It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harts - The Next Hendrix?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
At the end of the day, it's all personal subjective opinion man.

Hendrix was awesome... but it's not solely his guitar playing, it's the whole psychedelic package and he is an icon of that era, he died young and he embodies the spirit of that peace and love era... sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I'm pretty sure he's not the best guitar player ever to play but does that stop him being the most remembered, most famous, most liked? Nope.
And that's what it comes down to... he is the most popular and the one that is iconic.

I mean many a blues guitarist was incredible, Spanish guitarists are incredibly intricate.... if we're talking purely rock guitar Hendrix would definitely be up there, Gary Moore too, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani...many, many others.

But you know what?

It doesn't matter.

There is NO best guitarist... it is ALL just OPINION.... subjective opinion.
Purely down to each listener and there is no way of measuring and verifying and these kinds of "lists" and "Best ever" are just stupid.

Enjoy the music... whatever your favourite is, cool... but it is only in your eyes and whoever else agrees, that your guitarist, singer, pianist, trumpeter, drummer, saxophonist, violinist or flautist is the bestest ever.

Just enjoy the music.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: aynock
a reply to: CardiffGiant

there is no correct - just opinions

yeah. pretty sure i said that in my first post

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

then why did you laugh at mine?

no big deal

my current favourite piece:

www.youtube.com...

i've just finished an arrangement for electric guitar that i'm hoping will be ready to record soon

edit on 8-9-2014 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The kids good and has potential and I wish him the best as a developing artist. But......... he's nowhere near the level of Hendrix, EVH, SRV, Beck, Chet Atkins, Vai, Steve Morse, Tommy Emmanuel, Tommy Bolin, etc. and a ton of other guitarist out there that could school him in technique and tone. I do think he could make a place for himself in the industry though. As others have said 'best' is very subjective. I don't really like comparing musicians to each other although at times I'm guilty of it. I think any accomplished musician is the best at being their self

I think many here miss what Jimi was all about and the impact he had on music, not just in the 60's but of any era. Were there better players technically..yep, better songwriters.. yep, better singers...yep. But Jimi's ability to bring it all together, connect as one with his instrument and express his emotions thru his music is something that very few musicians have ever been able to do at the level he did. Listen to interviews of Beck, Clapton, Beatles, Townsend, Les Paul, etc. talking about Jimi. Every one of them will tell you he was on another level emotionally with his music than any one of them. Not to mention the innovative tones he produced. They may have been noise to some but they were beautiful to the people that get the bare root soul of what music is.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

you can also check out what clapton, townsend, and others say about robert johnson.

www.goodreads.com...

At first the music almost repelled me, it was so intense, and this man made no attempt to sugarcoat what he was trying to say, or play. It was hard-core, more than anything I had ever heard. After a few listenings I realized that, on some level, I had found the master, and that following this man's example would be my life's work.”
― Eric Clapton
------------------------------------------------

He is credited by many rock musicians as an important influence; Eric Clapton has called Johnson "the most important blues singer that ever lived
--------
Robert Johnson is today considered a master of the blues, particularly of the Delta blues style; Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones said in 1990, "You want to know how good the blues can get? Well, this is it
----------
Eric Clapton described Johnson's music as "the most powerful cry that I think you can find in the human voice." In two takes of "Me and the Devil Blues" he shows a high degree of precision in the complex vocal delivery of the last verse: "The range of tone he can pack into a few lines is astonishing.
----------------

When Keith Richards was first introduced to Johnson's music by his bandmate Brian Jones, he replied, "Who is the other guy playing with him?", not realizing it was Johnson playing on one guitar. "I was hearing two guitars, and it took a long time to actually realise he was doing it all by himself,"[83] said Richards, who would later add "Robert Johnson was like an orchestra all by himself
--------------

"As for his guitar technique, it's politely reedy but ambitiously eclectic—moving effortlessly from hen-picking and bottleneck slides to a full deck of chucka-chucka rhythm figures."

—Marc Myers, Wall Street Journal
-------------
Johnson's major influence has been on genres of music that weren’t recognized as such until long after his death: rock and roll and rock. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame included four of his songs in a set of 500[92] they deemed to have shaped the genre
--------------------------------

Johnson recorded these songs a decade and a half before the recognized advent of rock and roll,[93] dying a year or two later. The Museum inducted him as an “Early Influence” in their first induction ceremony in 1986, almost a half century after his death
-----------------------
Eric Clapton, founder and member of many legendary groups, considered Johnson "the most important blues musician who ever lived
-------------------------
Bob Dylan wrote of Johnson in his 2004 autobiography Chronicles: Volume One, "If I hadn't heard the Robert Johnson record when I did, there probably would have been hundreds of lines of mine that would have been shut down—that I wouldn't have felt free enough or upraised enough to write
----------------------
hey look. he made number 1 once. beating out the de facto boss of the list one jimi hendrix
In 1990 Spin magazine rated him 1st in its 35 Guitar Gods listing—on the 52nd anniversary of his death

see what im saying... its all about robert johnson.
-----------------------------

