It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7,000 year old wall unearthed in Bulgaria:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
Well it would not be good of me to try and link the two sites considering the difference in time and space.. buuut!! the folks at Verna did have a mother Goddess type figure and your link suggest that the Orkney folks were matriarchal however that's too much of a leap,did the Orkney folks venerate bovines as well I am just looking at these figures of Verna folks.

An interesting mention in your link that wasn't expand-upon could this be the beginning of the burning man sacrifices later noted by the Romans.

Within the earthen mound, a stone cist containing four exquisitely crafted gold "sun" discs was discovered, along with 27 amber beads and a number of burnt human bones. This find has, to date, been unparalleled anywhere else in Orkney.

www.orkneyjar.com...
OOPS messed that up this was a reply to beansidhe not to myself.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Spider879 because: messed-up

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I know, it's so tempting to make these links! Orkney is said to have come from Orc, as in Insi Orc - island of the boars, or wild pigs. The Norsemen changed it later, thinking of seals for 'Ork' rather than pigs. Or so they say.

As far as the burning man, I've always thought that was one of Caesar's made up stories but I've no way of knowing for sure. Burnt bones are strange, but then there's a lot of very odd burials around, here's a strange bronze age example:

According to new isotopic dating and DNA experiments, the mummies—a male and a female—were assembled from various body parts, although the purpose of the gruesome composites is likely lost to history.
The mummies were discovered more than a decade ago below the remnants of 11th-century houses at Cladh Hallan, a prehistoric village on the island of South Uist (map), off the coast of Scotland. The bodies had been buried in the fetal position 300 to 600 years after death.

Goodness knows what they were up to!

National Geographic

These 'sun discs' just intrigue me, becaue they seem to have been so prevalent over such a wide geographical area, and for so many hundreds -thousands, perhaps - of years and yet we don't seem to 'remember' what they were. Your point is very interesting because it has been suggested that migrations could have arrived in Britain from the North down, via the Orkneys and so we would expect to see unique links to Eastern areas. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that these discs are linked, but I just couldn't prove it!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Is there is something wrong in his LEFT HAND?

IT appear Too much bigger and large in comparison with the right hand...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Strange that the fingers are still articulated, unusual.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune
Hans,
I belive that is a re assembled display and not the actual excavation, as I have photos of those items separately.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
Hans,
I belive that is a re assembled display and not the actual excavation, as I have photos of those items separately.

That would explain it, finger bones dis-articulate fairly early in most graves. You'd think they be more accurate in representing this, however most graves have skeletons that have been flatten by time and aren't that interesting to look at.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't think they were describing the wall as a fluke but rather the discovery of the wall. Awesome stuff though! If I'm not mistaken, the Lake Varna gold artifacts are the oldest accurately dated gold artifacts in the world. Judging by the amount of bling in that grave, I think it's safe to say that individual was quite the early Bronze Age baller!

I just noticed something look at his dingaling the dude is sporting gold on his man meat, yup the original baller

OMG I noticed that too, but thought,naw must be something else, I know there were penis sheaths in other cultures, isn't this unusual?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arken
Is there is something wrong in his LEFT HAND?

IT appear Too much bigger and large in comparison with the right hand...

It's an optical illusion, the right hand is holding the pick axe with his fingers curled around the handle making it look smaller whereas the left hand is laid out completely straight giving it a longer appearance.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ilian51378

So they dated the soil instead of the actual artifacts themselves, and concluded that the site is 8000 years old? What kind of science is that? They wouldn't consider the possibility that the reason the soil is on top is because of a certain flood?

edit on 25-9-2014 by np6888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't think they were describing the wall as a fluke but rather the discovery of the wall. Awesome stuff though! If I'm not mistaken, the Lake Varna gold artifacts are the oldest accurately dated gold artifacts in the world. Judging by the amount of bling in that grave, I think it's safe to say that individual was quite the early Bronze Age baller!

I just noticed something look at his dingaling the dude is sporting gold on his man meat, yup the original baller

OMG I noticed that too, but thought,naw must be something else, I know there were penis sheaths in other cultures, isn't this unusual?

