It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA document on the term "conspiracy theorist".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Can anyone find the declassified cia document on the propagandizing of the term "conspiracy theorist"?

I am seeing that newthink buzzword thrown around a bit lately.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

A quick google turned up this:

wikispooks.com...

Which said:

Originally, this just meant a theory about a conspiracy. Declassified CIA memo# 1035-960 ("Countering Criticism of the Warren Report") reveals that it has been deliberately given associations of craziness, as if conspiracies no longer happen.

When I Googled the memo from there I got this:

www.jfklancer.com...

Not sure if that makes sense to you or anything or if it's what you're looking for but hopefully it helped.
edit on 15-9-2014 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

That cia memo is a conspiracy theory.

Central intelligence are a bunch of conspiracist nutters.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I make no claim to the veracity of it, just trying to help.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

your a conspiracy nut for finding that memo and posting it.

The Warren report has no lies in it. Government would never lie to you or withhold important information.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Edited: That joke went right over my head lol. Thanks for the thread, the weaponizing of the term was always something I've been aware of but never read too much into until now. snf
edit on 15-9-2014 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I was joking.

There are quite a few skeptics that think that memo does not exist.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
When did conspiracy become a term automatically associated with 'nutty'? Conspiracy theorist = unicorn farmer?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well, you know something, while conspiracy is certainly not anything new, the conspiracy theories themselves have steadily built up over time. The trouble is that sceptics are gleefully inclined to lump all conspiracy theories, from the sublime to the ridiculous, together to make the easy assumption that all conspiracy theories are rubbish, and so is anybody that has even reservations about something in those events that doesn't ring true. In some ways, sceptics play the hand of the secret services, and in return the secret services will compound the ridicules with an army of 'sceptic' bloggers, since it is now the internet and it's immediacy and population which heads the conspiracy theories. Before that TV and newspapers only would print what they wanted to, without much comeback.
I like this quote from a blogger I saw somewhere,

"Some conspiracy theorists are plain nuts, but the ability and right to question what is commonly taught is extremely important. To assert that all conspiracy theories are bunk is the same as saying "believe what you are told". Surely this is dangerous thinking? "

Some sceptics like to use other pseudonyms, like "Brights" or "Clear thinkers"...why? the simple answer is that they themselves are insecure in their thinking in some way....see above quotation.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Great thread. I see this trend too. Not sure if the current spike is intentional or just a fear reaction from actually seeing far reaching conspiracies against the general public being bought to light.

Probably a little from both columns.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The NWO must absolutely LOVE conspiracy theorists. They flap in the wind about every debunked theory out there, and the more they sqwak about lunatic theories based on flimsy evidence, the more the true conspiracy backers get away with what's really going on, as no one is really watching the people that matter.

Trust when I say that anyone that you've actually heard about probably isn't involved in the NWO. The people to worry about are the 1% of the 1%, the elite of the elite, that you never heard of. The odd multi billionaire hiding in the shadows, collecting their money, controlling their interests, without ever going into public to do anything are the ones you really have to worry about.

From time to time, a real conspiracy comes up that hardly anyone ever really looks into. Those are the ones that need attention. Anyone know who David Kelly is? Anyone paid any attention to the massive cover up going on in the field of archaeology re artifacts found out of time? Anyone know why Democrat mysteriously drop out of a very close political race in Kansas, but never get talked about in the media, despite everyone saying "democrats made a backroom deal"?

Pulpit shouters like Donald Trump, Sheldon Adelson, Charles Koch, Glenn Beck, Alex Jones et al are just the decoys shouting lunatic ideas from Speaker's Corner while the real culprits sneak off into the background.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Blame Hoolyrude,,

and Mel Gibson.

Conspiracy Theory,,

"With Mel Gibson, Julia Roberts, Patrick Stewart, Cylk Cozart. A man obsessed with conspiracy theories becomes a target after one of his theories turns out to be ...????

wow 17 years ago,,seems like yesterday,,must be a Conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

One of the greatest assets and intelligence officer can have is their own ability think out of the box and sound like a conspiracy theorist....we are basically open source intel officers who use analytic thinking....I wouldn't be surprised if they look to us for ideas at times.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

From time to time, a real conspiracy comes up that hardly anyone ever really looks into. Those are the ones that need attention. Anyone know who David Kelly is?

I agree with the way you are thinking. Most people know about Dr Kelly if that's who you refer to, especially or not especially in the UK. Most people know that there were no WMD's. I would dare say if you took a poll in the UK, most people ten years on, think he was murdered. Yet and all, G.W.Bush decided to have a comedy dinner night joking about WMD's that they never found while US soldiers died in Iraq protecting oil, and the esteemed doctor pilloried, while the end game cover story was a 'Walter Mitty' spy character who told porkies about WMD's blah blah....
However it may not yet be over, as there are esteemed doctors and others, including politicians now calling for a reinvestigation in to Dr Kelly's death, Hmmm, much like the architects and engineers into 9/11 truths are calling for in that scenario.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

One of the greatest assets and intelligence officer can have is their own ability think out of the box and sound like a conspiracy theorist....we are basically open source intel officers who use analytic thinking....I wouldn't be surprised if they look to us for ideas at times.

That's what I was saying back a bit, all that is needed is to create a Carousel for people to jump onto. It's the oldest trick in the book, only the method of delivery changes.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i wouldn't at all be surprised that in the near future anyone who questions what we are being told by the MSM has a great big target out on their back...in fact i have no doubt that this has been happening behind the scenes for some time now

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
think a lot of the nuttier perceptions of critical thinkers [i.e.: conspiracy theorists] comes from those few folks who 'see' a 'conspiracy' in the way their toaster browns their bread. and the like.

sure hasn't helped any.

nothing like a good, open, honest, intelligent mind [critical thinker], but when they start 'seeing' images in their toast/bread..... we're goners.

LOL

just sayin... it's not like they don't have a lot of 'material' to work with in their 'definition'

???

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 12m8keall2c
think a lot of the nuttier perceptions of critical thinkers [i.e.: conspiracy theorists] comes from those few folks who 'see' a 'conspiracy' in the way their toaster browns their bread. and the like.

That's a 'Randyism' alright. Didn't he offer X numbers of dollars to anyone who can prove the existence of the paranormal, (and that money has grown exponentially) in a bid do expose quackery and not yet taken up directly?
Yet this very subject is about the paranormal really, and being seriously considered by some scientists. That makes Randy a bit of a pest, while also being part of the universal consciousness..it's all very chaotic.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Conspire : make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.
: (of events or circumstances) seem to be working together to bring about a particular negative result.

Conspiracy : an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.

The reality is you can slap some people in the face with the facts and they would still believe that their government has their best intentions in mind.

The reality is most of the treachery is never known as those at the top are often the most treacherous as that is how they got to the top and those close to the top know exactly what they are capable of when they are threatened.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Not crazy. Just insecure.

There are number of factors, but probably one of the most important ones in this instance is that, paradoxically, it gives people a sense of control. People hate randomness, they dread the sort of random occurrences that can destroy their lives, so as a mechanism against that dread, it turns out that it’s much easier to believe in a conspiracy. Then you have someone to blame, it’s not just randomness.

www.salon.com...

Interesting study here:

Conspiracy theories can form a monological belief system: a self-sustaining worldview comprised of a network of mutually supportive beliefs. The present research shows that even endorsement of mutually incompatible conspiracy theories are positively correlated.

www.academia.edu...

It seems that people tend to believe in a whole lot of conspiracies at the same time and it doesn't really matter if they are contradictory.

edit on 9/16/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join