It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Electricity Generation Capacity 7X Higher Than EPA Estimates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Starting to look like Obama was right about something.

His plan for electricity rates going way up and up might be bearing fruit.

The EPA regulations apparently have and are forcing coal generators to shut down.

However, it appears they are cutting off more power capacity than the EPA originally thought.

Hmmm.

Power plants generating 72 gigawatts (GW) of electricity in 37 states have either closed or are scheduled to shut their doors to comply with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations, according to the Institute for Energy Research (IER).

The loss of generating capacity is “over seven times the amount originally predicted by EPA modeling,” IER’s updated report, released October 7, noted.

Lost Electricity Generation Capacity 7X Higher Than EPA Estimates

This should do the trick nicely.

People and businesses will now learn how to conserve or "else".

And, they will learn what bankruptcy is all about too.

Not only could this cost individuals more, it will cost businesses more and result in higher prices for just about everything.

I think the alternative power sources like gas and solar will cost a lot to construct.

Obama: My Plan Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket

Barack Obama: "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." (January 2008)

www.youtube.com...

Oh Oh !!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
This is so weird.
Obama said something and he didn't lie.

It gives me the creeps. I was starting to get comfortable believing that all he could do was lie.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It'll be alright. Most of the electricity you pay for returns to the source anyway. Thats why the outlets in you abode have two prongs.

n inny and an outy.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
It'll be alright. Most of the electricity you pay for returns to the source anyway. Thats why the outlets in you abode have two prongs.

Sounds like something Obama would say.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

n inny and an outy.

Would I be right assuming you are not an electrician?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Computer digital tech. In a past ife.

Lets hear your explanation for Line in (hot) and Return.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think more of the waste is in the lighting of streets every night in cities. Look at the cities from space. People should turn off their lights when not using them, but you have to make sure your furnace was sized big enough in winter, a light adds a lot of heat to the home.

Obama is so out of touch with the lower middle class that he cannot see what he is doing. Raising electrical rates will lead to a reduction of spending and the economy will not do as well. We have been led to believe that we should borrow to stimulate the economy, and that did work out well for China and the top one percent. Now the citizens have gotten riddled with debt, both personal and national, and they will have to cut spending of all kinds if this continues.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Computer digital tech. In a past ife.

Lets hear your explanation for Line in (hot) and Return.

Yeah..
I understand alternating current and how a complete circuit works. I also understand that not all the power goes back to the source. Try running a power tool with 300 feet of extension cord. Lol sometime it don't work.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Yes then it pass back through the meter box and is taken off total usage

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I remember when I heard him say that and thought I heard it wrong. But nope, one of the few things he said that he meant. Yet those unemployed coal workers voted for him even after they knew part of his agenda. How do your conserve energy when winter temps are in the -minuses? He forgot to tell us how to do that.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Did someone say coal ?

Mean while the 'global warming' crowd is putting Americans out of work, and make the cost of goods, and services higher.

Other places are building NEW coal plants !

But all the accolades are distracting us from the reality that fossil fuels dominate China’s energy landscape, as they do in virtually every other country. Today, fossil fuels account for 87 percent of all energy used in China. And the focus on renewables also hides the fact that China’s reliance upon coal is predicted to keep growing.

www.climatecentral.org...

BEIJING — China’s plans for 50 coal gasification plants will produce an estimated 1.1 billion tons of carbon dioxide per year and contribute significantly to climate change, according to a report released Wednesday by Greenpeace East Asia.

www.nytimes.com...

But hey never mind we should be in 'awe' of the actions of our glorious leader.

Saving the planet by putting us out of work, and making other countries RICHER !

Remember now people China just over took the US as the largest economy.

The global warming crowd is one of the reasons why.

That regulation is killing us.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jlafleur02

Yes then it pass back through the meter box and is taken off total usage

The meter is read going in, not out.

But I'm old school if you got a link for that statement, I'll gladly read it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I also understand that not all the power goes back to the source. Try running a power tool with 300 feet of extension cord. Lol sometime it don't work.

I know I used to scarp air units with a sawzall for the radiators.

The longer the lead in the lower the voltage.

ETA: I didn't say all the "current" goes back to the source. The resistance in a light bulb filament converts electricity to heat and light energy. The meter is on the in, not the out.

Okay, waiting for the link to the new way they do things.
edit on 10-10-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
How a kilowatthour meter works:
Howstuffworks

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

From that link…

The power company installs an electric meter near where its power lines enter a customer's building

And:

This type of meter is designed for use with alternating current. It contains two electromagnets and a metal disk that is free to rotate between them. One electromagnet is powered directly by current from the incoming power lines; the other, by current drawn through the building's electrical circuits. The interaction of the magnetic fields produced by the coils causes the disk to rotate. Two permanent magnets near the disk's edge brake the disk in such a way that the speed of rotation is proportional to the amount of current drawn.

