It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for preppers and prepper adjacents

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Obviously you have never felt depression. It may seem easy to find something to live for for you, but with real depression you haven't got the strength or will to look even though it maybe right in front of you. My partner summed it up when trying to tell me how she was feelin because I could understand why the rational voice in your head does not help her rationalise things to feel better. But she said it was like standing on the edge of the cliff when that daredevil part of you wants to say f*ck it lets jump. In most people the rational side will say "shhhiiiite get back". But in her head the other voice is saying "yeah good idea jump, because your useless, ugly, no one would care (all those insecurities that unfortunately you cant hide from). How can someone be expected to look for something if they haven't got the strength to get out of bed to have a piss.....?

im sincerely happy that you are happy in your life, because too many people aren't and maybe by going through it my eyes are opened to what I didn't want to see or didn't really care.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Cowards take the easy way out.

Second line.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
well if shtf and your really intent on checking out/dying that quick just grab a gun/weapon and go after the bad people killing and looting at least give your death purpose make it a game see how many people you can save from evil before dying yourself,you see any one acting like its that crazy movie purge anarchy you eliminate them and see how long you can keep it up and somewhere along the line i bet you would find some thing to live for or at least a purpose

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I understand depression, been there myself and still fight it (with a lot more success now days). Depression affects your ability to cope with today - "I can cope with tomorrow, it is today that I can't cope with". What you are asking for is for a reason to live, which is something different you are having to the problem of depression. Everyone has a reason to live, some just live in hope of finding a reason to live. So you are asking a different question than "why are you preparing?". You want to know how to get through the day to day grind. At the moment the internet is helping you which is why you say you dont want to live if it is gone.

I will answer your question anyway. I have found my reason to live in God's purpose for me. God put me here as a caretaker/manager, I like this place so that purpose sounds good to me.

Gen 2:15 The LORD God put the man in the Garden of Eden to take care of it and to look after it.

All this (the OWG and one world religion) has been foretold as having to happen before Christ returns. It doesn't mean that it wont be hard to keep going on a day to day basis when TSHTF.

Rev 13:17 they all had to have this mark, or else they could not buy or sell anything. This mark stood for the name of the beast and for the number of its name.

Apart from my kids continuing our work if there is enough time, my reason for wanting to survive a hostile global takeover by the antichrist is to give hope and guidance to people put in my care.

Mar 12:31 The second most important commandment is this: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' There is no other commandment more important than these two."

There are meds that can help with depression if you aren't trying those already

edit on 9/10/14 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I can understand what the OP is getting at. My history is this: joined ATS in 2009 for paranormal stuff. Started reading the other subjects, and went hmmmm. A year later we were transferred to another state and decided to buy land. 20 acres, with a couple of wells, not far from a major river and surrounded by paper mill tree farms. We bought a variety of chicken and ducks, and a couple of goats. We've become hobby farmers, I guess. With one eye looking on the horizon while we clean the guns.

Here is the kicker. I understand the OP, because I am disabled. I have artificial joints, one had to be replaced twice. I am in so much constant pain, that my pain management physician has me on stuff that would knock out a horse. I am one hot mess. I have depression issues with all of this, and many times have felt that my husband and children's lives would be so much better if I weren't around. Depression is a insidious, dark voice telling you things far from the truth.

So, back on topic - I have instructed my husband and children that if something happens and they must run, they Go without me. Leave me behind! So far hubby has scoffed. If I have to leave my home, I won't. My children will leave if they must, with their dad, but I will only be slowing them down.

My 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Obviously you have never felt depression.

Oh yes. I'm the only person on Earth who hasn't.

It may seem easy to find something to live for for you, but with real depression you haven't got the strength or will to look even though it maybe right in front of you.

Easy doesn't make anyone happy or even content. But moping around won't solve it either.

My partner summed it up when trying to tell me how she was feelin because I could understand why the rational voice in your head does not help her rationalise things to feel better.

