It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't lurk on ATS due to Shockwave problems. It keeps shutting down whatever pages are open.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Whenever I try to lurk on ATS (I like reading the threads before signing on to reply) I keep getting a message that ShockWave is not responding and it freezes my computer. I have to shut any page I have open and start over. It doesn't do this on any other site, just ATS.

Once I sign in though, the problem goes away. This tells me that it is a ATS server problem, and not my provider. (By my reckoning anyways)

What's the deal and how can I fix it?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Dawg, try going to adobe . com and reinstall your shockwave player. Just let it install right over the one you already have in, then try again to lurk here not logged on, like before and see what happens. Just a bit of troubleshooting that I would try first. Good Luck Bud, and let me know what happens. Oh what Browser and Operating System are you using? Syx.
edit on 18-9-2014 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

I have the latest version of adobe and use Chrome. I've tried FireFox for a while, but the new version gives my computer hiccups as well. I don't use IE anymore either.

I don't think I should have to sign in to ATS just to read the threads and this problem is starting to drive me away it's that annoying. Lately, it's a sign-in, quick read and reply or not and sign out.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I really want to help you with this but it would be an adventure.

Have you got a laptop maybe with a mediumish-sized hard drive that you would be willing to dedicate to the cause?

It might be a rewarding project. One thing's for sure, your flashplugin won't be an issue any longer.

Lemme know.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I am still using Win XP Pro and Chrome here and had the same prob at You tube, when not logged on. Not sure what is up with yours Dawg. I will talk to my future son in law later when he's back from work. Super smart computer-wise guy.
My prob was solved after a reinstall of shockwave though, so it's why I suggested it to ya. I too had the latest SW Player before reinstall so.......

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will be by here soon to help you more Bud!!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I agree with SyxPak , Use the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel to remove Shockwave then reinstall it.
helpx.adobe.com...

Have you run an adware and virus scan ? , if not I'd give that a go too.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
a reply to: SyxPak

Deleted and again downloaded the latest adobe. Oddly enough, upon trying to download it again, my AV had multiple attacks/hits, which it blocked. Took three tries to finally get it done. Then restarted the thing and WAL-LAA! It still does it.

Only the ATS site is giving me this problem so it has to be at their end, not mine.

Thanks for the hints though.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

I really want to help you with this but it would be an adventure.

Have you got a laptop maybe with a mediumish-sized hard drive that you would be willing to dedicate to the cause?

It might be a rewarding project. One thing's for sure, your flashplugin won't be an issue any longer.

Lemme know.

My laptop does not have this problem, just my desktop and it only occurs with ATS, no one else. I'm thinking about retiring the desktop anyways and just use it for gaming and writing.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

What browser are you running?

I found a little gem that fixes problems with Shockwave. Most modern browsers have shockwave built in. You unsuspectingly install your own version, and when it tries to run two at once you get shut downs.

What you need to do is go into the settings on your browser and disable either the browser version or the other version so only one is running. I use chrome and it fixed it for me.

These are instructions for chrome on how to disable it anyway.
Shockwave disabler

ETA: I just read your post. It is chrome, and that is 100% the cause and problem.

Type in chrome://plugins into a new tab, and it will load the plugins page. On the top right is a little 'details' icon with a plus. Click on that to expand the list.

Scroll down until you find shockwave, there will be two installed right next to each other. Disable one (I usually disable chrome's version) and then save the changes. It should fix it.
edit on 18/9/2014 by 74Templar because: ETA

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Thanks...just did it. Do I need to restart?

I did find that I had multiple Adobe's running and disabling some of of them did seem to help, though not totally.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

It probably wouldn't hurt a restart.

I had the same problem where it would pop up saying Shockwave plug-in has stopped working or some such and everything would crash. I got a bit sus and looked up shockwave conflicts with chrome, and found the links.

I haven't had a problem since with shockwave and chrome. About the only thing, is Chrome's shockwave automatically updates, so if you're running the non-chrome version and have disabled chromes, you may have to manually update the software from time to time.

Hope it helps anyway.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Thanks everyone for their help. It's fixed finally after removing adobe and re-installing it multiple times.

Then I googled the right question apparently. Turns out that somehow, my Flash was disabled, I enabled it and TaaDaa! Hmmm, whodathunk?

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in a problem, we forget that there is usually a easy fix.

top topics

join