It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abandoned Secret Cinema of the Sinai Desert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I love relics in the desert and I came across this thing here. It's still there today however more or less destroyed but not many people know about it - which is funny that because it's not even here on ATS - well it's now.

THE SECRET CINEMA OF THE SINAI DESERT

A crazy french man had a crazy idea to build a full open air cinema in the middle of nowhere. Well opening-night didn't work out very well and the cinema actually never saw any action however it's still cool to see how crazy we (humans) are.

Check it out on Google Maps

Head over to this site to enjoy more of this unique place

www.messynessychic.com...
edit on 29-10-2014 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2014 by flyandi because: Add Google Maps

edit on 29-10-2014 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: flyandi

Maybe it would have done much better if it wasn't a secret?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Maybe it would have done much better if it wasn't a secret?

Yeah, maybe also the fact you had to drive for hours or fly-in for the movie .. and I am pretty sure it's freaking cold in the evening there, too.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Wonder what they'll make of it in a 1000 years time?

Maybe they'll think it was a pharaohs personal cinema and the pyramids were shopping arcades.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

It was destroyed after an Arab was seated behind a guy wearing a huge Fez hat and his camel kept passing wind.

Bad case of cinema-rage.

When will they ever learn?

ETA - What's left is this >>>

edit on 10.29.2014 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
it doesn't look more than an hours drive from the coast, wish I had known it was there when i passed by. Many be another time.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
it doesn't look more than an hours drive from the coast, wish I had known it was there when i passed by. Many be another time.

Well it is/was secret! So not your fault..

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I saw this a while back on Atlas Obscura and it's awesome. It's just bizarre to see the ruins of this outdoor movie theater in the middle of the desert. It's almost Mad Maxian (yes, I made that up and I think I'm going to use it more often). Not to derail your thread, but I think this is relevant as you'll probably find it interesting and it's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of unique cinemas.

Atlas Obscura - Archipelago Cinema

People are amazing.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

That's way cool and thanks for posting it!

I had an awesome desert trip in Sinai about a decade ago and i'm really surprised that they took the metal but not wood scraps. Wood is really at a premium there and there is very little firewood in the desert, they mostly use the very slow growing Olive wood from the various Oasises (Oasi??) and herb/veg gardens in the Wadis.

I'm so going back one day, one of the most amazing places on Earth in my limited experience. Bedu hospitality ftw.

ETA: in the spring it's a bit chilly at night but not that bad, wear a fleece and you're good. You can kip (eta: sleep)outside in a sleeping bag no probs.

edit on 29-10-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I've heard of this too...how cool it would be to keep it going though

I would love to have seen it in ot's heyday. You could watch Lawrence of Arabia in the actual desert!

top topics

join