I had a long period of time of being seriously depressed and emotionally unstable because of the instability in my life. I had to get up off my ass and go get it done, to identify small goals step by step. I am still in the process and 10 years later depression is but a fleeting memory for me. It's not about how you think about it, it's about what you DO about it.

But in her head the other voice is saying "yeah good idea jump, because your useless, ugly, no one would care (all those insecurities that unfortunately you cant hide from). How can someone be expected to look for something if they haven't got the strength to get out of bed to have a piss.....?

Depression, clinically speaking, is a serious mental disorder that can kill its' victim. I was not clinically depressed and did not need drugs or therapy, thank God. The worst thing people with clinical depression deal with is having no one to motivate them, someone who simply enables much of the habits that perpetuates the depression. A negative reinforcement cycle is created between the depressed individual and the person creating an enabling environment.

It's one thing to be understanding. It's entirely different thing to say "screw it you can't even get up to pee anyway".

im sincerely happy that you are happy in your life, because too many people aren't and maybe by going through it my eyes are opened to what I didn't want to see or didn't really care.

I am a happy individual. I don't need the attempted guilt trip, nor the insinuation that because I am a happy individual now, that I have had no experience before that may not have reflected such.

You never know who you might be talking to and what experiences that person might have. On that note, all I can give is my perspective based on personal experience. I am not here to tell anyone how to live their life. But I'm not going to feed self destructive attitudes with emotional coddling.
edit on pThu, 09 Oct 2014 23:49:10 -050020149America/Chicago2014-10-09T23:49:10-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Second line.

You are a fool, commenting so smugly and certain on a thing you know nothing about.

Im sure you think of yourself as a tough guy, but Im betting you have never known actual mental torment before, or real despair. Anyone who has known either of those, would find it unconscionable to essentially say so condescendingly: "youre a coward".

You must live quite the enchanted life to see things so narrowly and simply. I do hope you remain happy, and do not face real mental torment and an existence that is inherently devoid of both the present realization and future prospect of hope, happiness, and meaning... but Ive observed that the universe has an ironic tendency of challenging the blithe and arrogant who taunt with exactly the things that they think they are so stalwart against, and either forever humbling them, or crushing them in the process.

originally posted by: projectvxn

Depression, clinically speaking, is a serious mental disorder that can kill its' victim. I was not clinically depressed and did not need drugs or therapy, thank God. The worst thing people with clinical depression deal with is...

Then you know # all about what you are trying to talk about with assumed authority, and should not be stating what is and is not on this subject.

You have no clue what "the worst thing people with clinical depression deal with is", and paint yourself a fool like Kawrider by trying to have it seem like you do.

Unless you are a doctor whose dedicated his/her life to the study of major depressive disorder, then please... no firsthand experience = no credibility on this subject.

edit on 10/10/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: grammar

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
"Astride my best pony,finest war lance in my hand,facing the enemy,Ah yes,that is the way to die!"

Take a lesson from the Apache.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ha! I was using the Internet as an example. A better way might be to say I don't want to be depressed and not have antidepressants, or be depressed and not have air conditioning, or be depressed plus whatever other stupidity a collapse in civilization would cause. Depression by itself is more than enough to deal with. By the way, an Asian harem sounds delightful. That is some serious prepping. a reply to: alexball

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks for sharing that. And im glad you have gotten through it. Also I was not guilt tripping you for feeling happy. I was speaking with sincerity when I was saying im happy to hear that you have a happy life. You are able to focus on the good things in life, im surrounded by people who are feeling sorry for themselves but don't know what depression feels like, however its their favourite word. There are too many people miserable in this world and it makes the world not seem as bad when you realise there are many people who are happy

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

My question is: There are many people working very hard to survive an impending catastrophe, but to what end? Why do you want to survive? What do you hope to accomplish?

Personally, I lived about half my life without the Internet just fine.
And, due to my preps, I wouldn't be living without running water. I'll have running water and toilets just fine even after the zombies roam. Basically, I'm Hershel on his farm.

