native Lebanon was charged Thursday with desertion.

Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun (search) was charged following a five-month investigation into his June disappearance from a U.S. military camp near Fallujah, Iraq, according to a statement from the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (search) at Camp Lejeune

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truly sad if it is true that he set up a fake kidnapping in order to take a vacation. I guess there are always people looking for attention. It seems now, he has gotten the attention he wanted, and maybe a little more. Hope he had a good time, good enough to make it worth it. I dont think he will get off easy on this.

Related News Links:
saltlakecity.about.com
www.foxnews.com
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Cpl Wassef Ali Hassoun return postponed

NEWS: Captured US Marine Hassoun Reportedly Beheaded

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Milk]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I was reading today about a Navy guy whose only job is to transport soldiers to Iraq. He doesn't have to face combat. His conscience against the war prevents him from doing his job, so he is going to face the music. I have more respect for people who make decisions and face the consequences, than those who run away. But then again, how many of us are strong enough to run away for what we believe?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Kinda sad that some people crave attention so much that they are willing to do these sorts of things. I dont know that I have any sympathy for people like that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Milk

If he wanted to fake this why would he even join the military? it should be obvious not to get yourself in trouble over stupid things that can be avoided in the first place without complication, not like he was forced to fight.

new topics

top topics

join