It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat to Close Franklin Co. Schools Tuesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Franklin County schools will not be in session Tuesday, Oct. 28, as authorities investigate a bomb threat.
Regional Superintendent Matt Donkin says the circuit clerk's office received a letter Monday that included a possible bomb threat against an unspecified school for Oct. 28.

"Although the letter did not mention specific schools, we as educators, working with law enforcement officials, take all threats seriously and are taking appropriate action to ensure the safety of our students and educators," Donkin said.

Threat to Close Franklin Co. Schools Tuesday

This is my six-year-old son's district. As the article states, the threat was non-specific, but they're shutting down the schools tomorrow as a precaution. I'm pretty sure, or at least hoping that it's all a prank, especially considering it's Halloween and people like to play pranks, but why do these dumbasses do this every year? It doesn't bother me as much as a lot of people because generally, you don't announce something before you do it, it just pisses me off that happens at all, especially when kids are involved. I don't know if his mother told him what the deal is, but no child, regardless of age, needs to go to school knowing someone said this could happen. IMO, it's a high school prank or someone wanting to get out of class, but it's irritating.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MadhatterTheGreat

Where is this (I don't click on most links)? Probably lots of Franklin counties in the States (I assume this is in the U.S.). Thanks, and if nothing else your kids have a free day to play with.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Illinois.

Are they saying what the threat is yet?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
No, nothing so far. Probably won't know more about it until late morning/early afternoon, if anything. With today's technology and cameras being everywhere, I would think they could trace the letter back and if there are cameras see if they can't locate what mailbox it was dropped in and who did it. That is a very low-populated area so from a logistical point-of-view it wouldn't be that hard to narrow it down.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Actually, it would be a nightmare to track. If your county is like where I live, there are lots of private mail boxes on country roads, where it would be easy to drive by, drop in a letter and drive off. Mailman picks it up and no one knows where it came from. Also being very rural, they're not going to have a camera pointed at every US Mail drop box.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
More than likely it'll turn out to be a student pulling a prank. The local school system here goes through several bomb threats a year; nothing has ever been found aside from kids thinking it was funny calling in the threat.

It's gotten to be such a common event that they don't even shut the school down or notify the parents. They just treat it the same as if there were a fire.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Is there a test coming up? That happened all the time when i was in college to give them another day i guess. Never was any real threat. But yes you have to investigate to make sure that everyone is safe.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
probably just coincidence but:

www.roanoke.com... 6e-6fdc62a56762.html

less than a month ago

maybe someone has a problem with franklin country schools, don't care what state they're in any franklin country will do???
edit on 28-10-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

and the link doesn't work but well Franklin country schools in Va

Rumors on social media that prompted increased police presence at two Franklin County schools on Tuesday were later determined to be unsubstantiated, authorities said. The rumors, which said someone intended to bring a gun to school, were reported by numerous 911 callers and led to officers from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, the Rocky Mount Police Department and the Virginia State Police being stationed at Franklin County High School and Benjamin Franklin Middle School in Rocky Mount as a precaution, said Franklin County Sheriff’s Lt. Phillip Young. “Social media blew it up,” Young said. “People were forwarding things about not sending students to school.”

edit on 28-10-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just remember before they say it's Ebola that more Americans have married Kim Kardassian than have died from Ebola.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Franklin county WHERE!!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There are lots of bomb threats in schools. There were when I was in school and there still are today. Strangely enough, the only time I remember there actually being bombs found was at Columbine and there was no threat called in on that one. It was found after the shooters died.

There could be others that have been found, but that's the only one I remember.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Most likely some high school student not wanting to take a test.

top topics

join