It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Bull DOESN'T give you wings: Energy drink giant to cough up £8.1m over false advertising lawsu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Austrian manufacturer loses US lawsuit and agrees to pay out to anyone who drank Red Bull in America in the last 12 years

Red Bull DOESN'T give you wings – who knew?

The famous energy drink slogan has been found to be false after a US lawsuit.

And the Austrian manufacturer has agreed to cough up a bank-busting $13million (£8.1m) to settle over false advertising.

It means anyone who glugged a can of Red Bull stateside in the last 12 years could soon have a cash windfall winging their way.

And they don't even need a proof of purchase.

Red Bull DOESN'T give you wings: Energy drink giant to cough up £8.1m over false advertising lawsuit

A nyone who drank a Red Bull since 2002 is due a 10 spot, thanks to false advertising settlement

I for once will spare the company the 10 bucks they owe me, first because i cant claim it as i dont live in US, but more importantly because lawsuits like this makes me sick.

How can someone say with a straight face that they truly believe they would get wings by drinking redbull, actually how come someone believe it would get wings by it and still take it, do you want to be a freak of nature with a pair of dysfunctional wings???

America law system reaching new low? enjoy your 10 bucks

If you actually believe my fake rage perhaps you should read the source and will see that the law suit is because redbull would not give you any better boost that a coup of coffee.

Even though there is a lack of genuine scientific support for a claim that Red Bull branded energy drinks provide any more benefit to a consumer than a cup of coffee, the Red Bull defendants persistently and pervasively market their product as a superior source of 'energy' worthy of a premium price over a cup of coffee or other sources of caffeine

which is actually true as a cup of coffee depending on the conditions is made have more caffeine than redbull

Caffeine compared: from coke and coffee to aspirin and chocolate

Even as i never saw a commercial saying red bull is better than a coup of coffee the company have accepted to change the advertising in the future and offered the 10$ to any customer

edit on 10-10-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

I still like the commercials

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

From what I read the individual payout will maybe be $2 at best. Too many people have already signed up for their free check. It may end up with receiving less than the cost of a can of Red Bull.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Can't believe someone sued because they didn't get wings, lol

Used to drink that stuff everyday, it's so expensive and I was just wasting money. Now I just drink coffee. Funny thing is, I feel like I have more energy since I stopped drinking that stuff...

I tried signing up yesterday but the site was down, overload! Everyone wants their $10!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
These things tick me off mostly because the final amount usually isn't but a slap on the wrist to the company and the only ones making any money are the lawyers. Because the payout to all the people claiming their pennies are only paid after all legal fees.

Talk about a scam. I love lawyers, don't get me wrong, I have worked for some great ones but really, they mostly just suck.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Anyone who would sue over any aspect of a soda/drink/etc besides medical or health damage due to serious negligence is a complete waste of humanity.

Not as good as a cup of coffee? Don't drink it then. By the logic of that chart, I should be suing "Big Tea" since its not as much of a "benefit" as coffee.

The US legal system is a complete joke.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Just another fine example of the way people are today. I'm fat,,, gimme a pill. Your pill made me sick. I'm gonna take you to court.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Cool, we'll see if I get $10.

I'll dig this thread up later next summer if it ever arrives!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I hate lawsuits like that. It reminds me all the way back to the first dumb lawsuit I heard of a woman suing Mcdonalds because her coffee was hot.

On a Side note RedBull does in fact work better than coffee. First time I drank one I was bouncing off the walls. Coffee almost makes me sleepy. I tend to get more energy out of things with B vitamins and a few other ingredients in the mix rather than just caffeine.

One of the best ones for me anyway was one called "Function Alternative Energy"

But seriously redbull does give you wings.. How can you make them be literal? It's a figure of speech. I'm sure there are plenty of other companies making "claims" like this..

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

This lawsuit is stupid. They settled for 13 million because they get way more than that in free advertising, publicity.

We are talking about them, and sometimes thats all that matters in marketing.

I prefer we sue the advertising companies for telling my children they will look better, feel better, and be more popular if they buy some product.

No my children will not be happier, look more attractive or be any better off buying your products. If anything they will go broke because they paid more money for a name brand.

It's time advertisers actually advertise their products. Today's advertising is a mind game that has very little to do with the actual products.
edit on 10-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You can't make this up!

Then again it's almost becoming normal.. (in the US).

When are they suing the US government? They said they had evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, they should be sued.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think this is just plain stupid.

I still drink one every so often, but way back in the day, a little Thai store in central texas used to stock the 2 oz glass bottles of red bull. That stuff is what I miss. It really did pack a punch. No carbonation and an overwhelming flavor that the current product is only a shadow of.

I won't be a stingy bastard, I thank red bull for their product and wish they would go back to the original.

Boba

link   
Strange, when that old pepsi points lawsuit happened (you remember 7,000,000 points and win a Harrier jet) the court ruled the other way, one of the reasons being:

The court found that even if the advertisement had been an offer, no reasonable person could have believed that the company seriously intended to convey a jet worth roughly $23 million for $700,000, i.e., that it was mere puffery.

Wiki

I guess a reasonable person thought that drinking a beverage would grow them wings?

link   
Wow, I thought false advertisement lawsuits were dead. I would always see the RedBull commercials and think they would get a false advertisement lawsuit someday, but they never did. I thought it was because of how ridiculous the claim is, its more like a figure of speech.

I could name a bunch of big companies that make less ridiculous claims than RedBull's, but still completely and utterly false.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

It's not an US company, that matters allot I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
one will be frosted flakes you know their grrreeeaat. end sarcasm a reply to: KnightLight

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Aww...I mean, I really kinda expected after drinking that crap daily for energy that I'd grow a pair of Isabel Lucas style cupid wings just like in Ed Sheeran's give me love music video.
I'm really disappointed.

Seriously though, are people that stupid? Just when I started having faith in humanity...

On the bright side though, I could probably join in the settlement, I used to drink through two cases a month.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight
The mcdonalds lawsuit was not frivolous, sounds like you fell for the propaganda campaign.

A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

Source WARNING A PICTURE OF THE BURNS IS THERE

Secondary source, no graphic images, can't vouch for what is in the video trailer at the bottom, have not watched it.
edit on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:49:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

The original McDonalds lawsuit was valid. The woman received severe burns on her legs. The coffee was being dispensed at a temperature of at least 180 degrees F.. That is way too hot and can cause severe burns. But remember people want their coffee to stay hot for more than a few minutes. Thus, keeping the coffee that hot was a way of appeasing customers. It was an industry standard at the time.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I was wondering why the most recent Red Bull commercial had abandoned the "red bull gives you wings" shtick. This explains it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The problem with this kind of lawsuit with Red Bull isn't solely with the consumers, though. For the most part it's the lawyers. This is a civil action, not a single complaint filed by a single individual for damages, which makes it even more scummy. This isn't a win for all the supposed damaged consumers who somehow thought they were actually going to get wings.

(Although, as a side note, the first Red Bull gives you wings commercial that I saw, I had that very thought. I bet someone would sue for not actually getting wings. Because sometimes people really are that stupid. lol )

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join