There if that isn't complex enough to convince you they are ripping you off. I have to go, I'll eat crow about this later I am sure, so if I am mistaken I'll apologize now.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The power usage has more to do with amps than volts. You also pay for kilo watts not volts.....
I think you in me are on the wrong thread for this stuff...lol..

Anyhow back on topic...
How is Charging me more money for power going to help with carbon output? That only make my wallet lighter.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

How is Charging me more money for power going to help with carbon output? That only make my wallet lighter.

Also a rip off.

The more you pay the more you help them. Thats true.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

n inny and an outy.

Black is "Hot", White is "Neutral".

Neutral in your power junction box is connected to ground.

Your AC is looking for a way to ground. When you flip on the light switch, your light bulb gives it one. Same with anything else you plug into the wall and turn on.

Because of how transformers work, nothing is really being "sent back" to the power company:

Current flows through the primary windings of the transformer to what is basically ground. Because it is AC (Alternating current), this causes a magnetic field to build up, then go back down, then back up again, at 60 times a second (60 Hz), here in the US. Over in places like Europe, it's at 50 Hz.
The magnetic field building up and going back down, crosses the secondary windings of the transformer. This induces current in the windings (because a conductor passing through a magnetic field will induce current, the same is true if the conductor stays still and the magnetic field moves).

The size of the windings will determine how much current is induced which is directly proportional to how much voltage you will get (hence step up or step down transformers).

So basically the power company is making you have electricity by making a magnetic field expand and contract at a transformer on a pole (or pad) by your house.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I know I have replied to threads like this in the past. The plan or consequences of the way this is being done is that electricity bills will first double and possibly triple as the program is fully instituted. The whole smart meter thing doubled my electric bill in Texas when we were overseas and no one was in the house. I.E. Went from 39 USD for a vacant house to $78/$81.. Same house same stuff turned off only difference was a smart meter.

You would think if someone wanted to replace something they would have the replacement ready before turning off the primary source..

Living overseas and the locals complain about the cost of electricity... Farmers bills are around $6/$9 a month for their lights, refrigerators, and regular old fans, mostly used at night for sleeping...it gets rather hot during the summer..

Our farm house is rather large with thee air conditioners of which there is almost always at least one on and two refrigerators that run continuously.. The highest bill I have had to date has been about the same as my empty house with a smart meter in the states..

I am not posting this for any other reason than to say the disparity in cost for stuff ie food, electricity, and don't even get me started on the for profit hospitals and the insurance scams which become unbelievable once you can step away and look as an outside observer at some of the stuff that goes on in the states and some European countries.

One friend just had a hip replacement for a little over $15,000 and that included the hospital stay, meds, physical therapy, and he played his first round of golf about 35 days later...!!!

I was driving to a city about 156 kilometers away for a golf tournament a couple of weeks ago. The posted speed was 90 K on the 4 lane highway and I was doing about 120 along with several other cars. Well the police captured all of us (4 cars, sneaky buggers) my fine was $6 and the cops were respectful and nice just saying, "slow down to dangerous this road and 120".. the whole stop took less than 4 minutes.

The locals in this country have a propensity to take to the streets and do some serious protesting when they they think they are being ripped off or have had enough of some type of government corruption... I hope we never have to leave, but that is just me !

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Heres a link that explains it kind of:
michaelbluejay.com...

Where does electric go after it passes through any appliance in my home? I have often heard it returns to the grid? Isn't that silly! I'm lost! -- Big Bad Barry, Pennsylvania This doesn't really havy anything to do with saving electricity but it gives me an excuse to use an analogy I came up with. Anyway, pretend a giant is sitting in the yard at the power plant. Or it can be Shrek if you prefer, whatever. Also pretend that instead of electrical wire, we use dental floss. The giant is holding a piece of dental floss in one hand, and that leads to your house, through your house, then back out to the power plant and into the giant's other hand. So you've got a giant holding an enormous strand of dental floss that forms a complete loop, starting in one hand and ending in the other. With me so far? Good. Okay, so now the giant pulls on one end of the floss. As he does that one hand comes towards him and the other goes away from him. Then he pulls on the other end to do the opposite. Pretend he's exercising with the floss. He does this really fast, reversing direction 120 times per second, or 60 times per second if you count doing both directions as one set. That's how household AC electricity works. It doesn't start at the power plant, run through your house, and then go back to the power plant. Instead what's happening is the power plant is pushing electrons down one end of the wire, then they reverse it and push from the other end. The electrons in the wire get rubbed back and forth, like a scrub brush. This is what transfers energy to the appliances you're running.

So it is a push and pull from the electric company. Still can't figure out if the meter reads the pull only. We could set up a line that is on the return side and hook it to a source that will complete the circuit then see if the meter is reading different. No clue how to do this and would probably kill myself trying.

edit on 11-10-2014 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join