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Yeah, done a lot of reading about Johnson. No doubt the father of blues and a iconic innovator in music history. Legends like Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolfe were heavily influenced by Johnson along with about everyone thats picked up a guitar in almost a century, self included. He had his blues influences too, like Tommy Johnson and Willie Brown, all Delta Blues forefathers. It's interesting to me how influences of all likes effect the continual evolution of music. Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
He's good, but I don't think he's the next Hendrix. I don't think there will ever be another Hendrix. And I don't think we need another Hendrix, one was enough. Also a good musician is not measured by how many notes per second or how precisely he plays, but by his ability to get an emotional response from his audience. Music is art, and as such subject to personal opinion.

My 2c anyway, peace.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
What I look for in music is emotional content and "sloppy" is sometimes a major component of that emotional content...
When Electric guitarists sound too clean and neat I find it to be an incredible bore....

Ever since the first blues players....that dirty sound is an important part of the emotion in music.
This is why distortion is so fundamental.

Another thing is many people are under the impression that fast=good. This could not be further from the truth.

Actually speed is just a way that many guitarists make up for having a lack of emotion.

Music is my religion...and really music appreciation is a lot like spiritualism....some people are into it for deep altruistic reasons and some are in it for egoist reasons such as fashion or modern trends....

Val Halen is an excellent example of ego-driven music...
Jimi Hendrix is more about providing an emotional, ecstatic dynamic to the music, sort of like The Grateful Dead or Tool.
This type of music is meant to help people reach sublime states of shamanic ecstasy...something I doubt Van Halen fans are very interested in....

the subtle nuances of psychedelic music are completely lost on 90% of the population...

By the same token 90% of the population have no appreciation for beauty whatsoever and in fact most people seem to actually prefer ugliness.

edit on 981414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Of course how could I neglect to mention this man? forgive me Randy.
I'm sorry but this guy was IMO more talented than Eddie Van Halen or Yngwie Malmsteen

Hendrix at the top of his game.

this man needs no intro here he is channeling the spirit of Hendrix quite obviously...

One of the first best...

Excellent documentary about Robert Johnson surprise ending
Danny Glover Narrates...

edit on 991414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eliyahu

Another thing is many people are under the impression that fast=good. This could not be further from the truth.

i hope you are not addressing me because i never said that fast=good and i dont think it.
that said, i really enjoy listining to people like guthrie who can blaze and sometimes does.... i prefer that to someone like malmsteen who seems to blaze all the time.
ive been getting into paul gilbert a lot lately. he is another that has the ability to blaze and he certainly does. just not all the time.

im big on musicianship(for the most part)
my favorite guitarist is frank zappa. he was certainly not a fast player.

these days i get more into guthrie govan, paul gilbert.....they have the ability to play anything....i enjoy that

to go the other way though i love jack white. he is another of my favorites... he is not mr technical and he does not really blaze but i love the way he plays.

my tastes are all over. when i listen to 'instrumental rock' which i do a lot i want to hear the virtuosity coming out out of the speakers.

when im not listening to instrumental rock i am all over the map. ive got about 100 gigs of music and i go from vivaldi to the beatles to muddy waters to gang starr in 15 minutes on shuffle.
i love music but i cant help but get involved in the henrix talks.... it always happens to me.

its like watching a car accident or something. you dont really want to but you cant help it

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

'see what im saying... its all about robert johnson.'

he's way over-rated imo - you can't even hear what he's playing most of the time - just lots of random scratches bangs and buzzes

and those quotes you provided can't be trusted - the people were probably being polite so as not to harm their careers - people only rate robert johnson because he was black, from the deep south and sold his soul to the devil

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

originally posted by: Eliyahu

Soon the music of YHWH will be making a comeback...
the soundtrack for the apocalypse will appear..
Sooner than Later.

It's true.... here is one of YHWH's tracks here.

www.youtube.com...

Wo. My monitors were off, had to mix more left to get
Glen in the middle. These guys and C.Corpse are my go-
to's for dinner music. Thanks for that Blup.

Back to the thread, and Hendrix and Joe B... there was this
16 year old Dutch kid that got dragged into Spooky Tooth
because he Was that good. Grosvenor in the top ten, a lot of
feel for his age. Alternative: Jerry Miller/ Moby Grape?
And yes-- I AM older than Gary Oldman's imported dirt.

