It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23rd August 1944,an event that shortened the WW2 by 6 months and saved some millions of lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I made this thread here on ATS to commemorate 70 years since this event,and I am proud as a romanian to show the world that we contributed to put an end to the WW2.

In 23rd august 1944,an event that isn't so popular around the world happened in Romania.
23rd august has 2 points that needs to be presented:a good one but also a bad one for Romania.

First of all,I want to present the whole historic event in a simple way:
Romania was an ally with Nazi Germany in WW2.King Michael I of Romania en.wikipedia.org... didn't want for the romanian army to fight agaimst Russia,so he called the Marshal of Romania, Antonescu en.wikipedia.org... to make an armistice with the allied powers.He refused it so he got arrested.After that,Romania has allied with Russia.

It looks simple but this short event,according to some historians, reduced the WW2 by 6 months and saved a few million lives.But there was also something that was pretty bad: 170.000 romanian soldiers has been captured and 70.000 romanians were sent in Russia.And also,after the WW2,the commie period has been implemented,as some would say,a dark period in the romanian history.

There were also voices which tells that Michael 1 of Romania was a coward because he abdicated(read the above link about him) .He litteraly saved the lives of a few hundreds students,the soviet army treathened him if he doesn't abdicate they will kill those students.

Cheers from Romania and have a nice day !

Peace!
edit on 21-8-2014 by PaulTheDuke because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2014 by PaulTheDuke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Thanks Romania.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Wow, 70 years for me to learn of this historical event. And I've read my fair share of WWII history.

Thank you for sharing this and "keep-it-coming" from Romania!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

I am glad to help you and others with this historic event for your general knowledge

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sometimes it is the small events that were of much greater importance than history gives credit for.'

I salute Romania and their abdicated King for helping to shorten that war.'

My grandfather was one of the lucky ones who survived the landings along Omaha beach. Out of 35 of him and his friends from Chicago he was the only one to return. He never spoke of it the rest of his life. I only found out from my grandmother ten years after his death when I asked about his purple heart and his uniform she has.

edit on 21-8-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Out of 35 of him and his friends from Chicago he was the only one to return. He never spoke of it the rest of his life.

It shivered me when I read it
. R.I.P your grandpa,one of the WW2 heroes !

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I wonder how many rhomanies and jews they killed since day one tho.. thanks for Russia i would say to save the day.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I definitely need to study the Eastern front more.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: romilo

Marshal Antonescu killed a lot of rhomanyes in the WW2.I don't have the precise number but i think that there were 300.000 . I am not so sure.

top topics

join