Hi stormdancer the only other folks I know that made use of penis sheaths out side the far side of Asia /Pacific were some of the early Kemitians,Libyans and Puntites there is one other singular example in Europe among the Minoans in a mosaic titled " Minoan Captain of the Blacks" who donned what appears to be a sheath.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: np6888
a reply to: ilian51378

So they dated the soil instead of the actual artifacts themselves, and concluded that the site is 8000 years old? What kind of science is that? They wouldn't consider the possibility that the reason the soil is on top is because of a certain flood?

Of course they date the artifacts and not the soil. English is not my native language so perhaps I did not express myself clearly. The Bulgarian scientists went to school just like their colleagues in other countries so no need to doubt their methods. The mistake was mine!

edit on 25/9/14 by ilian51378 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/9/14 by ilian51378 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Bulgaria is full of neolithic burial mounds and remains of dwellings.

I was astonished when I first went there, so much history from almost 9000 years ago and most of it untouched - except by a few 'grave' robbers.

Drive around the countryside in Bulgaria and you will see many of these mounds. Some are open to the public. Some are great - on the edge of tiny villages.

I hope they stay untouched - Bulgaria itself is untouched. Most village people farm their own food and livestock and most importantly their own Rakia!

Bit gutted that this post is here really - Bulgaria really is one of the few hidden gems from an archaeological point of view and these neolithic discoveries are only the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The burial pic is fascinating. How the body has decomposed but the jewelry remains intact.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
“You read books and find statements that such and such a society or archeological site is (claimed to be) 20,000 years old. We learn rather abruptly that these numbers, these ancient ages, are not known (speculations and imaginative guesses); in fact, it is about the time of the First Dynasty in Egypt that the last (earliest) historical date of any any real certainty has been established.”
Willard Libby, Nobel Laureate for development of radiocarbon dating

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verum1quaere
“You read books and find statements that such and such a society or archeological site is (claimed to be) 20,000 years old. We learn rather abruptly that these numbers, these ancient ages, are not known (speculations and imaginative guesses); in fact, it is about the time of the First Dynasty in Egypt that the last (earliest) historical date of any any real certainty has been established.”
Willard Libby, Nobel Laureate for development of radiocarbon dating

You realize he was speaking about the subject of dating prior to his development of C-14 dating and not after? He wrote that in 1956.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

But carbon-dating cannot be used to date artifacts, so here is where the scientists again try to mislead you. They date the artifacts with some methods that have extremely long half-life, in other words, the errors can be very extreme, certainly, much larger than between 6000 and 8000 B.C. In other words, the 8000 B.C date needs an asterisk since it cannot be independently verified by documents obtained there, or by carbon-dating.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

But carbon-dating cannot be used to date artifacts, so here is where the scientists again try to mislead you. They date the artifacts with some methods that have extremely long half-life, in other words, the errors can be very extreme, certainly, much larger than between 6000 and 8000 B.C. In other words, the 8000 B.C date needs an asterisk since it cannot be independently verified by documents obtained there, or by carbon-dating.

Sure it can - it depends on what it is made of and if there is a need to take a sample to determine its age, i.e. it can be used to date those rare items that have survived and are made of wood or partially burnt wood. Scientists aren't trying to mislead anyone, they are not creationist! lol. I do not see in this report where they mentioned the method of dating. However, as their is pottery associated with the find those can be dated by thermoluminescence.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

But carbon-dating cannot be used to date artifacts, so here is where the scientists again try to mislead you.

That all depends on the artifact in question. If its wood or bone(not fossilized) it can be dated to about 60,000 BPE using C-14

They date the artifacts with some methods that have extremely long half-life, in other words, the errors can be very extreme, certainly, much larger than between 6000 and 8000 B.C. In other words, the 8000 B.C date needs an asterisk since it cannot be independently verified by documents obtained there, or by carbon-dating.

And which methods specifically are you referring to? I think you're drastically over estimating the margin of error involved but I can't say for certain since you're using a blanket statement in lieu of specifics.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I see we posted in response at about the same time. Interestingly we said about the same thing.....I wonder what that might mean?

lol

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I think it means we both failed Creationism 101!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join