It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips for dealing with LEO during traffic stops without relinquishing your freedoms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My brother-in-law, a chronic speeder, generally avoids speeding tickets by pulling to the side of the road as soon as he thinks he's been "lighted up." If the cop turns around, he's just waiting there with an "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was going that fast" and he's usually left off. If the cop doesn't turn around, two minutes on the side of the road and he's on his way, ticket evaded.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

These are things you don't have to worry about in the UK. At worse, they may rough you up but even then, you have free health care so... whatever.

I've seen a few Brits post bad stuff about the uk police, and we probably do have a few bad apples, but at this present time it really is just the odd bad apple, on the whole they are reasonable, and you really do have to attract them in some way before they pull you over. I havent been stopped once in the last thirty years of driving!
I think the younger generation are more likely to be stopped because of drugs, but even then they'd have to do something to get their attention.

As for the free health service, well its not really free, just a very civilized way of running it. We all pay a small part of our wage towards it and everyone is covered. Even the homeless tramp can go to any hospital and get the same treatment I'd get. I think thats how it should be.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm not going to admit guilt, even if I was speeding. They are going to have to put in a little legwork here.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: sputniksteve

1. Pull into a well lit area. If possible on a camera aka walmart or a convince store
2, turn on hazards to attract attention of passersbys to the stop
3, turn key to accessory position
4.wait until officer arrives at window and dont answer any questions put to u. Always play dumb. They will try to get you to slip up
5. Keys in accessory position incase you have to outrun bullets
6.keep lights off to make yourself a harder target
7.never roll down your windows further than needed to hand the officer any requested info
8.always be ready to fight or flight
9.never address the officer as this could be taken as a threatening action

I decided not to duplicate the two you did

Thats how it is now in america

The police are your enemy and should never be appeased

Or your children will suffer

Praying this is simply sarcasm I missed. Otherwise your user name is very true. So ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wait until the officer gets to your window. Then say F the police, stomp on the gas and start zigzagging down the highway. --*Things NOT to do when you get pulled over by the fuzz.

In my experience, being polite works. But I will not allow them to violate my rights. Know your rights and know them well, as they can vary from state to state. Do not let them search without a warrant. When they bring their stupid dog to sniff around your vehicle, ask where and who trained this dog and if it is certified or not. Ask if you are being detained. If not, ask if you can leave. Always be respectful. There's some good vid's on how to deal with getting caught in a check-point.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

In general, you are correct in that being polite and respectful are your best bet to making your interaction quick and painless. Of course you should always know your rights and never consent to a search but but being a pocket amendment d-bag is never, ever going to help your cause.

Like I said in my OP, following those general principles has almost always helped me avoid well deserve tickets and searches. The key is to always make the officer comfortable and feel respected and in control, and never make them feel like their safety is in question. In most situations they are people just like us with families and lives outside of work that they want to return to safely and usually helping them achieve that goal usually works out in your favor.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If you are carrying anything illegal put it in the engine compartment.

When was the last time you ever saw a cop open the hood when doing a search.

If they do open the hood ask them to check your fluid levels while they are at it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Ya don't put it the engine compartment, it gets very hot in there and you might get some smoke coming out of there depending on what you you put in there.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Great post Steve!

As a former LEO, I'd like to offer the following as food for thought:

1) Most of us will be professional
2) Were all humans, and some of us still have compassion for others
3) We also have bad days, and some of us unfairly take it out on others

With those things in mind, the following tips may be beneficial:

-Deep down we want to be professional, don't make it personal with us (by for instance saying: "I hope your mother xxxx xx xxxx" to us. Yes someone actually said that to me before.)

-Politely but respectfully refuse to allow a search of your car or person.

-Do not make any admissions of guilt, ask for a lawyer if asked specific questions about knowledge of, or participation in a crime.

-Do ask if you are being detained or are free to go at any point during questioning

-If you're about to be arrested, don't try to talk your way out of it. Lawyer up and remain silent.

-Preferably don't do anything illegal, then you won't have to worry about most things (corrupt cops planting evidence aside)

-Know your rights and use them

-If you're being illegally searched, remember every detail possible. Don't resist, it'll just provoke the already abusive officer

A note on corrupt cops and illegal searches: I am in no way condoning this or saying you should allow your rights to be violated. I say this because, as we've seen in Albuquerque where officers were charged with murder, police do sometimes illegally kill people. For your own safety, I'd just cooperate to the best of your ability and remember all the details. IA people take allegations very seriously, and you will have your chance to stand up for your rights. Just wouldn't want to see some monster (literally the 1 in 1,000,000) hurt someone resisting their "almighty" authority.

Be safe out there, and remember most cops aren't the evil people shown on a TV. Most of them are normal, compasionate humans. With lives and feelings just like you. A little kindness goes a long way...on both ends!

JB
edit on 1/29/2015 by JBurns because: Hit post too soon on accident

edit on 1/29/2015 by JBurns because: Autocorrect mispellings

edit on 1/29/2015 by JBurns because: found more autocorrect errors

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is generally good advice. I don't think it's necessary to call them sir or anything though. I don't think they care about that. Most of the mistakes people make are mistakes like reaching for their ID before the cop gets to the car. It seems like a common sense thing to do but when you think about it, the cop doesn't know what you're reaching for.

I think some people do make the mistake of being a complete jerk and that's not good either.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Great post Steve!

As a former LEO, I'd like to offer the following as food for thought:

1) Most of us will be professional
2) Were all humans, and some of us still have compassion for others
3) We also have bad days, and some of us unfairly take it out on others
Good advice and thanks for posting. I recall being popped for some drivers licence/insurance paperwork, and I asked the cop "Got time for a story?" He said "Try me" and I laid out the extenuating circumstances involved. He told me to fix it, fax him the verifications, and see him in court, where he'd get the Crown to drop it. All was done accordingly and worked out fine. Yes...I'm a white male...but I also get mistaken for Native...or a Biker...or a Native Biker...lol.
Good stories need to get told, too.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join