It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support mounts for Indonesian Islamic extremists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
So this should come as no surprise to many, my take is that I expected as much from the most populous Muslim country on earth. Although I know many who have been there and they do not feel the animosity of the masses. Islam is on the march I guess.

Support mounts for Indonesian Islamic extremists

The latest research on attitudes of Indonesian Muslims suggests a far greater acceptance of Islamic extremism than previously thought.
The report's release comes as Australia's and Indonesia's foreign ministers host the International Dialogue on Interfaith Cooperation with the Muhammadiyah, the country's second largest Islamic organisation with some 30 million members.

Archbishop of Sydney George Pell will attend as well as leading lights in the Buddhist and Muslim communities from overseas, in the hope that the voices of moderation will drown out religious radicalism.

"There is a significant number of Indonesians, at least half, [who] do not have a negative reaction to that and they agree with silence at least, or protect this kind of activity," Mr Mujani said.

The survey also found that the 40 per cent who had heard of Jemaah Islamiah, a third of them supported the extremist group, 25 per cent wanted Christian teachers banned in state schools, 40 per cent want the chopping off of hands included in the justice system.

The motivation spelt out in the surveys suggests American foreign policy, particularly in Iraq and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, is feeding the numbers supporting radicalism.

source

[edit on 7-12-2004 by edsinger]

new topics

join