It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know what this weapon is???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hi,

Going through the BBC website I noticed, what looks like an American GI holding, what I think looks similar to a SA80 (L85A) or it may be a Famas?

Can anyone shed any light as to what the rifle is?

news.bbc.co.uk...

(Its half way down the page on the right)

[edit on 9-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

[edit on 9-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Can't say as I know much about weaponry, but strange as it may seem, I was also reading that story this morning and noticed the same photo.
And it was the gun that caught my eye, it seems to have a rather narrow barrel.

I'm sure one of our ATS experts will fill us in.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
That's a pure-bred french-made FA-MAS, alright.

You can tell by the location of the clip, see, right there, near the end of the stock.

The FA-MAS also has a pretty unique handle on the top, and you can mount things like that little scope on the top.

And I believe that the barrel is a standard 5.57 caliber, I'm not sure, though.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by Loki]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Looks like a Bushmaster M-17, but it isn't.
But are you sure its a US soldier? There are still some other troops over there if I'm not mistaken.

Bah Loki beat me :p

[edit on 9-12-2004 by thematrix]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yeah I thought it was a Famas, the problem was, the image looks like American DPM and I thought a GI using a Famas??? since when??

(I realise that the US equip Iraqi forces with uniforms etc. so could the person be another nationality?)

anyone shed any further light on this?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
without a doubt.

the location of the mag is not the key to IDing it, as there are plenty of 'bullpup' designs out there, its the bi pod that is attached. See the arm that folds back along the body? there is another on the other side. its a mod that helps infantry to use it to its maximum efficiency

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Yeah, there's plenty of bullpup looks out there, but The FA-MAS has a very distinctual clip.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Yea, its definately a FAMAS. Since other countries don't use it (as far as i know), it must be a french soldier.

The text below the picture says: "The US wants to beef up the Nato presence in Afghanistan." France had sent several thousand troops to Afghanistan, and France is a NATO member, though just a "political" one...

"1966: Charles de Gaulle decides to remove France from NATO's military command to pursue its own nuclear defence programme."

So, IMO its a french soldier holding a french FAMAS...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Sure, it's a first version FAMAS (Fusil Automatique-Manifacture d'Arms de Saint etienne), easiliy recognizable by its peculiar ammo clip, bipod and muzzle. The new version (I think it's called A2) has revised ergonomics, a new bipod and use "standard" M-16/Galil/Whatever-else magazine. Moreover it has a revised muzzle/flash suppressor to improve fire conditions.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kakugo
Sure, it's a first version FAMAS (Fusil Automatique-Manifacture d'Arms de Saint etienne)

Heh heh...

Now you are just showing off!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Its def the FAMAS. here is a link to some more FAMAS configs world.guns.ru... The FAMAS thought has only an effective range of 450m and the M16A2 has a range of 550m and is weaker then the M16 with only 925m/s of velocity.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
That's a pure-bred french-made FA-MAS, alright.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by Loki]

yeah
anyone could tell by first sight maybe not all

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
Its def the FAMAS. here is a link to some more FAMAS configs world.guns.ru... The FAMAS thought has only an effective range of 450m and the M16A2 has a range of 550m and is weaker then the M16 with only 925m/s of velocity.

FAMAS Link - Originally Posted By Kriskaos

Is it me or does the news picutre of the FAMAS look smaller than the other FAMAS's from the world.gun.ru link????

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Is it me or does the news picutre of the FAMAS look smaller than the other FAMAS's from the world.gun.ru link????

It's probably just the fact that none the pics in the link have a person to judge the size by. The FAMAS is not a large weapon; it's the same length as an M4 with collapsed stock, and shorter than an SA80.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The Famas is about 300mm shorter because the clip is mounted at the stock unlike the M16 which is mounted int the mid of the gun thus the famas beacuse of the clip mounting shortens the gun.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thats a Famas and the person holding it is a French Legionaire or regular French unit.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yep, that's the FA-MAS, no doubt...

It seems to be the F1 variant with STANAG (M16) magazines...

Are they peacekeeping there?

the FA-MAS is a nice rifle with a very high rate of fire...950 rpm I believe, that's nuts...

[edit on 14/12/2004 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
FA-MAS, i would kill to have that gun i remember once someguy tried ti steal on at the gun show and he ran but the people showing off their tazers zapped him right in th neck but he kept running! then some guy at the paintball booth ( were i was at) tackled the runner, ahhh greatest thing ever! HEY DUDE WITH MR.GMAN ON AVATAR NICE AVATAR!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
definately the FAMAS, made by Fabrique Nationale (FN). its a Belgian Company, the same one that makes the P90

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
from playing the new video game Counter Strike Source i knew from a second of looking at this gun and knew it was a Famas. Cool looking gun

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join