It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singularity and Gravity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
"No pictures here, no scientific evidence, just bad punctuation and speculation."

I has been curious. Planets are round, but we know that gravity by the sun pulls on our planet making it more wide around equator.
Now to carry that idea.
Singularity exhibits pull on the whole galaxy. That is a lot of matter there. All documentaries i watched display black holes up close as completely round and circular. Would the black holes not be skewed by all that matter and appear more disc-shaped that a round object. If singularity spins and not just stands there, would the centrifugal force also force it into a disc shape. (Separate though - what if its in flux, trying to stay spherical but being pulled aside repeatedly like a heartbeat. Every contraction would cause a discharge of energy from the top or bottom?) Black holes are very, very dense but when two of them merge they become a single bigger body. This makes me wonder that Singularity is malleable, even if it takes another force as strong as itself. So back to my original idea, i propose that a black hole is shaped more like a disc (Disc UFO?) being thick and round at the center, but more disc shaped as you get to the equator.

Now i got a question related, in my opinion to black holes.
Expanding universe theory - Scientists claim that universe is expanding faster and faster.
My thoughts to this claim - (Bull****, the gravity of black hole in our galactic system skews our observation of far away stellar bodies, making us think they are moving apart faster)
Elaboration - Gravity warps time, closer you get to a high source of gravity the more it appears that time slows down, or is unable to escape the gravity. If you are at a point exactly between Our planet and the black hole, then to your observation the whole universe is moving faster (in fact you are just thinking and reacting too slow from perspective on earth). Would it not be possible for that small amount of gravity that is pulling our solar system to affect the light sent from billions and billions distance units away. This would make it look like everything is moving faster and faster. Added to that is another fact, that inconceivable to us but the galaxy is rotating, and moving according to stellar drift. If our arm of the Galaxy would be rotating away from the point in space observed, would it still not be perceived as if everything we see is speeding up?
I do not believe this expansion theory and wish to know if my rambling makes sense? I would love some feedback.

P.S i originally thought that the existence of black holes has not been proven. Next poster corrected me and i have edited the Topic accordingly.
edit on 15America/ChicagoTue, 16 Sep 2014 15:37:01 -0500upm2014-09-16T15:37:01-05:0030372014-09-16T15:37:01-05:00 by Heruactic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Existence of black holes or singularities has not been proven, but let us assume they exist.

They exist, and they've been observed. As to what is going on inside them and their exact properties has been the only thing up for debate or further discovery.

Scientists can't directly observe black holes with telescopes that detect x-rays, light, or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. We can, however, infer the presence of black holes and study them by detecting their effect on other matter nearby. If a black hole passes through a cloud of interstellar matter, for example, it will draw matter inward in a process known as accretion. A similar process can occur if a normal star passes close to a black hole. In this case, the black hole can tear the star apart as it pulls it toward itself. As the attracted matter accelerates and heats up, it emits x-rays that radiate into space.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The speed that galaxies are moving away from us is determined by the red shift exhibited. As light stretches the wavelength changes towards the red end of the spectrum, and thus distance can be determined based on how the wavelength of light has changed over time. The black holes in a galaxy are also not really affecting the speed that galaxy is moving through space. The black holes themselves are moving. Black holes do in fact have this bulge that you refer to, and are not perfectly circular.
edit on 9/16/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

i never questioned that galaxies are moving. My question was that the gravity may shift our perception of how fast they moved.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Not to take away from your original question at all, I would hope, and
assume, that this has been thought of and factored into the mix already.

We can, and do, factor in the bending of light around stellar bodies we try to
observe and position, so one would hope we are already factoring in even
greater gravitation from black holes...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Nope.
Gravity compresses time actually
a reply to: Heruactic

top topics

join