It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola's Cytokine Storm: Protect Yourself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Like bird flu, Ebola kills with a cytokine storm - by pushing healthy immune systems into hyperdrive - and making your body kill itself.

….The terminal phase of Ebola is the “cytokine storm,” which occurs when the immune system begins attacking every organ in the body, bursting blood vessels and making the infected person bleed both internally and externally, through the eyes, vomit, and diarrhea.

Into the Eye of the Cytokine Storm

SELF-DEFENSE

1. Do NOT "boost your immune system" - you'll just fuel the virus.

2. DO pig out on anti-inflammatories - the virus hijacks the immune system in a way that causes out-of-control inflammation - you need to stop the inflammation, not promote it with immune supports.

GREAT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SPICES & HERBS

Use these as much as you can, wherever and whenever:

Turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, clove, basil, cardamom, chamomile, celery seed, cilantro, fennel seeds, parsley, nutmeg, rosemary, dark chocolate/cocoa

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET & PYRAMID

….also consider ice baths for high fever.

Here's a good Ebola overview (sometimes hard to read but worth the effort).

Ebola Virus Pathogenesis: Implications for Vaccines and Therapies

Also note: Most pandemic chronic diseases involve inflammation - so anti-inflammatories help most everything these days.

edit on 22/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I had to save that picture. As a vegan I can eat all of it! That never happens!

Great advise for everyday illnesses as well.

:-( I just noticed the fish...
edit on 22-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Excellent Thread Soficrow.

Building your immune system chemicals above a certain point is done by many people. They think it is good to do this. Since our immune system is what usually kills us, not the virus, it is not good to supply it with fuel as you say.

I like your choices of anti-inflammatory herbs and spices. Cammomile can cause a little problem with those who have the rag weed allergy though. Cilantro can free heavy metals from bone if over consumed also, causing problems if you just start introducing consumption at a high rate. The body has to be able to clear the metals out of the body, if the cilantro does not stimulate you to pee more, then it can cause problems. Lots of water needs to be drank with some of the things that do this.

I still have to look at your links. good job showing people how to increase their chances of survival.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
When I had to deal with a cytokine storm (not due to Ebola), I found through trial and a lot of error that L-acetylcysteine and especially vitamin D3 worked miraculously. Took nearly 4 months of drowning in secretions and non-stop coughing before I hit on that magic combo but the results were a blessed relief.

Flu season is almost upon us so I'll be keeping this excellent list of easily obtained anti-inflammatories handy. Thanks for providing it!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Excellent! Thank you for this information! SnF!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Your post seems to imply that you think people should try to fight Ebola on their own instead of going to a hospital if for some odd reason they would get Ebola.

Ice baths? Really?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That food diagram is applicable for general healthy eating and many of the foods on there are naturally good for the immune system. For example, garlic and turmeric are antibiotic, carrots are antiseptic.

Most natural anti inflammatories are naturally also good for the immune system and good for defending against disease generally.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Thank you soficrow
will remain aware...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

Your post seems to imply that you think people should try to fight Ebola on their own instead of going to a hospital if for some odd reason they would get Ebola.

Ice baths? Really?

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that at all - the focus is meant to be preventative (and also, to mitigate the misinformation provided in a previous thread on cytokine storms that promotes immune boosters).

However, now that you mention it. If Ebola were to go pandemic and come here (which I doubt it will and hope it won't), then we very well may find ourselves on our own. At best. At worst, we may find ourselves behind quarantine barricades manned by armed guards, trapped with diagnosed Ebola patients with no hope of escaping exposure. Just like what's happening in West Africa right now.

Unlike West Africa, we DO have healthcare infrastructure - and most likely, if a few Ebola cases hit our shores, there would be little problem stopping it in its tracks. But speaking honestly, our systems are not designed to withstand any full-fledged pandemic. Everything would be overwhelmed - not just our hospitals and healthcare.

So having a bit of knowledge - and a properly stocked emergency supply kit - is a good and smart thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is great. Thank you so much for putting this all together. I've saved the links. I eat, and use most of these things already.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

So would humera be good in fighting Ebola then?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

As a matter of course, I caution against synthetic drugs. No doubt off-label use for everything from statins to humira will continue to be promoted for cytokine storms. But...

imho -

Here's a quick overview of Humira's common, rare, severe and less severe side effects. Especially note the 'cytokine storm' symptoms like: "Vasculitis - Severe," " Heart Failure - Severe," "Increased Antibody Proteins in the Blood - Severe," "Accumulation of Ketones from Abnormal Metabolism - Severe" and more, as well as a whole bunch of other things you do NOT wish to bring upon yourself.

