It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Character Creation and Open World Games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I have been gaming for quite sometime and I believe they are just now scratching the surface with gaming.

Straight to the point......
I am mostly into the pc world.

What are the newest coolest games that have an elaborate character creation setup as well as customizing and personalizing a character .
I'm not talking about any 1st person shooters lol. I'm a real gamer. I just said that to ruffle some feathers.

But seriously, I remember catching a video on yt about a pretty cool looking game that took place in space. Can't remember the name, but it looked entertaining and expensive. The character creation part was pretty awesome.

If you guys know games that fit the description please feel free to comment and drop a few for me to look up.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
There is a blizzard game called Starcraft. Not played it myself as im hooked on warcraft
It looks similar though, might be worth checking out

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Starwars galaxies had quite an elaborate image creation system and you could change nearly everything about your character other than race/sex

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

I recently started playing an mmo called APB Reloaded, it's got some heavy duty character customization. Free to play. It's a third person shooter-style, but there's are other aspects to the game than just running around shooting everyone in sight.

There's also another mmo called Black Desert, but it's not out yet, it too has good customization. It'll also be free to play.

I'm curious what this space game is that you mentioned... if you can't remember the name, can you maybe describe it ? I'd like to try and find it. I've been trying to find a good sci-fi mmo that involves more than just spaceship battles.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Here is one to look into..

Star Citizen

Is a little expensive but immersive to say the least.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissConstrood
There is a blizzard game called Starcraft. Not played it myself as im hooked on warcraft
It looks similar though, might be worth checking out

The title is "Character Creation and Open Worlds" which StarCraft has neither of. I'm sure it's a fun rts game, but it's not what he was looking for.

I can't think of any games in space with good customization.
But then again, if it's not space, but sci-fi, try looking into a game called "Planet Explorer's". It's an Early Access(meaning it's NOT finished) game on Steam that is like a MMO combined with MineCraft. You can create almost anything, and explore a huge planet.

If you could describe the game you saw a bit more, I might be able to figure out what it was you saw.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

For new games, the sims4 has probably the most customizable character creation system and The Shadow of Mordor probably has the most interesting open world style of free roaming, although it is kind of dismal. There's not much diversity to that world. No Man's Sky is coming out. That looks cool. Watch Dogs looked pretty good. Skyrim, any of the newer Fallout games, Thief, some of the Fable games, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, many MMOs. This is kind of a slow time for gaming. Not much has come out since the next gen consoles. I think developers don't have enough people playing Next Gen to justify investing in a next gen only game and it is really costly to develop a game that can be played on PC, 360, XBONE, PS3, PS4, etc, especially when you figure that you'll make more money developing an app, which is just sad.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Elite: Dangerous; basically star citizen but everyone claims its better.

Life is Feudal; medieval sandbox builder/rpg single player/co-op and mmorpg.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I can agree on the fact we're just barely scratching the surface. I eagerly await Sword Art Online style games where we can simply don a helmet and 'dive' into a virtual world. I don't agree with your opinion of FPS's though. They offer several core concepts of gaming (competition, skill, dedication) which can't just be brushed aside, even for the sake of ruffling some feathers

Space sims are quite immersive, and I see several good ones being mentioned in this thread, but you have to careful when looking them over. There are two specific genres of space sim: trading and combat. While modern ones deliver both concepts, they usually do one better than the other. Star Citizen seems to be making a good effort at delivering the best of both worlds though... like taking EVE and giving it a swift kick in the butt. I know I certainly don't have time with a full time job any more to spend hours flying in space, so I'm glad there are efforts towards speeding everything up.

It depends entirely on what you enjoy. No Mans Sky is looking to be an interesting one for space/planet exploration. If you're looking for more medieval fantasy type stuff, Landmark or Elder Scrolls Online are good choices. Dragon Age: Inquisition will soon be coming out as well. Oh, and Lords of the Fallen... though I'm not sure whether that is open world.

If you're looking for RPG stuff, ArcheAge, Guild Wars 2, or Torchlight 2. Generally though, you're going to find deeper character customization in eastern MMO's or RPG's rather than western ones. Not sure why that is, but I suspect it's the culture and attitude difference.

a reply to: Lysergic

If Elite is being purported as being better than Star Citizen already, I'm going to be taking a step back and analyze them both closely. I'm wary of boarding any more hype trains.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Septimus because: added lotf

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Two Words: Dark Souls

PC port came out a few years ago. But its seriously a must-play. You're dropped into a very deep world with tons of lore (if you look for it) and little to no instructions as to what to do, where to go, anything. It won't hold your hand "press x to beat boss" style. Its a tough game, but fair. No cheap deaths, as any time you die, you realize it was entirely your own fault.

