It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who decides what's patriotic? Colorado students walk out over history plan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

History is a broad spectrum and one wavelength doesn't speak for them all.

In this day in age you can't teach selective history because the internet provides alternate resources and viewpoints-and you can't keep the kids offline. My worry is that those students who do choose to base their reports on history that is not on the curriculum could be failed, like when Lisa Simpson wrote that damning report on Jedediah Springfield.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yes, however how many of these children understand the consequences of standing up for your rights?

I grew up just knowing that we live on the land of the free. What lists are these children getting on by being vocal!? Do these children understand the world we actually live in?

I have children. I am familiar with the issue of SATs have been changed to match Common Core. That means if the school system opts out, the children won't do well. What this actually means in the real world is allow your children to learn lies a.k.a. BS or they get a lower score.

This is a larger issue that has many repercussions.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

We are about to become totalitarian if we're not there.

The real voice of reason would be pulling your kids out of school and not paying the tax until it's fixed.

But we've lost our gumption in the US. To busy playing xbox or playing fantasy football.

That or were focused on issues that divide us instead of bring us together.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

My fear is how it'll affect the kids who are not bright enough to seek alternate resources...
I doubt their trying to create a passive herd of mindless sheep with this. But by not giving them the facts of real life day to day struggles and fights for freedom's

we're taking away the skills needed in their own lives... They will not have good examples of the right way to deal with problems...instead they'll be left with propaganda or hearsay from classmates.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

We're not giving them skills to take away were wasting their time.

If we were giving them real skills we'd be teaching them about law and how the market works so they can choose better college programs.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have one simple question. Why does the "teacher's union" have a dog in this fight?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well this is precisely the problem!

The United States, having a history program which focuses on mindless following of rules, an unquestioning populace, a quiet, tranquil, almost sedated populace, is frankly the most idiotic idea I have ever heard!

You cannot teach a child the history of a nation of coccyx destroying nut crushers with B.S. detectors so well tuned they could probably pick up a party political broadcast from three solar systems away, and ACTED when they saw B.S., by promoting this crazy notion that U.S. history was a peaceful and genteel affair, free of protest, free of social inequality, free of dark times and harrowing living circumstances.

This is madness. This is NOT Sparta!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I have one simple question. Why does the "teacher's union" have a dog in this fight?

My guess is they see this committee as a threat to their Union.
One it's taking the choices as to what's being taught in the classrooms. but it also brings up a worrying question...What would happen to those educators who don't tow the new line? with they fired, censored, jailed?
there's a lot of unknowns here and that not knowing usually scares the bejebies out folks

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Schools used to teach basic research skills. Now they don't even do this.

I get tired of explaining why a site isn't credible to my children. Their school was completely contradicting my schools criteria. I ended up in a,"because I said so " mood.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I wouldn't be so sure.

I was home schooled and the curriculum my mother started me out on was horrid. Most home school materials are religious and patriotically glossed over propaganda(or at least back in the 80's...I'm sure there are more options these days) I did however, learn how to read, write, and research. Everything else I learned on my own using the skills I had acquired.

I think that books in schools have always been bad about being full of it. Have you ever picked up a history book from the 50's? It is amazing.

This is nothing new and will continue to be a problem in school curriculum. The teens that desire to know more, will. Those teens that don't care aren't going to care regardless of what's in front of them. The ones that care and are on the beginning of their journey will seek out additional sources and use the internet.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

"I'm just wondering how many of those children understand what they're protesting. Make no mistake, I agree with History not being edited. I just don't think many kids can think more than a few steps ahead."

Please forgive me, but I get the impression that you are one of those old geezers (like myself) who shakes their fist at those young punks who would dare to walk on your lawn.

That may be unfair, but these are the very youth that will need to solve the problems that we have dumped upon them.

I daresay that many of today's youth are more than a few steps ahead.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I'm just wondering how many of those children understand what they're protesting. Make no mistake, I agree with History not being edited. I just don't think many kids can think more than a few steps ahead.

Unfortunately I think you are right, right thing for the wrong reasons it seems.

History should not teach "ideals" it should cleanly state events that happened and put them into the context of the time. That's it. Both sides are trying to skew history for their own political reasons.

I don't think these kids see through the BS, they just happen to side with one of the bullchitters over the other.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

One mans patriot is another mans terrorist. Anymore, anyone who disagrees with the system is a bad guy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join