HUMIRA SUBCUTANEOUS

Common side effects of Humira subcutaneous:

Acute Infection of the Nose, Throat or SinusSevere
Bacterial Infection of Blood or Tissues affecting the Whole BodySevere
CellulitisSevere
Extreme Loss of Body WaterSevere
FeverSevere
InfectionSevere
Lupus-Like SyndromeSevere
RashSevere
Feel Like Throwing UpLess Severe
Head PainLess Severe
Signs and Symptoms at Injection SiteLess Severe
Sinus Irritation and CongestionLess Severe
Stomach CrampsLess Severe

Infrequent side effects of Humira subcutaneous:

A Malignant Pigmented Mole or TumorSevere
Abnormal Heart RhythmSevere
Abnormal Increase in Red Blood CellsSevere
Accumulation of Blood in Subdural Space Under Skull BoneSevere
Accumulation of Ketones from Abnormal MetabolismSevere
Acquired Increase of Red Blood CellsSevere
AsthmaSevere
Atrial FibrillationSevere
Bacterial Infection of the Kidney and Renal PelvisSevere
Bleeding of the Stomach or IntestinesSevere
Breast CancerSevere
Broken BoneSevere
BronchospasmSevere
CataractsSevere
Chest PainSevere
Chronic Heart FailureSevere
Complete Stoppage of the HeartSevere
Decreased Function of the Parathyroid GlandSevere
Decreased White Blood CellsSevere
Deficiency of Granulocytes a Type of White Blood CellSevere
Extremely High Blood PressureSevere
Fast HeartbeatSevere
Feeling FaintSevere
Fluid in the Covering of the Heart or PericardiumSevere
Fluid Retention in the Legs, Feet, Arms or HandsSevere
Flu-Like SymptomsSevere
Formation of Blood Clots in the Leg VeinsSevere
GallstonesSevere
Heart AttackSevere
Heart Throbbing or PoundingSevere
High Blood PressureSevere
Increased Antibody Proteins in the BloodSevere
Infection caused by a FungusSevere
Inflammation of the BladderSevere
Inflammation of the Covering of the Heart or PericardiumSevere
Kidney StoneSevere
Liver Tissue DeathSevere
Malignant LymphomaSevere
Multiple SclerosisSevere
PneumoniaSevere
Reactivated TuberculosisSevere
Red Lesions of Skin caused by Group A StreptococcusSevere
ShinglesSevere
Trouble BreathingSevere
Tumor of the SkinSevere
Urinary Tract InfectionSevere
ArthritisLess Severe
BackacheLess Severe
Bacteria causing an Infection in the JointsLess Severe
Bloody UrineLess Severe
Bone DiseaseLess Severe
ConfusedLess Severe
CrampsLess Severe
Escape of Fluid into the LungsLess Severe
High Amount of Fats in the BloodLess Severe
High CholesterolLess Severe
Impaired Wound HealingLess Severe
Inflammation of the EsophagusLess Severe
Inflammation of the Lining of a JointLess Severe
Inflammation of the Lining of the Stomach and IntestinesLess Severe
Involuntary QuiveringLess Severe
Irregular PeriodsLess Severe
Muscle WeaknessLess Severe
Numbness and TinglingLess Severe
Pain in Arms or LegsLess Severe
Pelvic PainLess Severe
Throwing UpLess Severe

Rare side effects of Humira subcutaneous:

A Fungal Infection that Occurs Under Certain CircumstancesSevere
Abnormal Liver Function TestsSevere
Acquired Decrease of All Cells in the BloodSevere
Active TuberculosisSevere
AppendicitisSevere
Blood Clot in a Deep VeinSevere
Blood Clot in LungSevere
Decreased Blood PlateletsSevere
Demyelinating DiseaseSevere
DiverticulitisSevere
Drug Therapy that Worsens or Flares PsoriasisSevere
Erythema MultiformeSevere
Giant HivesSevere
Guillain-Barre SyndromeSevere
Heart FailureSevere
Hepatosplenic T-cell LymphomaSevere
Hole in the IntestineSevere
Infection caused by a Protozoa OrganismSevere
Infection caused by Blastomyces Dermatitidis FungusSevere
Infection caused by Coccidioides FungusSevere
Infection caused by the Bacteria Listeria MonocytogenesSevere
Inflammation of Blood Vessels in the SkinSevere
Inflammation of the GallbladderSevere
Legionnaire's DiseaseSevere
LeukemiaSevere
Life Threatening Allergic ReactionSevere
Liver FailureSevere
Low Blood Counts due to Bone Marrow FailureSevere
Lung FibrosisSevere
Malignant Tumor or CancerSevere
PancreatitisSevere
Reaction due to an AllergySevere
Relapse of Hepatitis B Infection SymptomsSevere
SarcoidosisSevere
Stevens-Johnson SyndromeSevere
StrokeSevere
Sudden Blindness and Pain Upon Moving the EyeSevere
Type of Infection caused by Histoplasmosis FungusSevere
VasculitisSevere
Worsening of Chronic Heart FailureSevere
Hair LossLess Severe

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Remember - the absolute WORST thing you can do with a cytokine storm is boost your cytokine production by boosting your immune system. Really bad move.

edit on 22/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This same fear was present with the H1N1 scare and the H5N1 bird flu freak-out. It was interesting to see that ascorbic acid in high doses would prevent the cytokine storm.

