It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military’s experimental hypersonic weapon explodes seconds after launch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It must be the season for exploding rockets: The US Army’s experimental Advanced Hypersonic Weapon, which will eventually be able to bomb anywhere in the world within an hour, exploded just four seconds after launch in Alaska. Similar to last week’s self-detonating SpaceX rocket, the US Department of Defense detected an error within the system shortly after launch, and thus decided to detonate the entire thing rather than risk any extra collateral damage. No one was injured by the incident, though falling debris did damage the rocket’s Kodiak Launch Complex.

US military’s experimental hypersonic weapon explodes seconds after launch

Just thought i would bring this article to the attention of my fellow ATS members.
edit on 26-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
As usual, these things don't seem to work as they are supposed to.

They seem to work well on paper though. I wonder how much the contractor has got paid for this lemon technology and whether it will ever work properly.

Maybe it is made by the company that makes our missile defense system which also doesn't work reliably. But we are still getting those missiles for the missile defense system. I think the missiles may get side tracked by geese, the developer was probably a goose hunter. If we need the defense system, our goose is cooked.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I wonder...are all of these failures intentional? An attempt to mislead the rest of the world? Or is it just what it appears...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Probably blew up the prototype just because it was old hat.

better things are in the air now.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Would you care to buy a time share for a condo on the moon? They are having a little problem with the water in the outdoor swimming pool but that should be fixed by next year.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The more complex a thing is the more likely it is to fail.

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid.

In the land of advanced scientific exceptionalism the thing must be made as complex (and as expensive) as our ego permits.

Gee, look at al those bells and whistles… and the cost! Must be a humdinger of a weapon, huh?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
I wonder...are all of these failures intentional? An attempt to mislead the rest of the world? Or is it just what it appears...

Or a possible show of power...that explosion looks intense. I wonder if there's any radioactive fallout?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
As usual, these things don't seem to work as they are supposed to.

They seem to work well on paper though. I wonder how much the contractor has got paid for this lemon technology and whether it will ever work properly.

Maybe it is made by the company that makes our missile defense system which also doesn't work reliably. But we are still getting those missiles for the missile defense system. I think the missiles may get side tracked by geese, the developer was probably a goose hunter. If we need the defense system, our goose is cooked.

The first generation of cars and steam engines were like that as well. Every inventor had their own ideas of how to improve the combustion ratio. Sometimes they would succeed, and then realize they needed a stronger boiler or engine block, if they weren't killed.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Probably blew up the prototype just because it was old hat.

better things are in the air now.[/quot

I have to agree. lets see pics of the TR3B.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jenisiz

originally posted by: the owlbear

Or a possible show of power...that explosion looks intense. I wonder if there's any radioactive fallout?

rockets are old school. Seeing the lightning in the pic. I would immagine that maybe someone forgot to install a static electric ground in the back of the plane since it travels at high speed. Maybe the static electricity made the fuel ignite. AND BOOOOOM. Lets get out the marshmellows. mmmm mmmm. Another drone down. Drone hawk down. Don't forget to install the static electric ground next time.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The moon would mess with my allergies.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That response was out of this world

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A lot of taxpayer money wasted right there. Why don't TPTB work on stuff that will better all of humanity instead of weapons of death?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Was this responsible for the strange light seen and photographed from that airliner?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is That Pool Heated Ricky? I'm sure there are some takers (Oligarch Types) who'd Love To Have One, they seem to own everything else
Peace, Arjunanda a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

That is actually a good question. One I don't have the answer to.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u

rockets are old school. Seeing the lightning in the pic. I would immagine that maybe someone forgot to install a static electric ground in the back of the plane since it travels at high speed. Maybe the static electricity made the fuel ignite. AND BOOOOOM. Lets get out the marshmellows. mmmm mmmm. Another drone down. Drone hawk down. Don't forget to install the static electric ground next time.

The title here is quite misleading.

It didn't explode. The launch/launch vehicle were terminated around the 4 second mark. They blew it up intentionally.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Allergies aren't a problem if there is no air.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

Sounds a whole lot more like they know what there doing if they say the vehicle initiated its own auto destruct. In any case i imagine a controlled explosion of sorts is better than the thing going haywire and possibly injuring some poor civilians not to mention giving away any technology they may wish to keep underwraps.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

the detonatin could have been either manual or integrated intot eh systems.

i.e.
if yaw exceeds, if attitude exceeds, if solid fuel expenditure exceeds... initiate auto-destruct sequence 4 - like

??

could have been any number of things we'll likely never be made aware of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join