Here are some tips to deal with LEO during traffic stops that won't require you to relinquish your personal freedoms. The goal of these tips is to
make the officer in question feel as comfortable as possible which may help you in coming out of the situation without any altercations and possibly
without any citations all the while negating the need to "bow down" to the boys/girls in blue.
1. Once it has been established you are being pulled over, do so at your earliest and safest convenience.
2. Turn on your hazard lights
3. Turn off your vehicle
4.Wait until the officer arrives at your window before you attempt to pull out any registration from your glove box, and tell them what you are
intending to do (the reason to wait is so they don't think you are reaching for any weapons prior to them approaching your vehicle)
5.Place your keys on top of your dashboard (# 3 and 5 are to give the officer peace of mind that you are not going to try and flee)
6.Turn on your interior lights (it helps if your car is not full of trash, the light and clean interior gives the officer reasonable belief that you
aren't hiding any drugs, weapons, or people.
7. Roll down both your driver and back passenger windows, especialy if they are tinted (gives the officer line of sight into all of the vehicle so
they can see you aren't hiding anything or any body
8. Place your keys on top of your dashboard (# 3 and 8 are to give the officer a reason to believe you are not going to try and flee)
9. Always use the term "sir" or "ma'am", or in other words be polite
10. Always keep your hands at 10 and 2 in order to keep your hands in plain sight, should go earlier in the list but I didn't want to renumber them
all. (Thanks to deeplmpactx for reminding me this one)
Obviously these are not fool proof tactics to guarantee that you won't be hassled or ticketed, but I can tell you first hand I have gotten out of well
deserved tickets and kept my car from being searched in times that I was carrying things that would have most definitely landed me in jail/prison for
None of these tactics require you to "sell out" or give up any of your rights, but they do succeed in making the officer involved more comfortable
which always helps and may
help you to proceed without any citations or hassle.
Hopefully any LEO members can attest to these tactics as being helpful and possibly add any of their own.
In light of recent events and talks of people bitching about police over stepping their boundaries I felt it a good time to share these tactics that I
use every time without fail Like I said it has
kept me from getting well deserved tickets and well deserved searches. Hopefully it will help
someone else in the future.
edit on 8/21/2014 by sputniksteve because: clarification
edit on 8/21/2014 by sputniksteve
because: forgot the hands thing.
edit on 8/21/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)