Here's my question:

If not the cytokine storm, then what?

Let's go through the process. Virus attacks bodies cells, multiplies rapidly. You become symptomatic weeks later, after it's infiltration is systemic within bodily tissues.

Immune system sees the virus, mounts defense, and goes into overdrive, as the virus's markers are present all over the body at this point.

Okay, well the body is attempting to drive the virus back into a dormant state by killing off all infected cells, which are many. If not kill, then they will continue to spread, and hijack these cells.

If not the cytokine storm, then what? Will the body use less caustic forms of healing? Will the patient continue to deteriorate?
edit on 22-8-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It was pointed out by a helpful soul that I had inadvertently listed L-acetylcysteine. Should be N-acetylcysteine. That'll teach me to type while having unrelated inane kid conversations. Sorry for any confusion.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I already have a few auto-immune diseases so I understand limited forms of cytokine storms. What I do is maintain a perfect balance of imperfect health ;-) I deliberately deplete my immune system so I don't go blind and don't have every joint in my body seize up. It's sorta kinda worked for me for a number of years, like 20.

Now, with these full blown cytokine storms, has anyone considered the use of methotrexate or imuran to temporarily turn off the auto-immune system and reset it? I wouldn't go with steriods like prednisone as they can cause Cushings Disease, plus they mask symptoms and if you have a depleted pancreas (pancreatitis) you can die.

Now, for Ebola to cause a cytokine storm in the body, it would have to change the genetic markers on the bodies cells, or change the targeting of the immune system. Anyone know which it does?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this sofi!!!!!!

I recently self-diagnosed osteoarthritis in my thumbs and started taking curcumin and boswellia....with bioperine [black pepper extract] added because the body does not utilize curcumin well on its own.
Arthritis is an inflammation.....and I can attest to it's working after a couple/few weeks.

As far as the anti-inflam diet....I know those who say its worked very well overall....and really try to follow it........

How would you rank oregano and olive leaf for fighting various infections??

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

.....has anyone considered the use of methotrexate or imuran to temporarily turn off the auto-immune system and reset it? ....
Now, for Ebola to cause a cytokine storm in the body, it would have to change the genetic markers on the bodies cells, or change the targeting of the immune system. Anyone know which it does?

Methotrexate or imuran probably have not been tried, but I don't know for sure. ....No one has had much opportunity to test things on Ebola patients - previous victims have been isolated in remote -inaccessible- jungle areas - and it's unethical to infect people on purpose just to try things out. [So even if someone did it, they couldn't report their results.]

....Fact is, no one really understands Ebola OR the immune system. They're scrambling. But there are hints - you might follow-up on Ebola's nifty VP40 Transformer Protein. As well, the 2012 article linked in the OP offers a good overview of the gaps and current knowledge (not much has changed yet, but expect substantial breakthroughs following this epidemic).

The term “cytokine storm” calls up vivid images of an immune system gone awry and an inflammatory response flaring out of control (Fig. 1). The term has captured the attention of the public and the scientific community alike and is increasingly being used in both the popular media and the scientific literature. However, while the general concept of an excessive or uncontrolled release of proinflammatory cytokines is well known, an actual definition of what constitutes a cytokine storm is lacking. Furthermore, there is not a good understanding of the molecular events that precipitate a cytokine storm, of the contribution such a “storm” makes to pathogenesis, or of what therapeutic strategies might be used to prevent the storm or quell it once it has started.

edit on 23/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Thanks for posting this sofi!!!!!!
....How would you rank oregano and olive leaf for fighting various infections??

You're welcome - and thank you. ...Hard to prove what's effective against what because tests focus on one bacteria/virus at a time, and results can't be extrapolated to other species. But, quick search...

Oregano is a proven antibiotic, meaning it fights bacteria and likely helps fight super-imposed opportunistic infections that occur with viral infections like colds and flu. Also see:

Susceptibility of Drug-Resistant Clinical Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Strains to Essential Oils of Ginger, Thyme, Hyssop, and Sandalwood

Olive leaf has been shown to have antimicrobial as well as anti-viral properties.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Correct combinations are best:

sLinky

AV1-HPV Composition of Example 1 (see table C) contains: Eugenol methylether 12.5% Linalooloxide 12.5% (cis+trans)-1,2-(+)-Limonene oxide 12.5% (+/−)-Isomenthol 12.5% (−)-Carvone 12.5% Trans-Geraniol 12.5% Eugenol 12.5% (+)-Carvone 12.5%

Looks good to me:

AV1-HPV See the composition 100% in total Between 30-100% regression of Examplee 1 of lesions on the surface of (on the page the cervix

Conclusion:

A synergism therefore exists between (+)carvone and (−)carvone and trans-geraniol and additional essential oils component(s) of the present composition(s). There is a surprising and unexpected effect (in terms of regression of lesions on the surface of the cervix) to use the pure or diluted composition(s) of the present invention compared to the pure or diluted placebo compositions 1 to 24.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join