It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will using humor to defuse fears of the Islamic State lead to false sense of protection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

"Television networks across the Middle East have begun airing cartoons and comedy programs using satire to criticize the group and its claim of representing Islam"

Will this lead to a generation of people ignorant to the evilness of groups like the Islamic State?

edit on E14America/Chicago09399 by Eyemin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Eyemin

Did humor lessen the importance of concerns about Hitler?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I use humor to defuse fear all the time. Thats what laughter is for. Gives us balance. Far sight better than my used to be alternative…

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"Did humor lessen the importance of concerns about Hitler?" Hitler was able to start taking pieces of other counties and nobody cared.

Misunderstanding the enemy IMO is a great weakness. Look at the general consensus in America of the Vietcong solider. That only add to the difficulty of the war.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Making fun of your enemy and/or portraying them as buffoons is as old as warfare. It does no harm and is good for morale.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
In a lot of cases TPTB use humor to mellow people to ideas and threats. Instead of actually creating the conditions for intelligent debate they make a joke out of it.

Conspiracy theorists? Obviously crazy tinfoil hat fans.

It's a tool to calm people down and to downplay fear. S + F

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eyemin

"Television networks across the Middle East have begun airing cartoons and comedy programs using satire to criticize the group and its claim of representing Islam"

Will this lead to a generation of people ignorant to the evilness of groups like the Islamic State?

I wouldn't think so, people in the Middle East countries already know some first hand, of what the IS is doing.
They will also know the philosophy of a nutjob who died over two hundred years ago is the same thing as IS.
Those who might be ignorant will be Westerners, and there are supposedly sizable numbers from Europe and the US in the Middle East with IS, but you don't actually say who/what lead generation you are referring to, a bit of a trick question IMHO.
The only thing I agree with your thread and post is the evil bit. Since the now so called IS, (after various name changes) is already tainted it's own dubious philosophy by gathering trophy's like gold, money, guns and posessions, I can understand well why any other Islamic peoples would see the irony.
After that then ask yourself the question, who is the IS?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Making fun of your enemy and/or portraying them as buffoons is as old as warfare. It does no harm and is good for morale.

That's is true, but since we don't actually know the rationale proper here for the cartoons the humour might more directed toward the idea of IS being anything but Islamic.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Let them laugh and ridicule these imposters. I think we should treat all terrorist threats this way. We give too much importance to these idiots. We adapt our society around terrorist which is mistake number 1.

We should not change our ways because a few threw a tantrum. Any government agent can be trained and then deployed as a muslim, catholic, jewish or "fill in the blank" terrorist, those traitors will cause harm and then the government can say: "See we must all do this to be safe." "We must search all luggage, if someone resists he is guilty." "We must chip everyone."

So making a cartoon about ISIS is appropriate, that is how they started, on a drawing board.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
We give too much importance to these idiots.

Mass murder, mass rape, enslavement, stealing children, stealing land, destroying property, destroying ancient treasures and cultures, growing in number and power, causing mass numbers of people to starve, no one stopping them .... I'd say that's a pretty darn important current event. The people who watched their children have their heads chopped off would disagree with the dismissal of the importance of ISIS.

That being said, the OP asks a good question. Mocking the enemy is a time honored tradition. I don't think it will lessen the importance of how people see the situation. Over there it's pretty much 'in your face'. Death and war everywhere. Mocking the SOBs who are doing these things is just fine. I say ... mock away!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I think it is another way to defeat an enemy be it a NWO Hoax or a real group of jihadists really trying to ruin the world for the rest of us sane (okay, okay, semi-sane) people out there.

My SO linked me to this video of a sitcom called "State of Superstition" and it's made by moderate Muslims who see the fear this group is creating as just as much of a threat as the violence they are inflicting upon the populace.

This was aired on a show called "7:30" on ABC in Australia: Islamic State like you've never seen them before. I was about to create a whole post for this but your post OP, is the perfect place for it to reside.

It's laugh or cry and I don't much like crying and not to mention the old adage, "pen is mightier than the sword"; maybe this will slowly bring them down, or at least decrease the number of young people being radicalised.

jolly
edit on 10/10/2014 by comfortablynumb because: Grammar and added one more point.

edit on 10/10/2014 by comfortablynumb because: Edited the name of the show.

top topics

join