It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warnings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It would be nice if the automated warnings gave the mods a box where they can fill in the reason for the warning to be included in the u2u message. I say this because I recently had a warning and thought I knew why, I was uncertain and decided I would go ahead and ask the mod a couple questions, long story short I was 100% wrong on my hypothesis of where I had wronged.

Thanks,
AD

Edit: the mod was polite and helpful.

edit on 22-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Hear thee.... A mod has spoken!

Fling thy self at the feet of thee merciful mod.

Thusly no hammer shall fall to shatter thy bones

edit on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:59:12 -0500595America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Agreed. It wouldn't take more than a few seconds to type out what the issue was. I've had a few on posts that I couldn't even remember. It's hard to correct your behavior when you don't know what you did. I don't want to give the mods extra work but I feel this would only take a few seconds and probably result in less work in the long run.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It happens.

I've had my post removed for a serious terms and conditions violation after the mod thought I insulted a fellow member calling him a certain word.

I was referring to a state senator not the member (whose post I STARRED).

I thought maybe the word was in question. Nope many threads with it in the title and active threads open using the word. This mod would not admit their mistake regardless of how clear I made my intentions.

Sometimes they just screw up. I'm been a mod on a couple large automotive sites and it's a painstaking/thankless job which can very easily consume your life.

I agree that there should be some form of explanation that ensures the member of there wrong doing or exposes the misconception on behalf of the mod.

Eh...it's just the internet though...who cares...right.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

it's a painstaking/thankless job which can very easily consume your life.

So are flurry of U2U's between the mods and someone who doesn't get it.

The auto U2U is a quick reminder, and the "reply to for more info" is to keep it quick.

Most of times I was warned and or had posts removed I knew exactly where I stepped over the line.

Thanks for the reminders.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
YOU'VE GOT MAIL
I have been there a few times lately what i think of as funny at 3 am might not be seen as funny at 8 am by a hungover mod

But they are a good bunch ,and i would not fancy the job

good idea though flag sir/madam
and dont do it again

edit on 22/9/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Being a mod can be a real pita, thats for sure.

I looked through the posts and the message that was left where the post had been was completely different than the actual reason. I thought on it a couple days and thought I had deduced what I had done wrong, but was not certain. I hate to bother mods having been one, but I politely asked 2 questions about the incident and discovered I had no idea of the real reason it was removed / the warnings.

At the site where I used to mod we had a script reason leaver that did exactly what I am requesting.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Yes, this would be nice. We could recommend it to steve.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

Nice, that made me laugh.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You've hit the nail on the head there.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I am sure that it could be incorporated into this site.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have to second this. I absolutely want to respect the rules around here, and get really upset if I can't figure out what I did wrong. (I'm a bit neurotic that way) I really want to make sure I've understood what my mistake was, so as to not repeat it.

It has happened that a post of mine was taken out, or editted, and I was not sure why. One time a post was taken out, I was alerted to that fact, but not told which one, why, or in what thread. To this day I do not know. It still bothers me.

Having moderated boards before, I understand also the need to not engage in time wasting arguing over these decisions, but some sort of detail would be useful in helping people who want to comply, do so.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If I step over the line and get dinged for it then I have no problem with it but there have been a few times I was left scratching my head wondering where I went wrong. Like you said it is hard to correct behavior when you don't know what needs correcting.

I like your idea.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your support in this!

Being a good mod takes a lot of time and anything to make the job easier is a plus. Most users are not here to break rules though most do not study and some don't or won't bother reading rules of all the sites they frequent, but if they are told what they did wrong they will be sure to avoid doing so in the future.

OTOH, there were users I labeled the time vampires, that want to spend days arguing and asking "why", they suck up the mods time and can make the job a real headache. I hope that users reading this will avoid being a time vampire, show a little respect for our mods, I know they deserve it.

Thanks!
AD

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If you want to know why your post was actioned all you need to do is ask the staffer who actioned it via PM. I would suggest being polite and genuinely interested in the reason rather than seeking to argue about it. That said, were only human and certainly do make mistakes so, if your post was mistakenly actioned use the Complaint feature so the entire staff can have a look.

Easy Peasy.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Thanks for your reply!

I did pm the mod and was polite and so was he and he was very helpful. I was just pointing out that some code could make it quick and simple for the mod to inform the user why the post was in violation of the rules.

Edit: Good reply Springer; it is probably a good time to close this thread, as your system works and there is no reason to change it.

Have a great day!
AD

edit on 23-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So what? Do they just punish you without telling you why? I'm afraid to say what that could lead to...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Not1Of8

You get an auto mailed warning which informs of the thread in question, and if a post is removed it has a message in its place. All of which is very polite and professional as are the staff; I am really starting to like ATS!

edit on 24-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

That's good to hear. I look forward to interacting with this community.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Not1Of8

Have fun and put a little extra effort into being polite and you should do just fine here!

Edit: I am still learning about how to behave here; do not post politician pics that are photoshopped that is a no go.

edit on 24-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join