It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Going as an Unbeliever for Halloween.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

Do you believe in the invisible pink unicorns that live under beds?

Oh the ironies.

That's what I'm going as for Halloween this year.

Interesting OP.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Yes but considering your intelligent but skeptical posts, wouldn't that be simply showing as yourself?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
So you are going with the Bill Mahar costume this year, why didn't you just say so.

why not carl sagan?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

omg. that avi. you are sick lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Do you believe in the invisible pink unicorns that live under beds? Surely to assert that someone doesn't believe in invisible pink unicorns is to presuppose there are invisible pink unicorns to not believe in.

Those that work in reality deal with real things. I don’t believe in the proposition that there are invisible pink unicorns living under beds, not pink unicorns as such. A proposition. Belief and doubt are commitments to propositions, not to Gods and pink unicorns. So it is rather your ontology and logic that is flawed.

The persecution of atheists, witches, or devil worshippers was nothing more than the church snuffing out any dissenting voice to maintain total control over the masses. Nothing more, nothing less, just control through violence.

Never has so little been said about so much. Nothing more nothing less? Of course, such an argument can only be made without providing any evidence.

To try and use the persecution of atheists as a way to lessen and put a spin what atheists believe is not only intellectually dishonest, its disgusting. The costume you propose is just as disgusting as if someone was to go to a halloween party dressed as a holocaust jew.

Your fallacy is what is intellectually dishonest. Look at the history. Atheists (many of them theists) thrown to lions, jailed, slandered in name, tortured and burnt at the stake. You willingly and adamantly take on the same pejorative that so many were condemned for, a pejorative formulated within the minds of the church doctrine, a pejorative with zero credibility, a pejorative that is meaningless outside the context of the same religions you so hate, and you wear that church baggage as a theological argument. Excellent work. Intellectual honesty at its best.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

You won't be helping one bit.
Preach tolerance...not more of this crap.

"Preach tolerance" but you cannot tolerate a little humorous crap. Yes you're helping a lot.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I too will be an atheist for halloween. As i am for every other day. A label put onto me at a young age. I reluctantly accepted it as i came to understand what it meant. A badge that set me apart from the others. Even then, i knew it would make my life more difficult in my small southern town. Soon enough i found more like myself and we are all still a tight knit group which has been supporting each other and growing exponentially for more than 25 yrs.

Atheism as an event in life—I never had that opportunity. One day you'll step out of religion altogether and find solace in what exists, rather than spending time repudiating what doesn't. Maybe a move is in order. There are secular places everywhere.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

SO, what are you trying to say?

edit on 093131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: IntastellaBurst

I pressed.the quote button on accident and had to delete that overly long post, imagine if I had to read that drivel.

Not everything can be condensed into a tweet for you. In other words, imagine if you had to read.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
No one says that you have to believe in halloween. You have choices.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I'm saying an atheist, a heretic, a blasphemer, an unbeliever is a mythical character not unlike their theist brethren.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I'm saying an atheist, a heretic, a blasphemer, an unbeliever is a mythical character not unlike their theist brethren.

I know, I was teasing you, I enjoyed your post, regardless of what cloak we wear, it was food for thought.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

a reply to: Woodcarver

I too will be an atheist for halloween. As i am for every other day. A label put onto me at a young age. I reluctantly accepted it as i came to understand what it meant. A badge that set me apart from the others. Even then, i knew it would make my life more difficult in my small southern town. Soon enough i found more like myself and we are all still a tight knit group which has been supporting each other and growing exponentially for more than 25 yrs.

Atheism as an event in life—I never had that opportunity. One day you'll step out of religion altogether and find solace in what exists, rather than spending time repudiating what doesn't. Maybe a move is in order. There are secular places everywhere.

I was never a part of any religion. Always opposed, as young as kindergarten. I never hid my disbelief. I have studied mythologies, art, and engineering my entire scholastic life.

I have traveled all over the United States , Mexico, and Canada. I have met people from many religions including hundreds of christian denominations and had great convos and made good friends of many of them. I never felt like i wanted to escape those convos or the area i live, not for those reasons anyways.

Although, i have yet to find a place which could be considered secular. Sounds like a myth i would like to investigate.

edit on 6-10-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I’ve decided to go as an atheist. However, this costume seems impossible,

Go as Darwin - full white beard, hat, and old style dress coat & dress pants. Carry a stuffed animal ape in one hand (or a copy of his book - On The Origin of Species) - and a bag for candy in the other. Oh ... and take a beagle for a walk with you if you can. (his ship was named 'The Beagle'). I'd think that's probably as close to an 'atheist' costume as you can get. Technically, by the end of his life he was agnostic and not atheist, (his own words), but I think it's close enough.

edit on 10/6/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Meh

I thoroughly enjoy giving the kiddies treats.

Seeing their smiles, hearing them laugh and the cute costumes is what it's all about for me. When My son was much younger I made him a very realistic 'Borg' costume *Lights and sound effects* from scratch and he won two contests that night and came in second at a third.

That being said.

They being fat and happy from all the treats by the end of the night is all good

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

really? im a blasphemer and im fairly positive i exist unlike other mythical characters i could name.

eloquent as always but your point is clumsily made.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

really? im a blasphemer and im fairly positive i exist unlike other mythical characters i could name.

eloquent as always but your point is clumsily made.

Perhaps I can iron it out for you.

A blasphemer speaks irreverently about God or sacred things.
God and sacred things do not exist,
Therefor, a blasphemer speaks irreverently about things that do not exist.

In other words, a blasphemer does not blaspheme, for one cannot blaspheme against nothing. If he does not blaspheme, he is not a blasphemer.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I don’t believe in the proposition that there are invisible pink unicorns living under beds, not pink unicorns as such.

Atheists are NOT saying that they don't believe in a GOD (that they believe exists)... that would make them theists... They are saying that they don't believe in the PROPOSITION of a God. I guess the shorthand can be confusing...

And if you haven't heard people saying that they are witches, you're simply not getting out much.

One of these days, I suppose I may understand what you, an atheist, has against people calling themselves atheists... But until then, I will read your MANY posts that attempt to redifine the word atheist, and smile...

Signed,
Benevolent Heretic
An atheist, a heretic, a blasphemer, an unbeliever... whether you believe in me or not.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That is actually not a bad idea.

The thread was satirical, and I think an atheist costume is an awful idea, however your costume idea might just be worthwhile.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

A blasphemer speaks irreverently about God or sacred things.

No. You are mistaken. A blasphemer speaks irreverently about the PROPOSITION of God and sacred things. Does that help?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join