It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nestle, Hershey help fight Ebola, as Virus Threatens Chocolate Supply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Valentines Day, Easter ... all high chocolate volume sale times coming up. I'm sure the chocolate companies are getting nervous. The companies say they are concerned about their African workers on a human level .. and I"m sure that's true. I'm also sure they are concerned about the bottom dollar ... which, as responsible business operators, they should be. Whatever the motivation, the migrant workers who work the cocoa beans are being hit by Ebola ... either catching it or not being allowed to work because its' so widespread.

The World Cocoa Foundation, is a non-profit group that helps the workers in that part of the world. It has 113 members, many are big name chocolate corporations. They are raising funds to help fight the spread of Ebola. These will be distributed via the Red Cross, Caritas (Catholic), and Red Crescent (Muslim).

Nestle, Hershey help fight Ebola, as Virus Threatens Chocolate Supply

Nestle, Mars and Hershey are among the companies pledging support to combat the disease wrecking havoc on nations that border Ivory Coast --the world’s biggest exporter cacao --the raw ingredient in chocolate.

Ivory Coast has shut down its borders with Liberia and Guinea, two nations hardest hit by the Ebola virus, shutting out migrant workers needed to pick the beans that go into M&M, Snickers Bars and Hershey's Kisses, reports Politico. Though Ivory Coast has yet to report a single case of the deadly virus, residents are fearful that the disease may quickly cross borders....

Donations from the chocolate companies will be distributed to the International Federation of Red Cross, the Red Crescent Societies, and Caritas, a charity affiliated with the Catholic Church, according to CNN.

And yes, the price of chocolate is expected to go even higher. If this Ebola thing goes like the CDC and WHO expect, then the supply could stop all together. No chocolate. And with no chocolate production, the workers in Africa (who are left alive) will have a major economic hit. They are getting hit on heath and economics. It's gotta' be hell on earth over there.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10/14/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well FF, it looks like the first tight spots in the economic end of the disease are being reached......
No chocolate? No diamonds? No oil?
The people who live there will be very hard put to survive when this gets rolling at the predicted 10,000 new cases a week.....

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm sure that once the U.S has plenty of troops on the ground in natural resource rich African nations, the Ebola along with other nasties will be under control, then back to business as usual.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I made a joke about this months ago... to only my bestie that would know I was kidding.

This is the worst tragedy ever!! People are dying and not getting me my chocolate. How dare they!?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
new EBOLA flavored M&M's
patent-pending
the milk chocolate melts your mouth, not your lungs

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't care WHAT Nestle wants to say about their Ebola efforts… they could not care less about humanitarian aid or people. Nestle's CEO said access to clean drinking water should not be a right… 1 word: scumbag.

Guess who else donated to Ebola? Mark Zuckerburg. Also, Bill Gates. Psh!

a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Let's not further Nestlé's fantastic humanitarian work in the past.......lol

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Exactly, they're only interested in protecting their sources and production. It's always profit over people and when puppet names like Zuckerburg and Gates get involved you know this is all to their master's advantage.

I don't eat chocolate anymore because it's source is exploitation. There's plenty of things I use that are based off exploitation so no one's perfect.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Chocolate will be in high demand, maybe even become a black market item in the future. Sounds like a commodity to invest in while it is still cheap and available.

I'll be that guy out on the streets, wearing a trench coat, whispering to people, "Hey, you like chocolate? I got grams of premo dark chocolate. If you want pounds, I got Easter bunnies. Can't afford it? How about some kisses? Cheapest fix I got. Hold on! Wait! Come on back. How about a little Coca powder? Carob! What did you say? That's not carob! Get out of my hood punk."
edit on 14-10-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added comment

edit on 14-10-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It's what happens when you put all your economic eggs in one basket. Like a town that centers their entire economy around one business that closes, the country that centers their entire economy on one economic entity gets shut down when that entity stops, for whatever reason.

The UN has been warning over the last couple of days that Ebola might cause entire Governments to collapse in West Africa, and maybe further afield.

Now, lets look at those towns in the USA that have entire economies that thrive based on one chocolate factory in the middle of town, where everyone is employed.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
bad news all around

new topics

top topics

join