It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I risked my life for you.... you owe me big time.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I have been lurking cop sites and OMFG I hear this over and over. This is practically their credo. It's delivered with an arrogance I literally can't find words to describe. It occurs to me, this might be the root of the whole thing.

It's why LEO's claim nearly infinite entitlements. That and they complain about not being paid enough to do the job.

I need to say this clearly... Quit! Leave! Depart! Mow Lawns! Drive a taxi. Don't risk your life for me!

The price you extract for that service is absolutely immoral and unacceptable.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That's kinda what I was thinking. We hear all the time about them being in constant danger of not coming home at night, putting their lives on the line, etc etc.

If it's that bad, we should shut the doors coast to coast on police departments and lay off all the cops. No one should have to live like that.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Honestly, it grates on me equally when I hear it from soldiers or solider brown nosers, too. No one put a gun to your head & forced you to hit up the police academy/recruitment center, did they? I may owe you a thanks, but cop, firefighter, soldier, logger, ect -- you're no god, god complex or not, and I'm not going to treat you like one because of your higher casualty rate job choice.

Not intending to steal your rant, OP. Just a mini-vent on my part.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Meh...I agree they are not paid enough, not for what is expected of them.

I also know that I would never want the job. Have never considered applying for the job. It is a thankless one in many many cases.

Not to mention that day in and day out one would see the worst that humanity has to offer. I have seen enough myself that I know I would not want to see it on a practically daily basis, depending on what city you work in. Therefore I am more likely to cut them slack in many ways.

Cutting them slack does not include enabling the shooting of innocents.

Often enough, if you treat them like fellow humans, they will do the same. In many cases they are reacting to the attitude they see. Not always, but often.

They are humans and as such, they are as prone to the same failings as the rest of us... I respect those that are doing the job as service to society. I do not condone the actions of the "John Wayne wannabies" or the Barney Fifes of the world.

To lump them all into one pail and classify them the way they often are is no different than what is done with various races. It's bigotry, just of a different nature.

If you do not like hearing that stuff (from the OP) then perhaps you should just not visit those forums. No doubt those making such claims are the "John Wayne wannabies" and do not represent all in uniform.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I completely agree with you. I catch flack often when I express my opinion that a US soldier is not automatically a hero just because he dons a uniform. Heroes do not happen by default.

I don't think I owe any of them a "thank you." They chose their career. Utility workers have very high injury and casualty rates as well, and they do a helluva lot more to keep our standard of living where it is today. Are they heroes as well?

From Forbes, here are the US' 10 deadliest jobs - and police officer and serviceman are both missing from the list..

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:

1. Logging workers
2. Fishers and related fishing workers
3. Aircraft pilot and flight engineers
4. Roofers
5. Structural iron and steel workers
6. Refuse and recyclable material collectors
7. Electrical power-line installers and repairers
8. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
9. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
10. Construction laborers

edit on 26-9-2014 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As a hgv driver n the uk my job was once considered extremely dangerous because most accidents resulted in death of the driver, so, can I have limitles powers and a get out of jail free card please!

Or does it depend on who you work for!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Yeah the U.S. military is a volunteer force. No pity or hero status coming from my end either. The way I see it, they chose to do it.

Here are some jobs where the workers are truly heroes because they are taken for granted but are integral to it's functioning(U.S. perspective):

-Truck Drivers
-Trash Truck Drivers
-Factory Line Workers
-Seasonal Agriculture Workers
-Good parents

Maybe I will add more later.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I agree that every single job on that list is essential to the comforts and standards of living we in America enjoy, but how often are those doing these jobs looked down on because they're blue collar jobs? Every single worker in one of those fields also risks their life to provide a service to their country and deserves thanks.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear - I agree with you. These people are regular, everyday heroes. They keep the lights on, food on our tables, the crap we buy on store shelves, roofs over our heads, etc, etc, etc.

My point was that the people who work behind the scenes to provide these comforts, and don't feel like they have some sort of "douchebag pass" are the true heroes.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I should apologize to you. I know we are on the same side and understood your point exactly. My question and statement were more rhetoric and directed at those who look down on blue collar jobs. It was in no way directed back to you personally

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have saved several lives from imminent death in my career and nearly died on one occassion.

Never have I asked nor expected a thank you in return. It is my job. I do not expect any special priviledge either.

I don't even expect people to respect me right off the bat for being a police officer.

The only thing I ask of people is to not blanketly judge and bash me.

I don't think that is unreasonable?
edit on 26-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Please add teachers to your list.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

The only thing I ask of people is to not blanketly judge and bash me.
I don't think that is unreasonable?
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I don't know you or your intentions. But I truly believe, based on what you have posted that you are not being truthful with readers and possibly yourself.

There are a number of prevalent behaviors within police culture that actively seek to elevate rights above the law and subordinate everyone else. A number of behaviors intentionally "game" the justice system, basically invalidating it. These behaviors afford you freedoms and powers that you should not rightfully have in a Constitutional republic. You choose each day to abide by this culture. Your actions every day contribute to and benefit from this culture. The term "born silhouettes" come to mind.

I saved a life and almost got killed. This statement holds for many citizens too. They don't have your rights and they didn't get paid for it. I would step in to help people as would many others who truly value life and citizenship.

Police unions steer the leviathan and officers row.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

So now you are calling me a liar. Awesome. I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

Let this be the last we converse.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Yeah the U.S. military is a volunteer force. No pity or hero status coming from my end either. The way I see it, they chose to do it.

Here are some jobs where the workers are truly heroes because they are taken for granted but are integral to it's functioning(U.S. perspective):

-Truck Drivers
-Trash Truck Drivers
-Factory Line Workers
-Seasonal Agriculture Workers
-Good parents

Maybe I will add more later.

You forgot coal miners

Bit Iagree, OP. Too many people patting themselves on the back.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

what about trawler fishermen , that is supposed to be the number one dangerous job there is .

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have ran into a burning building before and pulled a person out but don't consider it a heroic act and never got paid to do it .Maybe just maybe with more monetary status it might have put me into the spotlight much like many high profile jobs do . Can you imagine someone like a Rob Ford saving some crack head that caught themselves on fire ...no not a good example but just saying

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Add medics to that. All the bull# that firefighters have to deal with only without the sex appeal.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
As a former soldier and current firefighter / paramedic, I completely agree! I see it alot among co workers past and present. I am probably guilty of this also at some point. When you make less than 15.00 an hour doing this work, it gets under my skin seeing people want the same wage to flip burgers. I understand it is a choice. I don't protest about it because I truly do my job because I love it. I do however like to vent about it sometimes. Sorry if I went in a complete opposite direction...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
cops go through life with a gun and a bullet proof vest, where is the risk in that?

<<   2 >>

join