It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you lost your faith? Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Is there purpose? I think we say that to make ourselves feel better .

I have embraced the idea that there is no "great purpose" to my life. Nothing that I'm "supposed" to do or attain before I die. It feels wonderful! I live each day, try to stay in the present and do my very best to be my best. Why? Because it feels right. No reward other than feeling good about what I do.

I agree. I began seriously questioning religion when I was 13 and didn't get satisfactory answers. When I was older, I studied comparative mythology and the origins of Christianity, in particular. Of course, there isn't an iota of contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) proving that Abraham, Moses, or Jesus ever lived and not an iota of testable evidence proving that the Abrahamic God exists. It became obvious to me that religion is the field of choice for con artists (not that every single member of the clergy falls into that category). I'm willing to bet that, percentage-wise, more atheists and agnostics than Christians have read the Bible and that's a major reason why they're atheists and agnostics.

Far more troubling was losing faith in humans as a species. That's not to say that every human is vile, but the species, as a whole, is aggressive and warlike. Because of our intelligence, we pose a grave risk not only to our species but to other species and the environment.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join