Although not road-young by the time Cream started, Clapton
really did take the blues out for a couple of occasional, life
threatening injections. Still my all around player favorite.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

'see what im saying... its all about robert johnson.'

he's way over-rated imo - you can't even hear what he's playing most of the time - just lots of random scratches bangs and buzzes

and those quotes you provided can't be trusted - the people were probably being polite so as not to harm their careers - people only rate robert johnson because he was black, from the deep south and sold his soul to the devil

hahahaah....
nice play my friend

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

only kidding - rj is a true great - i was a huge fan of his before i was into hendrix

everybody can have their favourites but in reality there is obviously no best or worst, or even better or worse

just lots of great musicians doing their best and hoping somebody likes it

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

only kidding - rj is a true great - i was a huge fan of his before i was into hendrix

everybody can have their favourites but in reality there is obviously no best or worst, or even better or worse

just lots of great musicians doing their best and hoping somebody likes it

i agree.
when it comes to the hendrix talks though i get sucked in.

its all good man. its about music
any music is better than no music

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Talented guy. No doubt about it. But he's not at Van Halen or Hendrix level. Those two are in a class all their own. And yes, Van Halen is more innovative and more talented than Hendrix IMHO

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Robert Johnson Wrote a Note To Yeshua on his death bead..

^^^it shows his deathbed note on this grave stone....
it says:
"Jesus of Nazareth, King of Jerusalem.
I know that my Redeemer liveth and that
He will call me from the Grave."

And BTW my guitar speed comment was not directed at you CardiffGiant

edit on 9101414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
just cause he is not the balls right now dont mean he wont be in 5 years.
these are the types of musicians to watch and follow. you know, still coming up. still finding out where they fit.

EXACTLY man. That's what I meant by 'the next Hendrix?'. I didn't literally mean the next Hendrix, I meant it metaphorically. In reality he's nothing like Hendrix. He has far more in common with Prince than Hendrix (music-wise). But guitar-wise, he's got that gift man. It's like an extension of his body and soul when he hits those solos, he doesn't miss a note. I don't think I've ever heard him screw up (though I'm sure he has - I just haven't noticed it yet). Maybe you guys need to see him do his thing live in order to fully appreciate what this guy does. I admit his studio stuff is lacking in mind-blowing originality, but the guy has it, I promise you. How much of 'it' he has, and what he does with it from here is anyone's guess.

But if you're just gonna judge new music based on historical precedents, then why listen to new music at all? Of course he's not a guitar hero yet, and of course he's lacking in total originality - the guy's 21 years old and still recording in his amateur home studio. He's barely even released his first CD, which incidentally has received high praise from many credible old-school musicians. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. But then I'd rather be easily impressed than not impressed at all by a young musician like this. I mean what the hell do you guys expect? Where do you think great musicians come from? Do you think they're just born and come out of the womb immediately able to shred the guitar til your eyes bleed?

I'm a musician and an audio engineer, I critically listen to all kinds of music all day everyday. But I didn't come here to critically debate music from past eras (nothing could disinterest me more). But thanks for listening to the guy at least. Regardless of how he compares to past artists, I still think he deserves an opportunity to be heard, especially while he finds his feet as a musician. People are hard to impress these days. They want originality, but then when a new artist appears they're quick to shoot them down for not being more like the laundry list of other artists that they like (usually artists who have already made a name for themselves and no longer need the support).

I don't get it, but that's alright. Each to their own. I'm not bothered by it. I just wish people could be more open-minded about music these days and stop treating it like sport. People are either obsessed with modern generic mega-pop garbage or still hung up on the glory days. Whatever happened to listening to music just because you dug it? I regret hyping him up so much in my OP, but I posted this just minutes after discovering the guy so I was pretty excited. Now that the first impression has worn off I acknowledge his shortcomings, but I still don't understand the unreasonable expectations everyone here has. Were any of you playing guitar that well at 21? Because I've played guitar since I was old enough to hold one and I'm still nowhere near that talented, and I practiced my ass off several hours a day for several years (eventually resulting in RSI injury that left me in chronic pain and unable to play anymore). So to see a kid like this shredding the guitar so effortlessly caught my eye. Maybe you guys have all seen it before, but I was pretty impressed by his talent. I don't necessarily love the music, but I love his style & approach to playing. To me it is original, but again, maybe I'm just easily impressed. Oh well.

Anyway it's 3am here and I'm too tired to rant any longer. I really don't care that much, I just thought he was worth the time to share with you guys. I wasn't trying to prove anything, I have no interest in that side of music culture. Have fun with the discussion, I'm out.

Peace & Love

edit on 13/5/2015 by TheAnarchist because: ~

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join