It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Stunning Nighttime Skies By Matt Payne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I wanted to share these absolutely stunning long exposure photos from Matt Payne. Many of us live in areas that will prevent us from seeing as many stars in the sky as we can see it in these photos. Myself included. I am hoping to change that one say before I leave this earth.

Anytime I look at photos like these, I can't help but realize how small I really am in the grand scheme of things. It automatically brings out the meditator, the philosopher, and the child in me all at the same time.

There's really no match for the beauty that surrounds us daily even though we often forget to pause momentarily and simply... look up.

So take a minute and look up the next time you are outside.

Oregon-based photographer Matt Payne's passion for the outdoors shines through in his stunning landscape and nightscape photography. He finds the most enchanting moments in which vibrant colors and lively motion overhead complement the stillness of the world below.

Payne uses long exposures and composites to illuminate the dark night skies and to capture the motion of the stars in visually stunning compositions. His work encourages viewers to stop and take a moment to appreciate the natural wonders of our world in ways that can't be captured with the naked eye.

"Through wilderness exploration I have developed a unique vision for the otherwise mundane in our day-to-day life," explains Payne. "My hope is that my life-long passion for the wilderness and exploration will continue to bring me to some of the world’s most amazing places so I can continue to share my vision of those places with the world."

You can read/see more here -
www.mymodernmet.com...

I also looked up Max Payne's personal website here -
www.mattpaynephotography.com...

There are a ton more images to see with both links. I would love to have those nighttime skies painted on the ceiling in my bedroom. It's calming and surreal.

edit on 8/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
beautiful

I'm sad that it's only visible like that through a camera, would be amazing to see it with the naked eye.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
beautiful

I'm sad that it's only visible like that through a camera, would be amazing to see it with the naked eye.

I couldn't agree more! I live in an area with so much light pollution, that I don't get to see nearly a quarter of what a lot of folks get to. I hope to rectify that one day. It would almost be a sin to not at least attempt it at any rate.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

beautiful

I couldn't agree more! I live in an area with so much light pollution, that I don't get to see nearly a quarter of what a lot of folks get to. I hope to rectify that one day. It would almost be a sin to not at least attempt it at any rate.

You will never see it like this, the human eye is not capable of it, even without light pollution.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

beautiful

You will never see it like this, the human eye is not capable of it, even without light pollution.

I know. I will have to go back and rephrase that. I know I will never see the movement (streaking) created by the long exposure, I meant just more stars. I am lucky if I can see the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper most nights. Other folks can post natural photos and they are able to capture many more stars than I have ever seen in person. I think it's amazing that light pollution can have that big of an affect.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

beautiful

I know. I will have to go back and rephrase that. I know I will never see the movement (streaking) created by the long exposure, I meant just more stars. I am lucky if I can see the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper most nights. Other folks can post natural photos and they are able to capture many more stars than I have ever seen in person. I think it's amazing that light pollution can have that big of an affect.

I agree, I feel I have been robbed. It's a very real sense of loss for me.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

beautiful

Indeed. I know that feeling. Before I became a member here, I had no idea that even happened. I didn't miss it until I knew I was supposed to have it.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I miss the days i was a sailor, just laying in complete darkness on Monkey island ( Top of steering house ) enjoying the view of the night sky, no light pollution whats so ever.

Mmmmm those days....

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

beautiful

Indeed. I know that feeling. Before I became a member here, I had no idea that even happened. I didn't miss it until I knew I was supposed to have it.

Ignorance can indeed be bliss.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Nice a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

beautiful

Ignorance can indeed be bliss.

It definitely can be OR.

originally posted by: kmd026
Nice a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm glad you liked it.

I miss the days i was a sailor, just laying in complete darkness on Monkey island ( Top of steering house ) enjoying the view of the night sky, no light pollution whats so ever.

Mmmmm those days....

I guess you do miss it. Think about those that have never seen it!!

Is there a big difference where you are now in the amount of stars you can see? I'll never forget asking how someone got their picture to look like that, and they said it looked like that every night where they were. I was amazed by that. I just always assumed that what I saw was the way it was everywhere. Naive I know...

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Oh my gawd, I see several photos on his site that I'd love to have on my walls. Bookmarking this guy, I'm buying some of these when we can put the cash towards them in the future

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Oh my gawd, I see several photos on his site that I'd love to have on my walls. Bookmarking this guy, I'm buying some of these when we can put the cash towards them in the future

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I wish I had the money to do a mural of sorts like this in my bedroom. It would be even more awesome if you could get a million tiny LEDs wired into the walls and ceilings so when you turned off the overhead lights you would be surrounded by your own starry skies!!

If you had the money to actually do something like that it would be mind blowing to say the least. His pictures are high, but they are beautiful indeed!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing my photos and linking to my website, really appreciate it!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: mattpayne11

Oh!! Wow!

Welcome to ATS.

I would like to thank you for sharing them with the world.

As I said above... Many of us will never see anything close to what you are able to capture, so sharing your pictures allows everyone to take in the beauty that surrounds us even if it is obscured for most of us.

I am not alone when I say that I am in awe of your work sir. You've certainly got a gift and should be proud that you are not wasting it. Your images are truly beautiful.

I thank you for taking the time to respond here as well.

May you continue to be successful and capture those moments in time that will be preserved and cherished for all time.
edit on 8/30/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Wow...

Stunning doesn't even begin to describe these photos.

My favourites are the nightscapes and the Pacific Northwest photos. The former leaves me feeling serene and in awe, and the latter leaves me feeling revived and refreshed.

Makes me want to load up the backpack and go for a stroll...

What a dream career !

Unfortunately, every starving artist has to earn a living providing the humdrum services of wedding photography and glamour shots. As beautiful as these may be, it's obvious his true passion is capturing the essence of mother nature.

Thanks for the link, K4E !

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

You're more than welcome CS! I'm glad you enjoyed them. They do certainly make you want to go outside in search of more don't they?

It's surprising how much vastness can be captured in one photo.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The work is top notch.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The work is top notch.

Indeed! I was/am flattered that Mr. Payne took the time to sign up and comment here. His work definitely speaks for itself, but it was nice to "see" him "speak" as well.

new topics

top topics

join