It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Ebola vaccine begins testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Finally some good news!

Human testing of an experimental Canadian-made Ebola vaccine began Monday, with federal officials saying the drug could be shipped to West Africa within months if it proves successful.

Health Minister Rona Ambrose said the launch of the vaccine's first clinical trial marks a promising step in the global campaign to contain the virus, which the World Health Organization says has killed more than 4,000 people, mostly in the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

"This provides hope because if the Canadian vaccine is shown to be safe and effective, it will stop this devastating outbreak," Ambrose said in a conference call from Calgary.

Twenty vials of the vaccine have been sent to the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Maryland for testing on about 40 healthy volunteers, she said.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again. We need to actually research and develop vaccines for countries that aren't "visible". If we don't, then we have a potential crisis on our hands that we are unprepared for. That and it's the right thing to do.

Studies have shown the vaccine works in primates both to prevent infection when given before exposure and to increase survival chances when given quickly after exposure.

That's pretty awesome. So help the sick and prevent the spread, sounds like a win win.

It really is pretty embarrassing that we wait until the West is affected before we act.

Link

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Twenty vials of the vaccine have been sent to the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Maryland for testing on about 40 healthy volunteers, she said.

Hope it actually works.

I would hate to be a failed statistic after being exposed to Ebola.

Yikes.

I would hate to be "tested" with a placebo too.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah not a fun thing to have to worry about. I'm really hoping it works too.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ebola was already made into vaccine tests with humans from 2006-2009. These studies results have still not been published, if it worked I think they would have been bragging about it everywhere, in reality, vaccines don't or will not work, just like AIDS....and just like AIDS your government brought it into your country and let it loose cause they are omnipotent in treating and caring for Ebola patients.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
"Canadian Ebola"?

No such thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm pretty sure you can thank my home town of Winnipeg for this. Canada's largest microbiology lab sits downtown surrounded by inner-city poverty in a town virtually unheard of by most Americans. Many breakthroughs are discovered there. Other than Winnipeg being the brunt of a Simpson's joke in one episode, at least the lab puts Winnipeg properly on the map. Oh, and the world's only human rights museum which opened finally this year. But where else would you want a laboratory that houses some the deadliest viruses? Smack dab in the middle of Canada where its -50 below at portage ave and main st. Only 1 flag? C'mon peoples, Winnipeg is going to save the day.

winnipeg.ctvnews.ca...
winnipeg.ctvnews.ca...
edit on 15-10-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Off-topic, I shot all the footage of the actors from Winnipeg for that museum's presentational videos lol.

I wonder how much those 40 "volunteers" are getting paid.

new topics

top topics

join