The visual customizations are somewhat limited if thats what you're into, though. But the depth of the stat spreads and various classes you can build up on each playthrough more than make up for it.

But seriously, I can't recommend it enough. Its a masterpiece in the truest sense of the word, only comparable to Morrowind imho.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
When it comes to customization developers agree that it isn't needed. Even though so many people disagree with that ideal. People want to make their characters look exactly like them, or someone they like. However on this subject.....

I remember PlayStation Home had a very in depth customization engine in it which allowed you to have complete control over every minute detail in the face of yourself. I made a splitting image of myself in the game years ago when it was still in its private beta. But they soon discovered the complexity in having such a huge selection of options. Mostly data usage. The engine was reworked to not allow such in depth detail due to safety precautions. Pretty sad though. It was the most in depth Customization I have ever seen.

When it comes to other games, character customization is only limited to their faces... What if I wanted to play a hobbit? How about having my left arm shorter, in fact much shorter than my right arm? What about missing an eye ball? Or having a UNIQUE scar somewhere on the face other than in pre destined areas? And when it comes to hair.... I'm sick of it being so static.

Then when it comes to clothing? Nothing beats Tony Hawks Underground 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, or 25 to Life. (At least the PS2 era of tony hawk games allowed total customization. Project 8 and beyond took out the color manipulation.) Simply being able to change the color of the clothing to your liking to the extent of at least the secondary shirt color was the best thing you could do. Not a lot of games allow this.

I have to say there is a certain extent that I will go to customize a character..... But I am sick of playing as a human all of the damn time. I like the Dino games they came out with....

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

You have to check out Space Engineers. It's a sandbox game that takes place in space. The physices are unbelievable, and accurate to lifelike space travel. It's pretty awesome.

Also: Starcraft, classics never die.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Thank you guys for the feed back. I really truly respect all the avenues here on ATS. There are some really great people here.

Miscontrood : Hey, I have dedicated years to WoW. I am fully aware of how awesome it is. Although I don't play anymore. The last expansion I purchased (cata) kept making my pc crash. That game is soooo cool not because of the gameplay but how it really takes a [good] team to get the work done, there is no end, and its a personal experience. It is funny that you mention both of those games. I currently play Sc2 and I am familiar with the original and expansion as well.

DooDer: I will definitely check it out.

Maxatoria : I've seen you around before?! I am not familiar with that game I will check it out. It sounds like the kind of game that I am looking for.

Necrobile : Thanks for your input. I am going to try to hunt down the name of that game.

Cranial Sponge : I am familiar with APB but I have never had the chance to play it. I will check out Black Desert and return with feedback. When I return I will also try to narrow down the name of that game.

Nechash : You listed some pretty cool games. Watch dogs looked pretty cool. That is another game I haven't had the chance to dive into it. Thank you for the games you listed. I will check some of them out. Titles mean everything, No Man's sky sounds intriguing.

Lysergic : I will check it out I am not familiar with that title either.

Septimus: I agree. It seems we are closer then we really think. I will check those out. Everyone seems to be talking about this star citizen.

Thank all of you for your input. I will be back in a couple of days with my opinion on the games that you great guys recommended.
Peace to all.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
There are a variety of games out there which lets you customize characters or worlds, and really looking at this thread most of them have been said. But if you look around there are plenty of games were you can go crazy customizing characters or game worlds, it really depends on what type of game your looking for, from space shooters, to RPGs, to sandbox type games, to racing games, really there is something out there for whatever floats peoples boats.

However considering all you said, and the fact that you were a WOW player. I would say get the new Dragon Age Inquisition game which is out on all systems including PC sometime next month, its got a very in dept character creation customization system, and upgrading system, not to sure about the game world but I heard its supposed to be pretty massive, and of all the games coming out next month, or even this month, its probably the one game I am most looking forward to. Or at least till next year, but that is to long a wait.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Elder Scrolls Online has customized character creation very advanced

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Starbound playstarbound.com... has a decent character generator, and even allows building a ship or on a world.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

You need to provide a little bit more information. All i have to go on is "expensive". This would eliminate Free to play mmos.
Was it sci fi? was it fantasy? were there elves or w/e what kind of kombat? any unique features in the video? how good were the graphix? realistic or Hyper top of the line realistic? Flying mounts? Housing? ships? game systems?

This is how i can help you find the game you cannot remember.

top topics

join