My goal isn't just to survive, it is to keep my family living with a certain standard of living as well. Fresh meat, fresh veggies, fresh water, entertainment, transportation, etc. These can all be had even without the trappings of civilization, etc. Just takes some time, investment, and commitment. And, you can do it while working 40 hours a week at a city job. All about balance.

Your willingness to die just means more resources for the rest of us.

However, let me suggest another option. If you don't want to prep yourself (and not all can), learn a skill that would be invaluable in the apocalypse, and then befriend someone who IS prepping. Go THERE and HELP them, and that way, you're set by simply bringing your skills to the table. Even if that skill is a firearm and the ability to pull the trigger. Can earn your keep that way, no doubt.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm assuming that those who are passing judgment so swiftly currently have the use of both legs, or aren't suffering from macular degeneration and are nearly blind, or perhaps are not wearing a back brace because of degenerating disks, or perhaps are not living with crippling arthritis, or didn't suffer a workplace injury that rendered one of their arms useless, or maybe they haven't had a recent Stage 4 cancer diagnosis. It's easy to feel smug and judgmental when you are healthy, strong and in control. Lots of people aren't. Lots of people battle every day just to make it through the day NOW...with all our wonderful infrastructure and technology and creature comforts. The idea of battling every day without those things might be overwhelming to someone else.

Maybe the world needs its share of cowards...so that the rest of humanity can feel smug and brave and heroic.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Evergreen

So what I'm hearing is you don't want any discomfort in life, right? But facing and hopefully overcoming discomfort builds strength and character. Did you live a very sheltered life with overprotective parents? I mean this with all sincerity but have you considered attending one of those survival camps - beginners of course, that challenge you to overcome fears and inadequacies. You will develop pride and self confidence - both go a long ways to countering depression. Treat yourself to a nice vacation and try it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

I hate when people assume like you just did. I've been handed one crap sandwich after another in my 38 years on this rock. Some worse than others. Does the loss of my only son count for anything? It's always something, but I'm a fighter not a quitter. Don't assume anything about me, simply ask and I can fill ya in on some very serious issues I've gone through. I didn't want to derail the thread with my own personal experiences, so I dropped a one liner and I'll say it again.

Have a great day and remember to always smile...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

Such hostility. Take it down a notch.

You can take that sentence out of context and miss my point entirely if you want to.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So here are just a few places you can learn some things to make your life when TSHTF a little more comfortable. Search Survival Training Camps.

The Wolf College is a conservation teaching college with special expertise in wilderness survival, wild foods, herbal medicine, wildlife tracking, birding and traditional technologies like bow making, hide tanning, basketry and more.

Zombie Survival Camp - We teach you everything you need to know to survive the apocalypse, including:
• Find and create a safe environment and shelter
• Train in self-defense and melee weapons
• Handle and use a crossbow
• Use firearms-handgun, shotgun and rifle (live ammo)
• Stay healthy now and then
• Build and lead your team
• Collect, prepare and store your supplies
• Build the perfect Bug-Out-Bag
• And much more...
Wilderness Survival Camp for Adults and Teens,
with Lifesong Wilderness Adventures in California, Texas, Oregon specializing in basic and advanced wilderness survival: nature awareness; bush-craft; and, animal tracking skills.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The idea of battling every day without those things might be overwhelming to someone else.

Totally get that too. My wife has many health issues. Sadly, most natural substitutes are currently illegal of course (for example opium to replace opiate pain pills, etc.). Of course, post SHTF, nothing keeping me from using poppies medicinally or growing a certain weed plant.

One of the biggest challenges is prepping for also dealing with health issues now and that will crop up as we age. It's why we got into learning about herbalism and natural remedies. Don't get me wrong, in the here and now, I'm happy to go with time-tested modern medicine....but in its absence, will be nice to know other ways.

Likewise, depending on the severity of a SHTF event, etc., I can see at some point, that my wife may decide it too much to go on. I get it, but it won't stop my from trying to think of solutions in the meantime, so I can head it off if it ever comes to pass, and have alternate solutions.

(post by BasementWarriorKryptonite removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by BasementWarriorKryptonite removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join