It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Buying Up Expired American Domains?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I've been a long time user of the social bookmarking service Delicious.com. I've had an account with them and have been collecting bookmarks since 2006. Recently, I've had some issues and started the arduous task yesterday of moving my bookmarks to Google and another service called Draggo.com.

I suppose I could have taken the easy route and probably exported a spreadsheet and called it done, but instead I have been going through and removing 404 links, older info, and things I just don't need anymore. In doing so, I have come across no less than probably 10 of these old links that have been bought up by what appears to be Chinese hosts.

Here is one example: www.naiwmc.org

EDIT: Removed link because the page is now apparently about sex toys. I didn't bother to translate. Thanks Indigent.

Previously, this page was the North American Interstate Weather Modification Council homepage. It is coincidental that this happens to be from my Weather Modification tag. I will edit with more links as I come to them. It's just been too many to ignore any further. I wonder why this is? Anyone else seen this?

FAQ
Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
edit on 27-8-2014 by glitchinthematrix because: Removed link to NSFW content.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
umm well first that page is Japanese and well its about sex toys?

The new page exist since 2013, the domain was for sale in 2012 maybe the gob was counting on the end of the world that year and wanted to make a few buck?
web.archive.org...://www.naiwmc.org/

Google translate
edit on 27-8-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2014 by Indigent because: link dont like to work

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
China is just getting its ducks in a row. We still don't have a clue as to what their end game is yet. The Hopi's say that the end of the world will be brought by those who were first given the light. Problem is, we don't even know exactly who that is either. It is speculated China, but could be their allies too. In any accord, they are just ensuring enough of a power play across the board so when America is at its weakest, they can implement the tactics of Sun Zu and get it in.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

LOL Oh geez, I didn't bother to translate it. I'll edit and unlink. Thanks for the info!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I wouldn't blame the Chinese directly for this. Sometimes people forget to renew domains and they get picked up by squatters and/or others who get them on the cheap end when they expire.

The domains have great SEO value and are repurposed to a new site, or rebuilt to try and preserve the old site's ranking value, used to increase the google search ranks on sites.

It's not just the Chinese who do this, but about everyone else on the planet who knows how e-commerce works.

Too bad the bookmark of yours was managed by an agency who couldn't manage itself.

Also, the domain has been to acquired by a Japanese, and not Chinese... People are often confused for some reason.

[Whois] on that domain..
edit on 27-8-2014 by Philippines because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I missed the sex toys!

I thought reading threads from 2 yrs ago was irritating. This time just a few hours and I missed the fun.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
That's the hazard of searching for an unused domain with certain registration companies. Sometimes, you'll look up a website name, see that it is available, go around looking for your wallet, come back, and find some schmuck has auto-registered it.

new topics

top topics

join