It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas pastor demands public library ‘purge’ vampire books: I think it’s dangerous for kids

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A Texas pastor is leading a campaign to have books about vampires pulled from Cleveland’s public library.

Phillip Missick and other religious leaders have called on the Austin Memorial Library to remove books about vampires, demons and other magical beings from the teen section.

“This is dark. There’s a sexual element. You have creatures that aren’t human. I think it’s dangerous for our kids,” Missick, a pastor at King of Saints Tabernacle of Cleveland, told KTRK.

Pastor Missick needs to remember that to make a subject incredibility attractive; censor it. And apparently the Rev. dosen't think that the www. is available with the subjects he wants to censor in the public library.

imo...it's just an attempt at control and censorship by the Christian Conservative Right; not really aimed at protecting the youth; eventually controlling the content of even.......gasp.....ATS...........and even......gasp, gasp....the entire web.

Missick is circulating a petition that requests that the “occultic and demonic room be shut down, and these books be purged from the shelves, and that public funds would no longer be used to purchase such material, or at least require parents to check them out for their children,” according to the Cleveland Advocate.

He claims there are 75 books in the library that deal with the occult, including the Twilight series.

edit on 2-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There goes Harry Potter. And Buffy. Buffity, it's been good to know ya.

When they came for the vampires, we did nothing. When they came for the werewolves, we did nothing. Then, when they came for the vegans, we sat and ate Rice Dream and did nothing. Where will it end (i.e. "Power couple" The Incredible Hulk and Little Bo Peep).
edit on 2-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So he's going after fantasy books about mythical creatures...

Does this mean all of the Bibles and other religious texts will be removed too?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Only ban Twilight please. No really, I'm all for those not being banned, because what's next? A repeat of what we've seen in the seventies and eighties: Let's ban role playing games to stop those damned witches!

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i agree with this pastor! we should get rid of all books that could potentially harm children! let us ban this book from all libraries, okay? inside, this book, a man gets drunk and rapes his two daughters. a bunch of cousins get down with each other. a man watches a woman wash her self on a roof. he then sends her husband to the front lines to have him killed so he can seduce her. another man doesn't want to get his brother's widow pregnant so he spills it on the ground. another passage exhorts men to glorify their wives breasts! a woman performs a strip tease for her step father and in return, she receives a man's head on a silver platter. there also many, many violent massacres and murders in this book too! how can we allow this book into our libraries and corrupt our children. wonder which book this is?

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Never take away fantasy from a child. I can't tell you how many years I have spent losing myself in the pages of a great fantasy book and it all started when I was a child.

A child has to have mental problems of some sort to allow a certain kind of book or music or movie influence them enough to do harm.

The book isn't the damned problem!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
OH BOY! It's time for an old fashioned book burning! Let's burn all those books that no one is reading anymore since we all have the internet (and book reading apps). because they are corrupting our youth (of yesteryear). Man this pastor really has a finger on the pulse of what youths like these days doesn't he?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Pathetic.

There are some things I would like to say to this pastor fellow.

Dear barer of false witness,

As a Christian, I might be expected to be down with all this anti-occult BS, but rest assured, in truth, BS is what it is. The surest mark of a weak faith, is to be unable to even look upon works which contain markers from alternative cultures and faiths, without breaking out in a cold sweat, because one is overcome by "the visible effects of the spiritual war happening right now in this room".

YOU GUTLESS BLOODY PHILISTINE! CRETIN, WEASEL, AND COWARD!

When... not if, WHEN the end of days comes, and the world is beset by creatures so horrible that to look upon them drives mortals insane, and when it is your turn to meet these nightmares head on, you had better show more nerve than you show in your witless, inane, asinine protest against what are little more than fairy tales. You have obviously lived an entirely unenviable life, free of problem, pain or sacrifice, if you can continue to believe that fantasy stories are an important enough topic to get angry about, let alone represent any real threat to the souls of mortal human beings.

It is ignorance and spinelessness of this nature which give people the impression that the faith you claim to share in common with me, is singularly held by intellectually stunted filth, with all the vertebral fortitude of a can of silly string, and I have had just about enough of it. If you want to make yourself look like an incompetent, fear driven, insignificant streak of grime, then that is your affair, but if you do it in the name of God, you and I are going to have serious, and I mean intracranial bleeding serious, problems.

So ends my open letter style response to this gormless halfwit of a pastor, and his lack of valour.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
OH BOY! It's time for an old fashioned book burning! Let's burn all those books that no one is reading anymore since we all have the internet (and book reading apps). because they are corrupting our youth (of yesteryear). Man this pastor really has a finger on the pulse of what youths like these days doesn't he?

Reminds me of a Right Wing theological " Fahrenheit 451"

www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Why doesn't that Pastor mind his own damn business. I don't push anything on him and wont stand for him pushing his version of morality on me or mine.

edit on 2-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Yea, I agree, I read the book many years ago. It is a classic.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Libraries already have banned book month. Where they celebrate having all the books back that people like this fool had taken away.

I want to say this will never happen again, unfortunately we have the Bible belt full of Bible thumpers.

ETA : I discovered a few years ago private book stores can and do refuse to order books. I was in a used book store and a man was very grateful they ordered him a book when the new bookstore up the street wouldn't.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I looked up Cleveland Texas. That's where this fella is, right?
Cleveland Texas Wiki
The town has about 8,000 people.
How big could the library actually be?
How many copies of Twilight could a town have in a library that size anyways?
It's probably a spare room somewhere and the size of my living room.
Side note - About 40% of the 8,000 people in town are under the age of 25.

If the kids want the books they'll find a Barnes and Nobles in the next town over and get the books themselves anyways.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Cuckoo cuckoo
Is it hot in texas or is that pastor just nuts?
Wow

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What's the betting that this pastor hasn't actually read any of the books and has no real idea what they're really about?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
What's the betting that this pastor hasn't actually read any of the books and has no real idea what they're really about?

If he saw the Twilight movies he might change his mind. The popularity of the starring emotionless actress may convince him that there is no God, and that all is a vast wasteland populated by girls who can't act.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Perhaps he is right in a strange way. The world is going to hell in a hand cart whilst our chidren are being spoonfed the supernatural. The bible would be first on my list, followed quickly by the koran.

I wonder how much damage we do to ourselves as a species when we fill our childrens heads, not just with religion but the whole fairytale spectacular. We can see on childrens TV, not only all sorts of supernatural themes but how they progress as children grow.

We also invent the tooth fairy, santa and such like...it is as though we are conditioning ourselves in some way. Of course we grow up and realise the truth of such things but so much of that is left embedded in our psyche. We are surrounded by fantasy.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I say we pull Texas pastors from the public. Any views religious based must be done in their church.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

So you think that because the world is screwed up, kids shouldn't be allowed to have an imagination and believe things while they are growing up that turn out not to be true? Protip: the world has ALWAYS been screwed up. People are assholes, and it has nothing to do with content they were exposed to as a child. Assholes will be assholes that is no different 2000 years ago then it is today.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Someones pathetic crusade. I guess they better start banning the bible, since there is dark, scary reading in revelations. I mean Come On this guy is bonkers

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join