It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Discovered In Antarctic Lake That Hasn't Seen Sunlight For Millions Of Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That's Right My Friend's,,,,, Isn't the Title Cool,,, or should I say,,,, Cold and Dark!
OH, before I forget, I used our All Powerful Search Function and did see this article posted as of yet.

Ok, I think this is very Cool, This could mean there's Life on the moon of Jupiter, Europa.
Anyway, I'll bow out and let you all read.

Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth, teems with microscopic life. Tiny organisms dwell on the ice and live inside glaciers, and now, researchers confirm, a rich microbial ecosystem persists underneath the thick ice sheet, where no sunlight has been felt for millions of years.

Nearly 4,000 species of microbes inhabit Lake Whillans, which lies beneath 2,625 feet (800 meters) of ice in West Antarctica, researchers report today (Aug. 20) in the journal Nature. These are the first organisms ever retrieved from a subglacial Antarctic lake.

"We found not just that things are alive, but that there's an active ecosystem," said lead study author Brent Christner, a microbiologist at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. "If you had to think up what would be the coolest scenario for an ecosystem in Antarctica, you couldn't make this up."

The Huff
You can just see a Scientist running around with his hands in the air Screaming, It's Alive,,, It's Alive!!!!
Sorry, couldn't help myself!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It's a very cool story, also found here

...sorry, different forum and source though so, I dunno...carry on

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom

Well you know, I Thank You, it just goes to show you, the Search Function has Really
Failed Lately.

MODS, Please delete this worthless thread, the Article was already posted and I used the Search Function in
Four different ways to try and find if this article had been posted.
Sorry ATS Friends.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: guohua

originally posted by: kalunom

Well you know, I Thank You, it just goes to show you, the Search Function has Really
Failed Lately.

MODS, Please delete this worthless thread, the Article was already posted and I used the Search Function in
Four different ways to try and find if this article had been posted.
Sorry ATS Friends.

It happens to the best of us guohua, no need for apologies and such. Anybody that has posted more the 4 or 5 threads have been there and done that. You'd rather double post it than to not mention anything at all about something that might be important IMO.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: guohua

The search does leave a lot to be desired - I just happened to see the post earlier and knew where to go.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe
Thank You My Good Friend For Being So Very, Very Understanding,,,, You know and I know you remember
there was a time, not to long ago, you could use the Search Function and not have a doubt about it's
findings.

I just think it's so very cool that life is every where,,, I mean Every Where from the Space Station To the
Darkest Places.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: guohua
Failed lately

"Lately" he says loooool.

top topics

join